Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2012, 22:06   #1
BHPian

Chevrolet Cruze LTZ - Boot opens randomly, by itself!

Hi friends,

I got my Cruze LTZ automatic in January 2011, and I have loved driving it always. It has run almost 15000 km, including one long tour of 4000 km in May 2011. However, unlike my other car, a Getz GLX, the Cruze has not been problem free. The one I am writing about is probably quite rare, as I found no mention if it by anybody in several web searches.

The boot of the car opens by itself sometimes. This has happened five to six times so far. If I remember correctly, every time the car was locked and off. A couple of times I noticed it shortly after I got in, started it and set off. Other times I found it open before I got in the car.

The problem is not reproducible. The workshop guys are now saying I should bring both keys of the car to them, and they will try fixing it. I will do that, but wondering if anybody else also faced this problem? It is quite serious, as I cannot trust the boot.

Best,
Deb
Old 9th April 2012, 16:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ - Boot opens randomly, by itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb_majumdar View Post
Hi friends,

I got my Cruze LTZ automatic in January 2011, and I have loved driving it always. It has run almost 15000 km, including one long tour of 4000 km in May 2011. However, unlike my other car, a Getz GLX, the Cruze has not been problem free. The one I am writing about is probably quite rare, as I found no mention if it by anybody in several web searches.

The boot of the car opens by itself sometimes. This has happened five to six times so far. If I remember correctly, every time the car was locked and off. A couple of times I noticed it shortly after I got in, started it and set off. Other times I found it open before I got in the car.

The problem is not reproducible. The workshop guys are now saying I should bring both keys of the car to them, and they will try fixing it. I will do that, but wondering if anybody else also faced this problem? It is quite serious, as I cannot trust the boot.

Best,
Deb
Is it a problem with the central locking electronics that is opening the boot on its own, or is it a case of the boot mechanically not getting locked properly? If the boot is getting opened on bad roads then I guess it should be the latter. It happened with my WagonR rear hatch once. THe mechanic just aligned the lock mechanism properly and that solved the problem. If its a case of faulty electronics then you should check for loose connections, cut wires et al. The OBD scanner may also throw up error codes.
Old 9th April 2012, 16:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

The boot release lever / switch needs to be adjusted. if that is fine, then the boot lock position needs to be adjusted. the service guys should be able to fix it. take care and drive safe.
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 17:14   #4
BHPian

Thank you very much, both of you. It does not seem like a problem with bad road, as every time I found it out, the car was either parked, or just started on a good road. It is probably faulty electronics, and that's what concerns me. I guess I will take the car to the workshop with both keys and let them figure it out. Even after that, I will have to watch it for several months to be sure if it is really sorted out.
Old 15th April 2012, 22:27   #5
BHPian

moisture in key fob? or the in-car boot release button?

there should be an alarm if you drive off with the boot open, no? that's how it is with my linea.
Old 15th April 2012, 23:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The boot of the car opens by itself sometimes. This has happened five to six times so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr View Post
moisture in key fob? or the in-car boot release button?
I am inclined to think the same too - an issue with the remote boot release button on wither the remote or the one inside the car. Try swapping the spare remote and see if the problem recurs.
Old 17th April 2012, 13:36   #7
BHPian

Maybe it was somebody, a troll, running behind your car and pressing the boot release button on the back. :P...

Okay, in all seriousness, I've been very fortunate with my Cruze. I've had zero issues till date. *touches wood*

Do let us know what you find out about the issue.
Old 26th April 2012, 09:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,

Best,
Deb
Are you facing the same problem as described in this post?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2757016

IMHO, it could be that you are using the keyfob without the leather case, and boot button might be getting pressed.
rahul_sinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 13:12   #9
BHPian

Thank you very much, all. I now think what Rahul wrote could be the case too. I did not get a leather case (or did I overlook that?) with the keys. I simply keep the remote in my pocket. As far as I remember, these were the scenarios when I saw the boot has opened:

1. The car was parked, I came and saw that the boot is open. It could happen that while leaving the car, the remote got pressed.
2. I just started driving, and I found that the boot is open. May be while I was getting into the car, the remote got pressed. It never happened at high speed.

It never came to my mind, and I did not realize even after a few of you mentioned about the remote, because I never used the boot release button in my remote. When inside the car, to open any door, including the boot, I press the door open button. When outside, I simply go and open the boot because the key is in my pocket. Till date, it never happened that I am a bit far and I had to open the boot with the remote for somebody. I think that boot release button is rather useless and scary for me. I will ask them if that can be disabled, and watch the situation for six months before starting to keep my laptop in the boot.
Old 26th April 2012, 23:54   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I now think what Rahul wrote could be the case too.
Might be.
Quote:
1. The car was parked, I came and saw that the boot is open. It could happen that while leaving the car, the remote got pressed.
2. I just started driving, and I found that the boot is open. May be while I was getting into the car, the remote got pressed. It never happened at high speed.
However, I would also suspect faulty central locking wiring/console. Which actuates the boot release actuator, every other time when you lock/unlock the door.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks