Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2012, 21:01   #1
BHPian

No resistance in clutch pedal

I have a Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 2008 model. It has covered approx 23k kms now. I recently had given it for a paid service and I had gotten the brake fluid replaced along with the service. After a few days of using the car, I find the clutch pedal now having lost the usual resistance. If I'm in slow moving traffic and I have to hold the clutch for more than a few seconds, I can feel there is no pressure in the pedal and the gear refuses to shift. However, when the car is moving I'm able to shift up or shift down without any issues.

After having read through some of the earlier posts, I could sense it has something to do with the replacement of brake fluid as the clutch and brake share the same reservoir? Could it be an air leak somewhere?
Old 7th April 2012, 07:20   #2
BHPian

Re: No resistance in clutch pedal

If there is a leak (pinhole) you will slowly lose fluid from the reservior. Check that first. But i think if you get the clutch system bled, your problem will be solved. I suspect an air-pocket in the system.
Old 7th April 2012, 08:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

If there is a leak it would fade slowly, it should have started earlier, you might have noticed it now as its not significantly lower in terms of pressure. Also you are able to change gears while moving as the resistance from engine is minimal as compared to standstill.

Get this checked asap before you are left stranded someplace, and if you do get stranded what you should do is get the car pushed and when its rolling you change gears. BTW doing this will mean if you stop again (At signal or at traffic), you will have to repeat the same process i.e. get the car rolling and then change gears.

PS : Forgot to add, i have never tried this technique myself on any modern car. Have done it multiple times on two wheelers and our old FIAT and Standard Gazel.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 7th April 2012 at 08:11.
Old 7th April 2012, 08:41   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions. Going to pay a visit today to the service station and I hope the system just needs bleeding to get fixed.
Old 7th April 2012, 09:15   #5
mgh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
PS : Forgot to add, i have never tried this technique myself on any modern car. Have done it multiple times on two wheelers and our old FIAT and Standard Gazel.
The Standard Gazel had a hydraulic clutch, don't think the old Fiat had one.
Tata Indicas (upto Turbo V2 model at least) have no hydraulic clutch. The Manza has.

Small tip- If you have a car without hydraulic clutch, and the clutch becomes hard, just change the clutch cable first (Cheap, for my Indica DLX V2 Turbo, it cost Rs 500 including labour at a neighbourhood workshop. Solved the hard clutch problem. Grateful to my neighbour's driver for that tip). The company workshop will make you change everything
Old 7th April 2012, 19:41   #6
BHPian

Mostly its your clutch sleeve or master cyl. giving out pressure. Get it checked.
Old 21st April 2012, 13:31   #7
BHPian

Got the issue sorted. Had to replace the Clutch master cylinder. Now the clutch feel is restored to normal. Thanks again folks.

Most Viewed