Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 20:54   #1
BHPian

Palio GTX - Engine problem after rebore

2 months back I had a big problem with my Palio GTX engine. When driving in traffic a guy from behind shouted that white smoke is coming from my exhaust. I stopped by the side and noticed that the temperature needle had crossed above H, not sure for how much time. Without starting further towed the car to my mechanic for repair work.

He told me the coolant line was leaking and engine was running without coolant and the Gasket need to be changed. I gave the go ahead and after a few days, the mechanic called me and said that there is no compression in 3rd cylinder and it has to be rebored(I think a sleeve was added). After a month in the workshop got the car back and it was not how it used to be.

When I start the engine, the idle is very erratic before settling into place. The mechanic didn't have a clue but said that it will become normal after a few kms of running. Other problems include, irregular firing. Car jerks a lot with half/partial throttle and fires even after lifting my foot off the pedal. There is a big lack in power/torque than before, I couldn't cross 4500 RPM, earlier I can easily touch 7000. Even under 4K RPM the performance is horrible, not enough juice to overtake even a bus.

Now I'm really unhappy with the car as it has been transformed to a completely new car, maybe a 70 BHP car. Took it to another mechanic and he told me the values may be bent and we have to open the engine to check. He said it will cost atleast 20K. I just spent 45K of repairs and still haven't got what I want.

Is this normal for a rebored engine or is there something wrong? I live in Pune and I need some suggestions from you experts. Is there any good, reliable engine guys in Pune or even Mumbai who can get my car back to normal. I don't mind spending a few more thousands, but I need the car just like before.

For information, the repairs include new Tensioner, hydraulic lifters and rebore work. I also have a Free Flow Exhaust for 3 year, not sure that is the cause of the jerks I experience in half throttle. Please help
Old 26th April 2012, 22:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine problem after rebore

Quote:
there is no compression in 3rd cylinder and it has to be rebored(I think a sleeve was added)
It is not categorically clear from your post on the nature of work done. Kindly elaborate.
Quote:
I just spent 45K of repairs and still haven't got what I want.
It is way too high an amount for a half job.
Rebored and overhauled engines has to be ticking like almost new.

Last edited by rajeev k : 26th April 2012 at 22:20.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 23:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Engine problem after rebore

^^ +1. The costs seems too high for an FNG.

Also: IMO, Never trust an FNG for an engine overhaul in modern engines. Whist rebuilding, every bit and pieces have their own spec, which should be maintained. The company guys may not be experts, but they have ALL the info they need. For eg: Torquing of bolts.

Secondly, please check the compression again on all cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
Took it to another mechanic and he told me the values may be bent
Improbable.
Old 27th April 2012, 00:25   #4
BHPian

Re: Palio GTX - Engine problem after rebore

@rajeev: Even I'm not sure what he did. He told me that there is no compression as there was leakage from cylinder. Not sure what all he did, should have gone there and checked, blame my work, didn't get any free time.

@Dhanush: Where do I check the compression, I don't want to go to the same guy again. Will it be worth if I give it to the authorized service centre? Do they do engine work?

Just on my return from office, I tried to accelerate to see how far I can push. The fuel almost cut off at 5200 RPM and started jerking, the same like hitting the revv limit at 7100 RPM. Also when I'm off the pedal, it kinda sounds like the cold blowing of the F1 renault engines, a distinct harsh sound. Anything to do with timing?
Old 27th April 2012, 07:18   #5
BHPian

I think your timing belt may have missed a couple of teeth. Get the timing done from an authorised service centre. After a rebore, it is always better to get a new timing belt. I think you should give the car to the A.S.S. for a full check, compression test, timing belt change etc. THAT is the only way your will be ok. Also, don't rev the engine too much now, wait for atleast 500 km of run-in.
Old 27th April 2012, 13:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
@rajeev: Even I'm not sure what he did. Not sure what all he did, should have gone there and checked, blame...
@Dhanush: Where do I check the compression, I don't want to go to the same guy again. Will it be worth if I give it to the authorized service centre? Do they do engine work?
Take it to an authorised service station but before that seek a description of the work done by the first guy. Can you scan and attach his bill. Agreed that you were busy but you should have sought opinion from this forum.
It is not too late; so before embarking on further work ascertain the damage and take a decision.
One more important aspect is that any reworked engine has to be treated as a new engine and has to be run in properly. In fact one has to take more care than a new engine which is fresh from the factory, Over heating can cause severe damage to the valve faces, especially exhaust valves.

Further carry out all external checks on fuel filter, injectors, air filter, timing, etc.
Old 27th April 2012, 14:20   #7
BHPian

Hey Nim, I have a very good mechanic at Wanowrie, his father has worked for big car companies before opening shop in Pune (Madhu Automobiles).
He will do an honest job on your vehicle. Call me if you decide to visit him - my cell # 9860912711.
Old 28th April 2012, 15:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Apart from what has already been told, go to your mechanic and ask him specifically what all work did he do? Did he put sleeve only on one cylinder or on all? Did you use new piston and rings or just rings?

I have a feeling that some sensor somewhere is missing. Check your lambda sensor and also the timing sensor. Ideal would be to take the car to ASC and put it on scanner. You'll get the deviation and the respective fault codes.

Hoping that your 1.6 GTX gets back to her prime again. These engines bring bring too much of smile to our faces to be allowed to wither away! Don't give up. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2012, 23:01   #9
BHPian

Hey nim_peter, reading your initial impressions of the engine work carried out, I think one or more cylinders might not be firing, maybe your mech did not did not connect the leads properly, just check your HT leads for the same. The same thing happened to my Esteem,
one of the cylinders was not firing and the feeling of lethargic response, rough and varying idle speeds, the engine shudders a lot too.

Hope this has not caused more internal damage.

Hope this helps.

No.1
Williams_f1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 20:29   #10
BHPian

Hi All, Just got my car from the ASC and even they don't have a clue what is happening. Instead they blamed it on my Free flow exhaust, which I've been using for 3.5 yrs without problems.

One improvement is the RPM which can atleast cross 5K without the fuel cutting off, they changed the loose wires to some sensors. But the car is still sluggish, struggling to even climb a fly over. I could feel the power/torque has gone down a lot.

Now I have decided to get the engine opened again and try to get it repaired. Anyway engine is opened, so I'm thinking of porting/polishing as well to squeeze some performance out of it.

Now the problem is finding a reliable engine guy who can work on my engine. I'm sure there will be lot of guys in Mumbai, also heard about Mr.Singh from Hyderabad in one of the Elantra tread. Any suggestions?
Old 1st May 2013, 11:49   #11

nim_peter, get in touch with Sanjeev Harikant at Panvel. He is an expert on Fiat Palios. Google and you should get his number.

Rgds
Dhairyasheel.
Dhairyasheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 16:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhairyasheel View Post
nim_peter, get in touch with Sanjeev Harikant at Panvel. He is an expert on Fiat Palios. Google and you should get his number.

Rgds
Dhairyasheel.
Thanks Dhairyasheel, I got my engine done already. I've posted the mods and few pics in another thread(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...o-1-8-gtx.html).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks