Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:26   #496
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Well, according to TaurusAI, even in the centre vents, only the Right one blows hot air while the other blows normal air.

Cheers
Old 3rd September 2019, 15:55   #497
Senior - BHPian

A couple of years back CMVR mandated that vehicles have to have a screen demisting setting. MM did not want to entail the cost of redesigning and manufacturing a proper ventilation system. What you see is the result. Talk about gaming the system.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 3rd September 2019 at 15:56.
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 20:05   #498
BHPian

hello all,

I have a 2014 Thar and need inputs from learned members here.

Has anybody faced with an issue of water leaking into the Diesel Tank, I would not have raised it here, as in monsoons, there is a chance of consuming Diesel from pumps which have a problem with water seepage.

Long story short, started my regular quarterly run from Mumbai to Bangalore on 5th Oct. (~1000Kms) filled up the tank @ the HP Pump after the kalmboli toll booth (~75kms from home). At auto cut off, the excess diesel spilled over from the rear on to the chassis. Found this strange as the breather pipe which is supposed to gather this has failed.

Somewhere around around Satara (~160kms) from the pump the Fuel Sediment light came on.

Checked with Mahindra Support was advised, no issues just drive and god be with you.

Stopped over in Hubli, had Savji Mutton for dinner and started again on 6th morning to Bangalore.

As soon as I reached NH44 towards the airport, the machine just stopped, after cracking a few times came back to life and could drive for another 3kms or so. This way limped back home.

That was the story, after the dasera break was over, limped over to Shirish Auto (Mahindra Authorized in Jakkur) for a service.

As a precaution got the fuel filter replaced had the Tank Cleaned and filled in with fresh fuel, as they had to empty the Tank, today took the vehicle to the nearest pump for a quick refill.

Was pleasantly surprised to see water in the pipe after I open the Screew cock.

Has anybody faced am issues with water leakage from the Fuel tank Screw Cock or is mine an isolated incident
shivshanker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 23:43   #499
BHPian

Hello

Need following suggestions on my 2013 CRDI

1) Off late there has been squeaking noise from the front suspension. The Jeep was recently serviced about a couple of months back, so cannot be dry suspension noise. Any pointers what can be the culprit ?

2) Fuel smell during acceleration. Never bothered with it, but feel like fixing it now. So if any suggestions, please let me know.

3) Weak brakes. Feeling it even more now. Jeep has run 10k kms. Any pointers to make them crisp ?

4) What is the best oil for Thar CRDE ? 10k oil change is just round the corner.

5) I am planning a 2k kms drive. Since my Thar is fairly old, can anyone suggest the rubber parts that I should check on before the drive ? For eg, coolant hose, belts etc ?

Please help
Old 8th November 2019, 00:23   #500
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Taurus,
Not sure of the squeaky noise, there is too many things up front. Road test will be necessary, not leaf springs up front anyways. Could be the stabilizer links making noise.

There must be a leak in the engine compartment / fuel lines, that's causing the diesel smell, any drop in FE? Or oil marks on the floor?

How much had this vehicle run? Time to replace front rotors and maybe check for leaks in the brake system.

Engine oil wise, if you are going the FNG route, you can get it changed at Shell fuel bunks, do carry an original oil filter though. Those guys otherwise will use whatever that comes by.

The plumbing to and from the radiator needs to be checked, tightened or replaced as necessary. This can leak overtime leading to pressure loss in cooling system, give the whole vehicle a once over, there may e parts that need replacement at certain KM mark, like belts etc. Check all suspension fasteners and torque them to spec if necessary, this is part of every service.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 14:02   #501
BHPian

Any of you has faced wheel jamming in 2H while doing a full turn? I believe its the auto lock hubs so have tired couple of times to engage and dis-engage and hear the audible click of dis-engagement but still they jam on a full turn. No issue when straight however.
I tried it in 4H and the jam gets worse and in 4L even more worse. The reverse in 4L with a full turn is like you have pressed on the brakes.
Old 19th December 2019, 14:41   #502
KMT
BHPian

Has someone inadvertently driven in 4L on Tar road and causing the diff to bind?

Try reversing for a longish stretch.

That said, two Thar crdes from my pals group have had lamda manual hub lockers fitted due to similar issues.
KMT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 14:50   #503
KMT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Hello

Need following suggestions on my 2013 CRDI

Please help
1) I regularly get front suspension tightened and bushes checked and replaced.

2) I put a canvas half cabin just after the front seats. Keeps ac in and dust and that awful diesel smell out.

3)I spent about 15 -20k and put in a big Scorpio brake booster and vaccuum tank. Also check the LSPV behind the rear floor.

4) Mahindra Valvoline MaxImile if doing in Company service or I use Castrol CRB Turbomax.

5) I had a turbo hose burst on the highway once (just after intercooler) due to high speed running. Otherwise just be careful where you park during yr trip, its prone to having stuff pinched from inside.
KMT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 17:20   #504
BHPian

Update at 62,000km:

I have been facing hard rolling especially while making a turn. Suspecting it to be a dis-engagement issue with the automatic locking hubs, got a chance to put the vehicle on lift and check for rotations. All seemed to be OK. So just lubricated the hubs and put them back. There is a definite improvement in the rolling and I can feel the vehicle Glide.

IMPORTANT: Do not use grease to lubricate the hubs. I did that during the 40,000km interval and it did not help as after today's lubrication the difference is huge. Fill up the hubs in ATF (Automatic transmission fluid) and keep them vertical for half-hour. Then remove all the oil and let it drain for 5 minutes and put the hubs back on. Do not forget to seal the joint with a sealant to stop any dirt getting inside.

For the hard rolling, I observed that it is only when making a full turn. I suspect improper Camber.
Will give an update soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-img_2649.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-img_2650.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions-img_2651.jpg  

KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 14:49   #505
BHPian

my 2014 thar is very sluggish on all gears when I reduce speed while going over humps or want to let a vehicle pass. Could it be the injectors.?

Anybody has cleaned their injectors during normal course of service. I have had the bad luck of having water mixed in Diesel twice in the last 4-5 months and have changed the fuel filter the first time and the second time just drained and refitted.

Could this be a reason for the vehicle to be sluggish.
Old 12th June 2020, 21:24   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
3)I spent about 15 -20k and put in a big Scorpio brake booster and vaccuum tank. Also check the LSPV behind the rear floor.

Hi! Where did you get the brake booster fitted and the LSPV settings done? I’m waiting to install the brake booster. Have procured all that I need.
Cheers,
Yogesh
Old 14th June 2020, 07:20   #507
KMT
BHPian

Chrome Motors
SA name is Dinesh Shetty.
Just at the start of Mysore Road.
Old 30th August 2020, 13:59   #508

Water leak issue from both the ends of the dash board

Hello,
I own a 2016 Thar CRDe and every monsoons I face issue of water leakage into the cabin through both the ends of the dashboards, water even gets accumulated in the glovebox. I have given my vehicle for same issue in SVC several times but they do not have any solution for it, infact they are not able to diagnose the issue.
I think the rubber beading of windshield is the culprit but the Svc people are denying about it.
Does anyone else have faced this issue? Any help regarding this will be great.
Old 31st August 2020, 10:47   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrippingdoc View Post

Water leak issue from both the ends of the dash board

I think the rubber beading of windshield is the culprit but the Svc people are denying about it.
Does anyone else have faced this issue? Any help regarding this will be great.
This is a very common problem in more then 2-3 year old vehicles. Put Silicone sealant on the inner rubber beading starting from the top to the sides. To be on safe side, you can also squeeze the sealant between the main beading and the body just to make sure.

Second area is the Windshield washer pipe that goes to the jets on the cowl. After some years, the pipe hardens up and looses its firm grip on the T joint and leaks water the moment you use the washer jets.

Third area are the Water jets itself. The water could be seeping through the threads and getting into the footwells. You can use Teflon Tape to seal the threads.
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 16:14   #510
Senior - BHPian

Well. Looking for some insight before I go to service center :

While traveling to Pune in the morning today I filled diesel and after that about 20kms down the car felt low on power. Significant loss in pulling power and overall acceleration suddenly, while in motion. Overtaking became a big pain.

I noticed this the first time when I was trying to overtake a slow moving trailer. Usually 4th gear suffices in fact I can pull even in 5th but not today. I had to drop to 3rd before car showed some strength. On uphill road the car can't maintain the speed.

In the traffic it's even worse, vehicle is dead slow in 1st gear even. If I do my regular shifts, the car just slumps in 2nd and 3rd. To maintain any kind of momentum I need to push hard in each gear.
What seems to be the problem? Earlier it used to pull cleanly in the traffic hardly needing any clutch use. I have even done 2nd gear starts at the traffic light. But today the car is a dog. An auto can overtake me if I don't push.

I'm not too far from a dealer here but thought I'd check with you folks first. Any quick check I can do? Did something get loose while on the move? There's no check engine light turned on or anything. No unusual sounds, smoke or smells either.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks