Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2014, 17:30   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Hi Blackpearl, I have seen this complaint in few threads and I remember Manveet's thread wherein he had a similar problem. Please look for his thread and I am sure the solution was also detailed.

Swami
Thanks Swami. The issue has been resolved now after a visit to the service center. The service adviser showed me a nut kind of thing that can be adjusted for settling the ride height. It was hardly a 5 minute job.
Old 6th January 2015, 10:07   #167

Hi Guys.

My name is Sanket Upadhyay and I have only very recently joined the 4*4 club with my new Mahindra Thar. Yet to take it out for my first expedition.

However I have just once concern and I was wondering that the enthusiasts here will be able to offer a better solution than the guys at Mahindra.

I bought the Thar last Friday. It was PDI tested.

I however keep hearing a churning, grinding sound from under the thar when it is driven around. I registered this concern with the Mahindra guys. They took the car and told me it is normal for such a sound to be there in a vehicle that size and form.

I however feel that should not be the case as the sound is slightly abnormal even for a Jeep. Drove a Thar last month in Goa and that never seemed to have any such problem.

Have any of you friends experienced something similar? Is it normal?

If yes then I am safe.

If no, then please help me.

I am going to post pictures of my Thar soon. One hell of an experience the Thar is... :-)
Old 6th January 2015, 10:56   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanket.u View Post
Hi Guys.

My name is Sanket Upadhyay and I have only very recently joined the 4*4 club with my new Mahindra Thar. Yet to take it out for my first expedition.

However I have just once concern and I was wondering that the enthusiasts here will be able to offer a better solution than the guys at Mahindra.

I bought the Thar last Friday. It was PDI tested.

I however keep hearing a churning, grinding sound from under the thar when it is driven around. I registered this concern with the Mahindra guys. They took the car and told me it is normal for such a sound to be there in a vehicle that size and form.

I however feel that should not be the case as the sound is slightly abnormal even for a Jeep. Drove a Thar last month in Goa and that never seemed to have any such problem.

Have any of you friends experienced something similar? Is it normal?

If yes then I am safe.

If no, then please help me.

I am going to post pictures of my Thar soon. One hell of an experience the Thar is... :-)
Please check whether the Jeep is in 4WD mode.
Driving on hard surfaces in 4WD causes torsional build-up inn the drive-train!
Old 6th January 2015, 23:48   #169

Thanks @cpbopanna. Lever remains on 2wd. The first position of the 4*4 lever... I hope this does not grow into something major. Think I should take it again to koncept mahindra lajpat nagar again.
Old 7th January 2015, 10:40   #170
Senior - BHPian

Come to Gurgaon if you can. Under warranty repairs RR Auto - Mahindra City Service will have a look at your vehicle. They have about 80 Thar owners as their regular clients and have become capable of understanding a Thars naunces now.
Old 7th January 2015, 17:41   #171

That's a good suggestion. This Saturday it is then. Thanks so much. Here are a few shots of my new possession. Really excited. :-). Random people on red lights, apartment building, office parking, marketplace stop by to enquire.
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420632628.941076.jpg
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420632647.238750.jpg
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420632660.705310.jpg
Old 8th January 2015, 10:05   #172
BHPian

Hi Sanket.u,

Congratulations on your purchase. It is the same colour as my Thar. I love it. Take it to the expert service centre as Desertfox says and find out. But, to me, this noise has got something surely to do with the 4x4 lever not in a correct position. Before I bought my Thar, I test drove couple of vehicles in the India Garage yard and those guys keep this 4x4 lever in all positions as they like and I found two vehicles had this grinding noise. Then they banged these levers and the noise went off. When I say banged, yes, they literally banged it because it was not having a smooth shift and hence making all these noise. This could be the possibility in your vehicle.

All the very best and enjoy your Thar and it is definetely a head turner and I am enjoying my Thar as my daily drive and only vehicle for 4 months and 4500 kms now including a long Ooty trip. Fantastic.

Swami
Old 8th January 2015, 10:26   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Hi Sanket.u,

Congratulations on your purchase. It is the same colour as my Thar. I love it. Take it to the expert service centre as Desertfox says and find out. But, to me, this noise has got something surely to do with the 4x4 lever not in a correct position. Before I bought my Thar, I test drove couple of vehicles in the India Garage yard and those guys keep this 4x4 lever in all positions as they like and I found two vehicles had this grinding noise. Then they banged these levers and the noise went off. When I say banged, yes, they literally banged it because it was not having a smooth shift and hence making all these noise. This could be the possibility in your vehicle.

All the very best and enjoy your Thar and it is definetely a head turner and I am enjoying my Thar as my daily drive and only vehicle for 4 months and 4500 kms now including a long Ooty trip. Fantastic.

Swami
The lever becomes hard because of torsional build-up in the drive-train due to use of 4WD mode on hard surfaces. Please remember that a Thar does not have a central differential to equalize torque between the front and rear axles! Banging is surely not advisable to shift the lever to 2WD mode! What is required is to release the built-up torque - by driving on sand or loose soil for a couple of kilometers. Once the built-up torque is released (the wheels spin on loose soil and release the torque), shift to 2WD and drive in reverse until the auto-locking front hubs disengage!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 8th January 2015 at 10:30.
Old 8th January 2015, 10:32   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanket.u View Post
1. I keep hearing a churning, grinding sound from under the Thar when it is driven around. 2. Random people on red lights, apartment building, office parking, marketplace stop by to enquire. 3. One hell of an experience the Thar is.
Dear Sanket Upadhyay - hello to you. I have numbered your questions, replies are as follows:

1. I presume that your vehicle has the auto-locking hubs. If yes, then in 2WD mode, the front axle shafts and the front propeller shaft should not rotate. Stand in front of the vehicle facing it, tell somebody to start the engine and move it forward very slowly in first gear. If you see the front shafts rotating, the vehicle is in 4WD. Either the lever length is not allowing the transfer case to return to 2WD or the hubs have not disengaged. To find out, move the lever to bring it to the the 2WD position. Inspite of the lever fully in 2WD, if the vehicle still does not come into 2WD, there is an adjustment provided in the shift rod. By varying its length, it is possible to change the relative angular positions of the 4WD actuating levers on the transfer case and on the body. Essentially, the lever on the transfer case must remain in design intent position (Gajanan, please give these angles to me, I will circulate). Also put the vehicle in reverse and drive for about 10m. The hubs will disengage, you will hear a small "click". These actions should solve your issue. If not, check whether the handbrake cable is rubbing the propeller shaft. The handbrake cable is unnecessarily long as it is common with another vehicle.

2. Thanks, I know! The vehicle is built to be a magnet for other people. It is not only the shape but also the way the canopy drapes that makes a lot of people look at it and appreciate it. .

3. Yes, it was much more than "one hell of an experience" to bring it to market also, you bet! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 8th January 2015, 18:31   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sanket Upadhyay - hello to you. I have numbered your questions, replies are as follows:

1. ......Either the lever length is not allowing the transfer case to return to 2WD or the hubs have not disengaged. To find out, move the lever to bring it to the the 2WD position. Inspite of the lever fully in 2WD, if the vehicle still does not come into 2WD, there is an adjustment provided in the shift rod. By varying its length, it is possible to change the relative angular positions of the 4WD actuating levers on the transfer case and on the body. Essentially, the lever on the transfer case must remain in design intent position (Gajanan, please give these angles to me, I will circulate). Also put the vehicle in reverse and drive for about 10m. The hubs will disengage, you will hear a small "click". These actions should solve your issue. If not, check whether the handbrake cable is rubbing the propeller shaft. The handbrake cable is unnecessarily long as it is common with another vehicle.

=======

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Thanks so much Behram. Wish you could tell me how to readjust the length of the 4wd lever.. The photos you were talking about... It will be great for starters like me to get to know the vehicle better. The way you are describing it, this appears to be a pretty common issue with the thar.. I just hope it doesn't affect the vehicle's performance..

I will try these suggestions out tomorrow during the day time, click pics and upload my success or failure right here... Or else, the jeep goes to the mahindra workshop this Saturday..it's too new for these niggling issues...from the way I look at it, I think this should be a minor issue...largely resolvable..

Thanks so much once again...

But I am so surprised that if this churning , grinding sound from underneath the thar is such a common occurrence, how come no one has mentioned this ever in the past on bhp threads???

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th January 2015 at 19:08. Reason: back to back posts. Please quote only the relevant portions of the post. It can cause readability issues for our mobile users
Old 10th January 2015, 20:33   #176

Ok.. Saturday was here and I tried out all the options that were suggested...I found an isolated spot and tried reversing the car... I did hear the clicking .. Almost sticky and persistent clicking sound from the front wheels and detected that.. Yes indeed, thar churning and grinding sound from underneath the jeep was coming from the front wheel.

However, when I moved the jeep in the fwd direction... The grinding churning sound did not go. It is still there... In the process, I notice that now I find it hard to slot the reverse gear properly.. The normal gear lever takes more effort .. And slotting isn't smooth.. I hear the old ashok leyland school bus like reverse gear sound... Almost like a grinding thud slotting... As if the lever is grudgingly going there...

Also, I am yet to find loose sand to skid the tyres in... To check out the other solution offered here,

Before I add more problems for myself, I guess I will give up these options for now... And indeed go and consult the guys at mahindra.

Went to gurgaon from East delhi today and the drive was capital A W E S O M E...couldn't manage RR Auto as was suggested by desert fox .. Maybe next week. I just hope this doesn't get serious..
Old 13th January 2015, 14:47   #177
BHPian

thar'ians, I need to urgently procure Scorpio Seats as my back is troubling me for want of or rather lack of proper lumbar support.

A.S.S are quoting me 40K for a pair, wondering if you can help me share the name and the number of the Nasik manufacturer who is currently supplying to M&M.

A penny saved is a penny earned.
Old 13th January 2015, 17:10   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
thar'ians, I need to urgently procure Scorpio Seats as my back is troubling me for want of or rather lack of proper lumbar support.

A.S.S are quoting me 40K for a pair, wondering if you can help me share the name and the number of the Nasik manufacturer who is currently supplying to M&M.

A penny saved is a penny earned.
How about working with an upholsterer to re-do the padding of the existing seats to be totally customized to your preference. Swami69 did that to his existing Thar driver and front passenger seats and is thrilled with the outcome. I checked them out and it seems like the easiest route instead of changing the seats. Cost probably less than a tenth of the cost you mentioned.
Old 13th January 2015, 18:59   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
How about working with an upholsterer to re-do the padding of the existing seats to be totally customized to your preference. Swami69 did that to his existing Thar driver and front passenger seats and is thrilled with the outcome. I checked them out and it seems like the easiest route instead of changing the seats. Cost probably less than a tenth of the cost you mentioned.
Aaah, I thought about this possible modification, but my rationale was as follows;

1. The Thar front seats are like school bench a right angle (almost), this is creating problems for me in two places, one the back and the other the neck.
I need to bend my neck to be inline with the windshield.

I think, by increasing the recline angle a bit more, the thigh support coming up a bit to support the thighs, the riding position would be more comfortable and more importantly I need not bend my neck to see in line with the windshield.

2. Since I ride/drive almost 99% of the time alone, rather than spend on rear seat comfort, thought of spending some more money for my own comforts.

Else, whatever money I save I would have to spend that on the Doctors.

Last edited by shivshanker : 13th January 2015 at 19:00.
Old 13th January 2015, 21:30   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Aaah, I thought about this possible modification, but my rationale was as follows;

1. The Thar front seats are like school bench a right angle (almost), this is creating problems for me in two places, one the back and the other the neck.
I need to bend my neck to be inline with the windshield.

I think, by increasing the recline angle a bit more, the thigh support coming up a bit to support the thighs, the riding position would be more comfortable and more importantly I need not bend my neck to see in line with the windshield.

2. Since I ride/drive almost 99% of the time alone, rather than spend on rear seat comfort, thought of spending some more money for my own comforts.

Else, whatever money I save I would have to spend that on the Doctors.
Swami69 has done the padding changes for the same exact reasons. He got additional back support and thigh support done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks