Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2012, 12:48   #1
BHPian

Swift - a bit of wobble/shake - a worry

I had left my car ( swift vxi 2008 ) unused for about 6-7 weeks.

I'm back to driving after a hiatus of 3 months due to a leg injury. During my first drive after the break, the car suddenly feels very wobbly - most noticed when in low-mid speeds ( < 40 kmph; above which it seems to feel usual ).

The behaviour is best described by imagining the drive quality when you've kept the tyre pressure 6-7 units below standard recommendation. I always keep the tyre pressure 5 units above the recommendation ( I have 185x70x14 Yoko A-drive which I got October last year, and no problems observed since then, have done 6k with them) - I'm used to my car tyres thudding hard into the potholes/crests on the road until now. So it's a serious worry now, when I drive over potholes, it softlands ( like if there was insufficient tyre pressure ) and on a smooth road it seems to wobble left-right-left-right. ( Current Tyre pressure is at 37, I think 4 more than recommended, and always been so )

Does it need a suspension job ? What could be wrong ? I'm taking it to the service station this week, but I'm losing sleep over this.''

(There are a lot of rats around my place, I hope they've not been gnawing at stuff although hard to tie any of their activities to this )

Last edited by airguitar : 18th March 2012 at 12:50.
Old 18th March 2012, 12:58   #2
BHPian

Re: Swift - a bit of wobble/shake - a worry

It could be the wheel bearings. I had a similar problem that was rectified by a change of the wheel bearings.

Cheers,
Tapish
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 13:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
It could be the wheel bearings. I had a similar problem that was rectified by a change of the wheel bearings.

Cheers,
Tapish
Thanks, Tapish. In fact I had to get the bearing on one wheel changed ( because of excessive humming noise ) just a week before I stopped driving. So it could be the other wheels then :(

Regards
Old 18th March 2012, 13:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Thanks, Tapish. In fact I had to get the bearing on one wheel changed ( because of excessive humming noise ) just a week before I stopped driving. So it could be the other wheels then :(

Regards
Surely. Get it checked.
By the way, why did you get the bearings changed on one wheel? As in was the problem traced to only one wheel??

Cheers
Tapish
Old 18th March 2012, 13:18   #5
BHPian

Yes there was an awful noise the car made and the service guys traced it to bearing on one of the wheels, replacing which the noise went away.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 13:29   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Firstly, 37 is above any recommendation this forum offers. Manufacturer mentioned figures are always on the higher side for mileage considerations, and to maintain tyre pressures higher than those are not recommended. Around 28-30 psi for all 4-tyres is a better option.

Secondly, since the car has been leaning on the same points in the tyres - having been disused for 6-7 weeks, try a simple rotation/balancing/alignment while getting the air pressures checked.

Thirdly, if I understood your problem right, you feel a softer/mushy ride compared to earlier. It could very well be due to the reduction in tyre pressures over a 7 week duration, and therefore, just a valid perception. Worn wheel bearings typically have little to do with a softer ride.

Finally, if a car is known to be disused for as long as your has been, it is recommended to jack the car up so that all 4 wheels are off the the ground. Good tyre maintenance activity to prevent potential weakening of the sidewalls owing to constant pressure on the same points of the tyres .
theMAG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 13:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hope you had not loaned the car to an over enthusiastic driver while you were taking a break from driving

I presume you have checked all the wheel nuts for tightness, just in case ?
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 14:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
In fact I had to get the bearing on one wheel changed ( because of excessive humming noise ) just a week before I stopped driving. So it could be the other wheels then :(
I suggest that you may please check the steering knuckle (on which the bearings are mounted) too, as they may also suffer due to faulty bearings.
rahul4640 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 14:33   #9
BANNED

6 to 7 weeks of keeping a car idle means nothing... Most of the vintage/ classic cars i have maintained are kept idle for over a year, and inspite of that, you start them and run it, it will still run like before...

Get the car serviced at the A.S.C before experimenting
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 15:20   #10
BHPian

I must say that I agree with theMAG, the tyre pressure may actually have gone down while you didnt use the car. Get it checked. Best to do a rotation also. BUT I wouldnt recommend you have such a high psi in your tyres for long periods of time as they are only going to damage your Yoko's (and your back!).
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 19:02   #11
BHPian

Thank you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Firstly, 37 is above any recommendation this forum offers. Manufacturer mentioned figures are always on the higher side for mileage considerations, and to maintain tyre pressures higher than those are not recommended. Around 28-30 psi for all 4-tyres is a better option..

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
I must say that I agree with theMAG, the tyre pressure may actually have gone down while you didnt use the car. Get it checked. Best to do a rotation also. BUT I wouldnt recommend you have such a high psi in your tyres for long periods of time as they are only going to damage your Yoko's (and your back!).

Thanks, guys. Will reduce it ( for some reason, I've worried about flats being caused by lesser tyre pressures, but I guess was just being paranoid )

Quote:
Secondly, since the car has been leaning on the same points in the tyres - having been disused for 6-7 weeks, try a simple rotation/balancing/alignment while getting the air pressures checked..
Quote:
Thirdly, if I understood your problem right, you feel a softer/mushy ride compared to earlier. It could very well be due to the reduction in tyre pressures over a 7 week duration, and therefore, just a valid perception. Worn wheel bearings typically have little to do with a softer ride. .
Thanks - no, but the first thing I did was get the tyres pumped - it's still softlanding despite keeping a 37. It just seems to bounce off the potholes like a rubber ball.

Quote:
Finally, if a car is known to be disused for as long as your has been, it is recommended to jack the car up so that all 4 wheels are off the the ground. Good tyre maintenance activity to prevent potential weakening of the sidewalls owing to constant pressure on the same points of the tyres .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hope you had not loaned the car to an over enthusiastic driver while you were taking a break from driving

I presume you have checked all the wheel nuts for tightness, just in case ?
No to both questions . Taking to the service station first thing this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
I suggest that you may please check the steering knuckle (on which the bearings are mounted) too, as they may also suffer due to faulty bearings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
6 to 7 weeks of keeping a car idle means nothing... Most of the vintage/ classic cars i have maintained are kept idle for over a year, and inspite of that, you start them and run it, it will still run like before...

Get the car serviced at the A.S.C before experimenting

Taking it to the ASC guys, will post back on this thread later this week.
Old 19th March 2012, 02:40   #12
BHPian

Tires will develop flat spots over time. A few warmup cycles usually correct this condition if not too bad.
Old 19th March 2012, 09:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

3 to 4 months parked at one place will not cause any problems in suspension, or other areas. All you might have to do is get Tyre pressure checked, wheels aligned and balanced. There are chances that the friction in the bearings and other moving joints would be high as they have not moved for such long time hence its wise to get them opened and greasing/oiling might be needed.

Other then that i do not see any other areas that could cause this.
Old 13th April 2012, 23:13   #14
BHPian

The service guys didn't quite agree that there was a problem. Anyway, after service, reducing the tyre pressure and driving it out for a few hundred kms, it feels like what it was earlier..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks