Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2012, 19:02   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD2

IMO, the tilt can be adjusted by the torsion bar adjustment.
I think ASC persons are working on this. I am just waiting to see my THAR back on road.
Old 17th October 2012, 21:30   #32
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Axle View Post
My thar coolant need to replace at 450 km or so, though my thar had run only 850 kms. And now I am convinced that there is no leakage; coolant reduction is either at radiator cap or reservior cap.

Lets hope for the best.

Inspite of these issues I love my thar.
I have done about 12000kms so far and been topping up at least once a month or on covering 800 to 1000kms.

I agree with you and I feel the culprit is the reservoir cap, because the radiator cap is tightly lodged in the threading. Let's hope it isn't anything serious
Trueintrepid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 13:32   #33
BHPian

I got my THAR back. Nice job done by ASC.
Lot of mechanical noise have gone which otherwise was present.
Old 23rd October 2012, 22:36   #34

HI guys. I'm picking up my new Thar later this week, and after reading through this thread I'm getting decidedly nervous! The thought of repeated 80km round trips to my nearest M&M dealer is quite unnerving. Fingers crossed, and stand by for updates once i receive may car.

Any suggestions about things to check at the time of taking delivery would be most welcome.
Old 24th October 2012, 11:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDLover

Any suggestions about things to check at the time of taking delivery would be most welcome.
Based on my experience - take delivery and use as much as possible immediately. Open bonet regularly to check all fluid levels. As well look for leaks underneath engine bay.
For any irregularities, noise etc. take it to ASC. Dont't wait till 1st service.
Floating Axle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 11:21   #36
BHPian

Lately there s been a grinding noise when braking. It appears usually after a long drive, and initially at terminal stage before the vehicle stops but gradually even at the beginning stage of brake application.

I gave it for servicing , they said they checked the brakes. But it came once again while braking in city traffic.

Could someone shed some light on this issue.
Thanks.
Old 5th December 2012, 11:45   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Drkakkilaya - ask them what did they do when they "checked the brakes" and let me know. Then please tell me how much distance your vehicle has covered. Brake pad life should be in the region of around 32000 kms. This is a case of brake groan. One reason could be the pads at the end of their life, the other reason is drying up of anti-vibration grease between the stainless steel backup plates behind the pads. The third reason is tire pressure below specification.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 12:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
I have done about 12000kms so far and been topping up at least once a month or on covering 800 to 1000kms.

I agree with you and I feel the culprit is the reservoir cap, because the radiator cap is tightly lodged in the threading. Let's hope it isn't anything serious
Similar issues here, have topped up the coolant twice in 6k. During the first service the radiator hoses were taken apart, cleaned, and tightly resealed with some sealant compound on the joints as well, but the coolant drain continues, I am suspecting its the reservoir cap as well, as theres a small hole on the top of the cap, the hole seems intentional (safety vent?).

I shall get them to replace the cap and am thinking i shall put self-fusing silicone tape on the hole to seal it.
Old 10th January 2013, 12:54   #39
BHPian

Had a grinding noise on my Thar brakes as well.

Just took it apart, opened up the brakes and cleaned the hell out of them. There was a problem with the left front brake, where there was a groove cut on the OD of the disc and the outside perimeter of the exterior pad had a lip which obviously was not touching the disc.

It seems the exterior pad was not seated properly in the caliper and so the problem. I have now ground the lip on the pad and replaced it in the caliper and closed everything up.

Braking has improved once I put everything back together. I don't think I am going to need to upgrade the brakes.

Just as a note - this is the first time I have done anything with the brakes on my Thar.

Thanks,
Manas
Old 12th January 2013, 21:09   #40
BHPian

I got delivery of my Thar on 27th Dec, did PDI before taking delivery however missed the misaligned/bend rear left bench. Reported to sales guy and he sent a SA to check it at my company. The SA did some here and there and finally said that jeep have to take to service station which is around 20 kms from my place. I said him please inform the service person in detail about the issue and then give me appointment. Today I visited service center and the first reply I got from assigned attendant is "sir can you please come back on Monday" After some discussion it looked at the issue and said it will need 3/4 hrs, I said if you give me tool I can fix it in 15 minutes.
Finally after some wait jeep went in, and after around 1 hr he took me in and said the bracket (left bench is longer than right, there is bracket to support the extension behind navigator seat) is fixed at wrong position and need to relocate it but he can't do it. He want to send a snap to Mahindra and then they will reply what to do and not.
The IMP issue for me is first the misaligned seat is pushing the soft top out and it can get damaged if it can't be fixed imminently and second thing is it is looking bad. SA said if something happens to soft top it can be covered under warranty

Now I am in question that should I follow up with these ASC guys or fit it somewhere outside.

Following are the pictures:

Left side from front
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-mobile169.jpg

Left side from rear
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-mobile170.jpg

Right side
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-mobile171.jpg

Quote:
I got my THAR back. Nice job done by ASC.
Lot of mechanical noise have gone which otherwise was present.
Hi Floating Axel,

Which ASC you have visited? I went to Silver Jubilee at Pimpri.

Thanks,
Vishal.
Thar4x4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 17:55   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post

Hi Floating Axel,

Which ASC you have visited? I went to Silver Jubilee at Pimpri.

Thanks,
Vishal.
Hi Vishal,

It is Silver Jubilee at Hadapsar w/s.

Rgds.

Neelesh
Old 13th January 2013, 23:58   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Vishal,

It is Silver Jubilee at Hadapsar w/s.

Rgds.

Neelesh
Ok lets meet sometime. I am looking for other Thar to check the rear left bench dimention.

If possiable let me know.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 14th January 2013, 10:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for other Thar to check the rear left bench dimention.
Dude, trust me. I feel the pain of a new vehicle being delivered like this. The Mahindra monkeys, as somebody referred to them not so long ago, have been at it again!

I just have one thing to tell you, being a thar owner myself, don't trust anything that these guys say; get after them and get the work done.
Trueintrepid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 10:14   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post
Similar issues here, have topped up the coolant twice in 6k.
This seems to be the issue with all the thars. The so called "Creator, Father or whatever" needs to answer this. The monkeys at the ASC finally tightened all the hoses and changed the clamps. It's been close to 5000kms after the incident and the coolant is just a centimeter down and I think it has normalized.
Old 14th January 2013, 17:03   #45
BHPian

Quote:

Ok lets meet sometime. I am looking for other Thar to check the rear left bench dimention.

If possiable let me know.

Thanks,
Vishal
Sure Vishal, PM me yr contact no. We then can plan.
Floating Axle is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks