Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2014, 12:56   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Now since, I have stirred the hornet's nest, they have promised to check. The gear throw is improving with each passing day and I am feeling stupid
Dear Shenoyji - no need to feel stupid because you (and I) are both learning. You can stir all you want, if the hornets have been conditioned to remain in a perfect state of perpetual hibernation, (these are smart hornets, they have been "conditioned" to realize what's good for them), you'll be tearing your hair out very soon. Keep your comb handy, HaHaHa!

I know that the gear throw will improve. It will soon become butter smooth. There is no need to "check clearance / setting". What is there to check / set? Don't waste your time aimlessly standing around the workshop and drinking tea. Tell them to change the transmission oil, stand there and see what come out. When the magnetic drain plug is removed, clean the swarf off it and weigh the swarf. If at all you want to analyse, compare it's weight with the master data collected from the HSD / GHD (high speed durability / general highway durability) vehicles and then conclude, that's what is required.

Kya yaar! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 16:43   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Some questions for you adding to what a4anurag mentioned already. However I don't believe FE will increase over time - its got to do mainly with the way you drive.

Do you drive in slow moving/stuck traffic ? (Hint: change your route/time)
How much of AC usage do you do ? (Hint: Optimize usage where possible)
Do you shut off engine at long signals ? (Hint: switch off engine where possible)
How hard do you step on the accelerator/How do you take off from signals ? (Hint: start off gently)
At what RPM do you shift up ? (Hint: Shift early)
Have you up-sized your tires/added larger sized alloys ? (If you did - FE will suffer)

See an earlier answer I had given to a similar query http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3511305

Post that reply I have to add that with gentle driving during the last two tankfills I have got 11.4 and 11.7 Kmpl in stop and go city traffic !
I think you are very right here. I do drive a lot in traffic, with the AC on and do step hard on the accelerator! Will have to change my driving style and monitor the FE. Having said that, cant resist driving a Thar like a sedan.
Old 13th October 2014, 12:29   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u]
Tell them to change the transmission oil, stand there and see what come out. When the magnetic drain plug is removed, clean the swarf off it and weigh the swarf.
An update

Changed the Gear oil over the weekend, now the gear throws are butter smooth and evening during cold starts, I do not have the problem.

Guess, it is time to change the old riddle/joke from "How many engineers does it take to change a light bulb" to

"How many executives does it take at Mahindra's to change a the gear oil of a brand new vehicle".

DB Saab .. you simply rock!
Old 14th October 2014, 08:27   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
An update, changed the gear oil over the weekend, now the gear throws are butter smooth and evening during cold starts, I do not have the problem!
Dear Shivshanker - thanks, anytime! LOL is justified! Enjoy your vehicle.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 23:24   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused_soul View Post
I think you are very right here. I do drive a lot in traffic, with the AC on and do step hard on the accelerator! Will have to change my driving style and monitor the FE. Having said that, cant resist driving a Thar like a sedan.
BHPians,

Facing the following problems with my 5 month old Thar:

- Rusting: Major rusting on the bonnet, behind the front bumper.
- Brakes: Major Issue with the brakes. The brakes just caves in when applied while taking turns at slow speed.
- Plastics quality: Has to be pathetic for a 9 lakh vechicle . Two of my AC vents have broken. ASC says they are not covered by warranty.
- Side benches: Cant recline the passenger front seat as the left rear bench is obstructing the same

Have given my Jeep to the ASC in Kandivali Mumbai two days back and hoping to get it back by Saturday.

Would be great if i can get some guidance, specially on the critical issues of brakes and rusting
Old 7th November 2014, 01:43   #156
BHPian

Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Even we are facing the exact same braking issue in our Thar.
When taking a turn the pedal sinks in and there is no braking at all. Happened twice once on the beach while taking turn and the other time he was at a traffic signal the brake pedal just sank in and the jeep started rolling back :o. I wasn't there with my friend at the time of this incident so can't comment further.
Any solutions for this ?

Last edited by dean5545 : 7th November 2014 at 01:48.
Old 7th November 2014, 09:02   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Even we are facing the exact same braking issue in our Thar.
When taking a turn the pedal sinks in and there is no braking at all. Happened twice once on the beach while taking turn and the other time he was at a traffic signal the brake pedal just sank in and the jeep started rolling back :o. I wasn't there with my friend at the time of this incident so can't comment further.
Any solutions for this ?
I've had this sinking pedal syndrome, thankfully its fixed now. The root cause is the brake lines getting pinched during the turn.

Two remedies that you can try:
- Get the ASC to install stopper bolts to prevent full locking position during U turns
- Readjust your torsion bar to lower the jeep a bit at the front. There's no measurements here, but try and keep the jeep stance flat or leaning forward a little.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 20:13   #158
BHPian

An update on the coolant consumption issues faced with my Thar.

I have been having high coolant consumption from around Feb 2013. Kept topping up the reservoir from close to the "Low" mark at around every 2-3 weeks. In Sept 2013 (at 13K on the odometer), the top hose from the radiator was replaced due to it having a small leak. Things were fine for almost 9 months when on a random check I find the reservoir almost empty all of a sudden. At the end of July 2014 took it to the Mahindra Service Center and they saw a leak near the side of the radiator - some tightening of the hoses was done and coolant topped up.

Noticed the bottle was empty a couple of days after an OTR in October 2014 beginning. Managed to drive for a couple of days by topping up coolant till I had time to go to the ASC. This time the lower hose of the radiator had a leak and was changed (at 22K on the odometer). Hoping the issue is fixed - at-least for some time.
Old 8th November 2014, 15:23   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
I've had this sinking pedal syndrome, thankfully its fixed now. The root cause is the brake lines getting pinched during the turn.

- Get the ASC to install stopper bolts to prevent full locking position during U turns
- Readjust your torsion bar to lower the jeep a bit at the front. There's no measurements here, but try and keep the jeep stance flat or leaning forward a little.
Just visited the ASC. He has re-adjusted the torsion bar to lower the jeep but now it moves around like a boat on braking Isnt there a solution where the brakes work properly and the Jeep moves around with stability?
Old 8th November 2014, 20:11   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post

My friend gave the Thar for service today. Before me calling him to tell him about the solution the ASC people had already put stoppers. Let's see how it works.

Also his propeller shaft bearing went bust. I wonder how come they go bust in 25,000km that too city driving. Must be because it's remapped to 140bhp.
Everytime we gain some momentum in first and quickly shift to second I can hear khat sound. I don't know whether that is the reason for the propeller shaft to go bust.
Happens very rarely on my Innova and my friend's XUV too.
Old 13th November 2014, 20:18   #161
BHPian

Dear All,

I think this is the right thread to post this query. I searched all over the forum for this specific information and I could not find it. If it is already there, someone kindly share the link.

Question :

1. How many fuse boxes are there in the Thar
2. Where are they located in the vehicle (i know of one which is located under the dash)
3. Are there any diagrams of the fuse layouts in those boxes (which fuse for which section)

I think it will be very handy for non-technical person like me and will help in situations. Hope someone has this information. Thanks for sharing.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 09:24   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Just visited the ASC. He has re-adjusted the torsion bar to lower the jeep but now it moves around like a boat on braking Isnt there a solution where the brakes work properly and the Jeep moves around with stability?
Can u post a side pic showing the stance of your jeep. Also, moves around like a boat means its dipping too much at the front? The suspension travel increases when the torsion bar is lowered so it will give you a little more dip in the front while braking than earlier. But this should not be too unnerving, at least its not in my case. The LSPV should take care of this techically. You may need to do a couple of more adjustments to the torsion bar setting to get it right. M&M does not believe in fix it right the first time.
Old 14th November 2014, 11:05   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Facing the following problems with my 5 month old Thar. 1. Major rusting on the bonnet, behind the front bumper. 2. The brake just caves in when applied while taking turns at slow speed. 3. Plastics quality is pathetic for a 9 lakh vechicle. ASC says they are not covered by warranty. 4. Can't recline the passenger front seat as the left rear bench is obstructing the same.
Dear confused soul - hello to you. My replies are as follows:

1. Not allowed, get the complete body shell replaced.
2. Tandem brake booster by construction has this characteristic behavior. Brake efficiency does not get affected. This is applicable if all components are as per design intent. If there are deviations, they need to be corrected. I know exactly what to do, first go through the "normal channels", then PM me, we will see!
3. Parts are common with Bolero. Not covering these parts under warranty is ridiculous. Anyways, worst comes to worst, just buy new ones, put them and move on, there is no point in wasting your time on such things.
4. Thank the "Great Satan" (CMVR), courtesy 7 seater. If the base is down, you can recline the front seat slightly, if the base is up, you can't! (tell them to get an RH seat and fit it on the LH side also - shhh!). Kya yaar! .

and 5. Get the torsion bars realigned as per the workshop manual. Then set the toe. Then set the caster properly. Then again set the toe. Then it will go like a torpedo, not like a boat! ASC? HaHaHa!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 14th November 2014 at 11:06.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 18:05   #164
Team-BHP Support

A question for the Thar experts - today I found out that the right hand side gap between the wheel and fender is less than that on the left hand side i.e. the vehicle is tilted marginally towards the right. I will take it up with the service centre, but would be good to know how can that be fixed?
Old 15th December 2014, 16:42   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
A question for the Thar experts - today I found out that the right hand side gap between the wheel and fender is less than that on the left hand side i.e. the vehicle is tilted marginally towards the right. I will take it up with the service centre, but would be good to know how can that be fixed?
Hi Blackpearl, I have seen this complaint in few threads and I remember Manveet's thread wherein he had a similar problem. Please look for his thread and I am sure the solution was also detailed.

Swami

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks