Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2012, 14:54   #1
BHPian

Multi map selection using the cruise control on my Octavia vRS

Guys after months of research, sleepless nights and blowing my ecu I have finally achieved what I set out for, Multiple maps with the cruise control on the fly , and also some variations like switching with brake and accelerator on the fly. As of now I have done zero hardware modifications but am still able to hit above 200 bhp.

I have put 5 boost levels 1) valet 2) 180bhp 3) 150 bhp 4) about 190 but more aggressive 5) crazy boost.
Also three different timing maps can be selected with the cruise dec/set button.
Any number of variations can be added. I am not much of a writer so will keep adding my progress.
Born2Slow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 15:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Multi map selection using cruise control on vrs

What remap are you using? Have you developed your own map? Im asking because APR has a remap with a similar feature set for the 1.8T
JayD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 15:14   #3
BHPian

Yes its my own. Apr I dont think lets you switch when you are driving the car.
Old 9th March 2012, 18:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

B2S,

Please give us more information here...

- How did you flash the new maps?
- What ECU are you using?
- How did you create these maps (on the dyno / street / based on others?)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 19:14   #5
BHPian

i) How I flashed ---- galletto | eBay. Thats one of the methods.
ii) My ecu is fried so I bought a similar ecu from uk . But my brother also has a vrs which has stock ecu, so it is working on that too.
III) I created all these maps on the roads as I don't have access to a dyno.
I have left it mostly stock and only changing the maps for fuelling, timing and boost.

The maps are switched by pressing the clutch and switching on the cruise control, then off and again on for the next map. I have created a lean map also for better mileage, my brother used to average 8 for his drive to office but now he gets close to 11. But obviously it will burn your catcon.
I am not a big fan of writing lengthy answers so please ask whatever questions you have and I will reply.
Thanks
Born2Slow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 19:24   #6
BHPian

Hitting 200 on the stock injectors? Thats mighty good. If i'm right, the 6 speed 180hp variant available back then in int'l markets had the same engine and turbo but bigger injectors.
Old 9th March 2012, 19:26   #7
BHPian

Yes no problem the stock injectors and pump is up for the job. I calculate the power by the formula MAF reading/0.8. Will be a bit off as the timing has to be retarded to counter knock.
Old 10th March 2012, 21:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Hitting 200 on the stock injectors? Thats mighty good. If i'm right, the 6 speed 180hp variant available back then in int'l markets had the same engine and turbo but bigger injectors.
Its alright for injectors and no problems at all. They are made to handle much higher pressure. Its the suspension and drive-shaft that i am worried about. As its a FF layout car. 200bhp if its true is more on the higher side going to wheels that is also used to steer the car.

@OP
More detail thread with images of you endeavor would make this thread very lively.

Thanks

Last edited by SirAlec : 10th March 2012 at 21:19.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 22:47   #9
BHPian

Re: Multi map selection using the cruise control on my Octavia vRS

I plan to post some videos and logs soon. Yes front wheel drive is a problem. There is lot of wheel spin even in second gear . That is what encouraged me to make a switchable map otherwise driving in traffic is very uncomfortable. The chassis is holding well and the stock brakes are good.
Old 11th March 2012, 12:41   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Slow View Post
I calculate the power by the formula MAF reading/0.8.
Hmm... If it is true 200bhp on-road, then, as SirAlec mentioned I would be worried about the driveshafts.

And also the clutch. btw, does the Indian version have the same clutch as the one that was sold outside India? With 180bhp or so?
Old 11th March 2012, 13:54   #11
BHPian

From the logging I did in the stock vehicle air consumption is limited to less than 120 grams/sec , in the modified form it touches as high as 160 grams/sec. More than that the engine load which is a fair indicator of the torque output which is highest at around 4000 rpm is way higher than stock, so I cant assume everything is going to be fine, you win some you loose some . I have 2 cars for testing so I plan to replace with stronger parts as and when anything goes wrong. As of now everything is just fine. Personally I prefer the stock 180 power curve as it has a very linear power delivery and is fun to drive. Also with higher loads the lambda hits 0.65 (afr 9.5) if left in stock , so fuel consumption is also a worry.

Regarding the clutch I have no Idea.
A snap of one of my experimental vehicles .(sorry about the bird droppings)
Attached Thumbnails
Multi map selection using the cruise control on my Octavia vRS-img_20111007_170619.jpg  

Born2Slow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 21:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Would really like to know what you have done/ how you have done it. Not the maps themselves, which is another story altogether.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 11th March 2012, 23:09   #13
BHPian

Wow !
I used to own a 240bhp modded RS (done by Pete's).
Was an absolute hoot to drive and the engine packed a fantastic mid-range punch.

Just don't go over 200bhp as its a front wheel drive and the torque steer will be crazy.
ecclipse78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 00:58   #14
BHPian

NefMoto - Index
This is a nice place to start, I learnt most of my stuff there. Please dont ask for freebies , it will take you some time to learn but it is worth it. You can track my work there by searching for the username "rajivc666" . You can ask me any queries you have and I will be happy to help you out.
Old 12th March 2012, 21:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Aah! A game of 20 questions then.

I take it that you are using the original ECU, and nothing extra/ added/ piggyback etc. That is what caught my eye.

For starters this means two things:
Either the original ECU has spare input pin(s), or you have usurped the function of one (or some) of them. Might or might not be a big deal.
But
Now you will have to modify the actual ECU program (I mean the code, not tables/ maps). If one has the original (commented) source, and access to the original toolchain, not really too difficult. But without it, I would consider it almost impossible. The only (viable) option would be write the code from scratch, new, (lets call it rooting the ECU) rather than patching the original code.

If I am correct in my assumptions, would like to know how you did it. Or be educated as to my (mis)assumptions.

Next questions after this is cleared.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks