Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2015, 13:36   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Does any one know the situation with the Punto Evo, Avventura and updated Linea. Is Fiat India still selling cars that are sure to go through premature timing chain failures?
As per the dealership guys post 2012 cars are very reliable .Among these cars punto is the least affected. Fiat upgraded almost 62 internal parts during the 2012 update .No information about which all parts got updated. Any way keep any eye on your oil level if you changed the timing chain recently .

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
They have not updated the engine,and still sticking to 15K Oil change interval;
Fiat released an internal circular revising the recommended service to 10k . All the owners are not informed officially .

Last edited by justin.das : 5th February 2015 at 14:04.
Old 21st March 2015, 05:29   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall

Is the timing chain at 60k kms compulsory only for the diesel engine Fiat cars? I own a 2009 Linea petrol and have clocked 60k lms. Was wondering whether the timing chain change is needed now.
Old 21st March 2015, 10:21   #123
BHPian

Coolboy,

As per the service schedule, the timing belt(toothed) for the petrol version should be changed at 60,000 km or in any case 5 years. Since your car is pre-2012 model, better get it inspected and see if its good to go for more. If your engine sound is more and is increasing during cold starts, better get it replaced.

But I don't know why they insist on replacement on a short time interval. I never had to change the timing belt in my esteem petrol even after clocking 1,20,000km.
Umesh Kumar61 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 10:59   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Is the timing chain at 60k kms compulsory only for the diesel engine Fiat cars? I own a 2009 Linea petrol and have clocked 60k lms. Was wondering whether the timing chain change is needed now.
Your car being a petrol would have a timing belt, and yes it also needs periodic maintenance. Check your manual for the details, AFAIK it was 60k kms or 4 years.
DRIV3R is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 14:10   #125
BHPian

Guys

My 2012 75HP Punto diesel is at the service center now for its 75000km service. I remember reading in service manual booklet that timing belt has to be changed every 4 years, I do not have the booklet now and the Service Advisor appeared clueless.

Can anybody confirm whether 75hp requires timing belt replacement every 4 years?
Old 20th February 2016, 20:44   #126
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys

My 2012 75HP Punto diesel is at the service center now for its 75000km service. I remember reading in service manual booklet that timing belt has to be changed every 4 years, I do not have the booklet now and the Service Advisor appeared clueless.

Can anybody confirm whether 75hp requires timing belt replacement every 4 years?
Hey,

Look at the owners manual it should be mentioned mostly. Check page 141 and 142 of the Punto. The maintenance schedule is given and at the base of mentions the time-frame to change the belt is 4 years irrespective of the distance covered.

Check the images below:

Owners Manual for Punto
Name:  ForumRunner_20160220_204308.png
Views: 4396
Size:  86.7 KB

Maintenance Schedule for Diesels
Name:  ForumRunner_20160220_204315.png
Views: 5079
Size:  78.6 KB

PS: I have highlighted for easier reference and reading.

SOURCE: http://www.myfiatworld.in/showthread...T-User-Manuals
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 22:39   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hey,

Look at the owners manual it should be mentioned mostly. Check page 141 and 142 of the Punto. The maintenance schedule is given and at the base of mentions the time-frame to change the belt is 4 years irrespective of the distance covered.

Check the images below:

Owners Manual for Punto

Maintenance Schedule for Diesels

PS: I have highlighted for easier reference and reading.

SOURCE: http://www.myfiatworld.in/showthread...T-User-Manuals
Thanks a bunch! This was really helpful..
Old 5th December 2017, 19:05   #128
BHPian

Last weekend i was at KHT Motors, Whitefield for the scheduled 1.2 lakh kms service of my Punto 1.3MJD 75HP.

I was just shocked to hear the complete work required for the car. I was recommended things like clutch kit, timing chain & belts, suspension mounts, link rods (L&R) etc. All amounting upto approx 70k.

Now the concern i have is that the 75HP engine didn't have any schedule for the timing chain replacement. Only 90HP engine has it.

Wanted to check with folks here, how does one really determine that this is required?
Old 5th December 2017, 19:56   #129
Senior - BHPian

Timing chain issues do not come with warning signs. Because in engines like TSI, the tensioners fail though it's a chain mechanism that hardly snaps.

It's a hit or miss after a good amount of mileage. Again, the 'good amount' cannot be defined as it varies from car to car, condition to condition. But the thumb rule should be, if you have driven your car 60-75k KMs, have seen enough wear in clutch and suspension for replacement, your timing kit wouldn't be doing very well either. It is only preventive maintenance that works. If you have a city car that can just jump on a tow truck and you could Uber yourself home, it's worth all the risk. But you wouldn't want a 2 week road trip in your 75k run car to be ruined because the timing kit decided to well. Take a call.
Old 24th May 2018, 14:27   #130

Dear Bhpians,

Can someone please give me a lead or help me find a Owner's Manual for Fiat Punto EVO MJD.

Thanks in advance!
Old 26th May 2018, 08:28   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicabhi View Post
Dear Bhpians,

Can someone please give me a lead or help me find a Owner's Manual for Fiat Punto EVO MJD.

Thanks in advance!
Hi,
If you are looking for a hardcopy, it will be better to place an order at your FASS. I doubt the availability of EVOs manual at 99rpm.com. If you are looking for the soft copy, it is available online.
The link below is for the EU spec Punto and has slight difference in the MID etc.

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/24....html?download

PS : We have a thread dedicated for Owners manuals here. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...df-format.html
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 13:43   #132
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, my Linea MJD makes a strange "schrr" sound during early part of the crank at cold start every morning. Attaching a video of the same :

The sound doesn't reappear for the rest of the day. Dunno if it can be the timing chain making this sound since the chain (old type) was changed just 30k kms ago.

Any clue of what could be causing the sound ?

Edit : I'm not talking about the tik-tik sound before crank. It's the schrr like sound during crank.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 10th March 2019 at 13:52.
Old 10th March 2019, 14:06   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Hi guys, my Linea MJD makes a strange "schrr" sound during early part of the crank at cold start every morning.
Is from your starter motor. Get that checked at the ASC. If need be, ask them to swap with another motor and you use the car for 3 or 4 days.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 09:30   #134
BHPian

My fiat avventura has clocked 95000 km and needs urgent timing chain replacement as mandated by its service manual .
I am trying to source the timing kit from outside the authorised service centre and get it replaced by the mechanic working in Fiat ASC at my home .Now the problem is timing kit which is available is meant for tata quadrajets .
I am bit skeptical about the quality of tata timing kit .
Are there any better options or I have to settle for tata spares .
Old 26th June 2020, 09:59   #135
BHPian

Why not get the maruti timing kit complete assembly for the 90hp variant. Surely the quality would be at par if not better. Atleast better then running the risk of timing failure which would lead to unwanted major expense.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed