Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2012, 03:37   #1
BHPian

My Bro-In Law was travelling in his 2005 Honda Accord when suddenly he noticed smoke coming from the right side wheel. He checked the temprature gauge etc. but all were showing right temprature. He stepped out of the car to see what could be wrong and moments later, the car burst into fire . According to him, the fire was on the right fender just above the tyre. Due to huge jams , fire tenders were delayed and while bus drivers tried to help with their anti fire kits, they were all expired and no foam was left in them. Ultimately the car just had a boot left with everything else burnt to ash :( .

I myself have an accord too and all through these years and have been wondering, what da hell just happened and why it happened !!!! Any ideas for i have too many accords in my relatives and they all are worried now about what could have gone wrong. Incidentally, my cousin just completed 250,000 on his Honda Accord before Getting a New E Class and this burnt Accord had done about 60,000 KM Only.

Here are the car pics. Notice how only 1 tyre is burnt and all other are fine...something went wrong on that side only...
Attached Thumbnails
Accord Burnt !!!-13032012008.jpg  

Accord Burnt !!!-13032012009.jpg  

Accord Burnt !!!-13032012010.jpg  

Accord Burnt !!!-13032012011.jpg  

Accord Burnt !!!-13032012012.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 13th March 2012 at 21:19. Reason: Adding fire pictures to the opening post for better visibility
Old 10th March 2012, 04:25   #2
BHPian

Re: Accord Burnt !!!

I too had a 2005 Honda Accord till 3 years back and that is really shocking, never come across an Accord catching fire.

There a number of reasons that come to mind, short circuiting due to poor aftermarket install of HID, ICE, etc. Fuel lines leaking (Had this issue in my own Accord), oil leaks. But the entire car being burnt down requires a major fault.
Old 10th March 2012, 04:28   #3
BHPian

No HIDs and the car recently came back from a service..so its rather strange and there are questions that are unanswered, the worst part was, as soon as my bro-in law stepped out, the car locked by itself and had it been few seconds later, things could have been worse :(
Old 10th March 2012, 06:57   #4
BHPian

Frozen brake caliper, bad bearing, wheel liner in contact with tire, leaking oil of fuel in the engine on to an exhaust component, or so many other similar causes are possible for an incident such as this.
VCheng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 06:59   #5
BHPian

I think the car was being driven with the front brakes partly locked in some way. That overheated the brakes, pads, wheels & finally the brake fluid. That's what I believe started the fire, from the info you have provided.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 09:49   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 13th March 2012 at 21:20.
carboy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th March 2012, 10:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Did this happen last night near Punjabi Bagh?
Old 10th March 2012, 10:17   #8
BHPian

Thats Right - Just when you cross Raja Garden Fly Over....
Old 10th March 2012, 10:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Geez.. I was passing by and had called up 100 to inform the same.
panky12345 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 12:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
I think the car was being driven with the front brakes partly locked in some way. That overheated the brakes, pads, wheels & finally the brake fluid. That's what I believe started the fire, from the info you have provided.
This is quite possible! Ive experienced this when our front Left brake got jammed and caught fire after some spirited driving. Luckily the car had a fire extinguisher. The caliper piston seals were clogged with dirt and didnt let the pistons retract causing the brake to be 'ON' throughout!

Which side is the battery fixed in the Accord?
Old 10th March 2012, 13:08   #11
BHPian

This indeed does sound like the brakes were remained pressed somewhat. Did your brother in-law mention whether the car felt sort of restrained or not eager to go ahead? If he did it could prove the brakes were still on. This is the first such incident I've heard of in an accord.
James: The battery is on the driver's side.
Old 10th March 2012, 13:13   #12
BHPian

What I have experienced with the Civic (which uses a similar braking system to the Accord) is if I park the car overnight with the handbrake pulled, the brake-pads, especially in front, make a noise when brake is released in the morning. Its like they get stuck on the discs. If instead of doing this, I park overnight with the shifter in 'P', there is no brake-sticking noise in the mornings.

Could these sticky-brakes cause this much heat to cause a fire? Maybe!

Anyways it is not possible that the driver forgot to release the parking brake since there is a definite beep-beep-beep in the car which warns you about this if you do such a thing.
Old 10th March 2012, 13:46   #13
BHPian

The handbrake was down and the car was barely driven for 3 KM when this occurred. I Myself suspect caliper pin for this. BTW another damn thing : Honda wants 5% of the value of the vehicle as estimate issuing cost :o Never heard of such costs ! Any idea on such costing for the guy started at 15% and now is asking 5% and still ready to negotiate. I think this is not asked for by any workshop or is it ?
Old 10th March 2012, 14:04   #14
BHPian

Jesus. Thank god your brother in law was out.
Seems even Honda cannot escape the fire in cars.

This all has me a bit concerned. Any idea where one can buy fire extinguishers for cars and homes?
Old 10th March 2012, 15:33   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Jesus. Thank god your brother in law was out.
Seems even Honda cannot escape the fire in cars.

This all has me a bit concerned. Any idea where one can buy fire extinguishers for cars and homes?
I would run and put a safe distance rather than trying to extinguish a fire in the car. House is a different matter, though.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed