Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2012, 12:09   #16
BHPian

re: VW Polo/Vento engine mount issue

Guys

I have been using my Polo 1.6 since september. I am not able to hear any rattling noise or is it that i am not able to hear it.
Old 21st March 2012, 12:16   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW Polo/Vento engine mount issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.csk View Post
I have been using my Polo 1.6 since september. I am not able to hear any rattling noise or is it that i am not able to hear it.
There isnt any recall for this issue, if the customer reports the issue, the mountings are replaced. You seem to be good without this mount change.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 12:19   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW Polo/Vento engine mount issue

Hmmmm...my VIN falls in the affected range but no rattling heard for over a year.

Have changed the thread title since there is no evidence that VW looks like it's going to order a recall for this issue.
Old 21st March 2012, 13:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

To just check out the horrible refinement in the polo due to these engine mounts see the video below

Strangely i wouldnt even call it a car.

I am going to speak to the VASS for the new hydraulic engine mounts.
Old 1st August 2012, 14:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I have been having the rattling sound from the time I bought my Polo 1.6 which was 06 months ago. It is a June 2011 manufactured model but I bought the car in Feb 2012.

The problem has been confirmed by VW as the engine & gear box mount which is being replaced under warranty. Wonder why they don't do this before delivery itself.
Old 1st August 2012, 14:35   #21
BHPian

Voila! How come I missed this thread??? This is the exact reason why my Fabia 1.6 is now at the service center. Yes, it's getting replaced under warranty. But, this thread leads me to think whether the replacing mount is another mount altogether (hydraulic or so as on a previous post) or whether it's a just a new mount that will end up giving the same rattling noise after a few kms.

The SA told me that this is an issue with most petrol fabias/polos and does not appear on the newer models. Although, the word "engine mount" may send down shivers down the spine of any new car owner, there really is nothing serious to worry about AFAIK. It's replacable and usually so after a few thousand kms of running - thanks to our road conditions. Yes, in this case, since the mount was not identified as something that needed to be adapted to our road conditions - and not German - its a MINUS for VW. IMHO, they should be recalling the VINs identified to have this problem instead of waiting for a customer who identifies the rattle.

Last edited by mempheS.D : 1st August 2012 at 14:56.
Old 7th August 2012, 19:02   #22
BHPian

Just wanted to provide a status update on this.

Apparently, the hyraulic U-mount is still in en route. When I called the SA and asked him why it's taking so long for an issue so simple, he said the spare hasn't arrived YET!

Me: Arrive from where?
SA: Aurangabad
Me: I thought the manufactuing is done in Aurangabad.
SA: No. It's coming from Czech.
Me: WHAT????
SA: Yes sir!
Me: This is unbelievable. Can I talk to a manager please?
<SA transfers the call>
Mgr: Yes Sir? How can I help?
Me: BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!.. Why is it taking so long?
Mgr: I can try and air-lift the spare from there. Sorry for the delay. I didn't know it's been a week since.
Me: <hmmm..that sounded better>
Old 8th August 2012, 10:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Just wanted to provide a status update on this.

Apparently, the hyraulic U-mount is still in en route. When I called the SA and asked him why it's taking so long for an issue so simple, he said the spare hasn't arrived YET!

Me: Arrive from where?
SA: Aurangabad
Me: I thought the manufactuing is done in Aurangabad.
SA: No. It's coming from Czech.
Me: WHAT????
SA: Yes sir!
Me: This is unbelievable. Can I talk to a manager please?
<SA transfers the call>
Mgr: Yes Sir? How can I help?
Me: BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!.. Why is it taking so long?
Mgr: I can try and air-lift the spare from there. Sorry for the delay. I didn't know it's been a week since.
Me: <hmmm..that sounded better>
Yes the part does come from Aurangabad but it reached my service centre in 02 days. Fitting the part takes 02 hours.
Old 8th August 2012, 11:00   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

In Bangalore the service guys replace the mounts when you go for either the monsoon check up or any service job.

Seems the part is in stock here.

Cheers!
Old 9th August 2012, 17:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Yes the part does come from Aurangabad but it reached my service centre in 02 days. Fitting the part takes 02 hours.
Thanks. Out of curiosity, I rang up the SA again only to find that my engine mounts are still snailing through.

When I asked the SA more questions, he mentioned nothing about replacing the "type" of the mount. He said it's a Q-mount and all this while I thought he said a U-mount.

The erwin document attached on this thread also talks about a Q in the part number for a mount that fits on the 1.6 MPI. Maybe the SA was right, but if the "type" of the mount is not being changed, I wonder how a rattle occurred in the first place.. hmmm.
Old 9th August 2012, 18:05   #26
BHPian

Guys

I am able hear this sound. Probably my first service comes in a month and i will have it replaced. Can i just go and tell that the engine mount needs to be changed or is it that i should ask him to drive my car.

Last edited by vishnu.csk : 9th August 2012 at 18:08.
Old 9th August 2012, 18:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
In Bangalore the service guys replace the mounts when you go for either the monsoon check up or any service job.

Seems the part is in stock here.

Cheers!
You guys are lucky. Probably they test drive the car and identify the issue if they hear an abnormal sound. Please note that the mounts are not changed by default but only if there is a complaint by the customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Thanks. Out of curiosity, I rang up the SA again only to find that my engine mounts are still snailing through.

When I asked the SA more questions, he mentioned nothing about replacing the "type" of the mount. He said it's a Q-mount and all this while I thought he said a U-mount.

The erwin document attached on this thread also talks about a Q in the part number for a mount that fits on the 1.6 MPI. Maybe the SA was right, but if the "type" of the mount is not being changed, I wonder how a rattle occurred in the first place.. hmmm.
The mount is the same but I guess the material is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.csk View Post
Guys

I am able hear this sound. Probably my first service comes in a month and i will have it replaced. Can i just go and tell that the engine mount needs to be changed or is it that i should ask him to drive my car.
Do not tell them. Let them test drive it and identify it themselves. When I gave my car I had no clue about this issue until I was told about it after their inspection and then searched for it on TBHP.

When they test drove my car, they told me that the sound is probably some loose plastic part under the car. It was after proper inspection that they confirmed about the engine mount issue.
Old 9th August 2012, 18:56   #28
Team-BHP Support

It would have been ideal if VW issue a recall for the impacted cars. That kind of transparency will really help the brand in the long-run. Leaving it to get fixed during routine service sounds a bit absurd. What about those not-so-informed owners? They are really at the mercy of the service folks.
Old 9th August 2012, 21:04   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Please note that the mounts are not changed by default but only if there is a complaint by the customer.
They change the mounts based on the VIN numbers for which the cut off indicates when the hydraulic shock mounts were introduced.

Cheers!
Old 18th November 2014, 15:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

During 2nd service, i got my polo's engine mounts changed. (covered under waranty).
I told the SA about some vibes during start-up and idling. The vibrations were very miniscule and i was being picky to be honest, but the SA straightaway agreed to check with VW with the VIN no. After checking, they confirmed me that engine mount was now replaced in my car with a newer one. (It looks different in construction and appearance).
Startup shake is gone and idle vibes hardly noticeable. Good job vw service

Most Viewed