Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 01:39   #1
BHPian

Yesterday a strange problem developed on my dec 2011 purchased Honda City. The AC stopped working. Took it to the honda dealer today. After a lot of investigation concluded the condensor was damaged. How strange!!! the reason: a stone had slipped in through the front grill and hit the radiator. The charges for replacement is 17k.
I had google'ed on this topic and found that this problem really exists. Still keeping my fingers crossed with the hope the insurance company will take care of it.

The service advisor said to put a thin wiremesh just inside the front bumper to avoid a recurrence.

uploading two pictures showing the damage
Attached Thumbnails
A/c condensor damage in Honda City-20120508-07.jpg  

A/c condensor damage in Honda City-20120508-08.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 8th May 2012 at 18:30. Reason: Adding pictures to the opening post
sidmumbai is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th May 2012, 09:47   #2
BHPian

Re: ac condenser damage in ANHC

Interesting problem though. Would you be having picture to illustrate how the mesh needs to be fixed and why ?

There are many cars on the streets. You mean to say all the car's condensors are in danger ? , i own one too !!
Old 6th May 2012, 10:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

That is indeed a freaky way of condenser damage. Please post some pics, of the damage caused by the stone.
Also keep us posted, if the damage has been covered by insurance.
Old 6th May 2012, 11:07   #4
BHPian

Unique problem really. Can you post pictures of the extent of damage. Also about the thin wire mesh, am a little confused about this. Have a Honda City 2012 and have quite a few friends with varying versions of the City. Never came across such an issue.
Old 6th May 2012, 15:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well this is serious! 17K for A/C condenser damage at no fault of the owner!

Please post some pics, I know that grills of the City's bumper are wide and any stone/pebble can hit the condenser easily and damage it if speed is high! Sigh!.

A/c condensor damage in Honda City-hondacitycar20102bordermaker.jpg

Last edited by bluevolt : 6th May 2012 at 15:24.
Old 6th May 2012, 20:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

From the picture posted above, the bumper does seem to have horizontal slats to protect parts behind it. This is the scenaio in most cars, and not only the Honda City. And most cars have their AC condenser just behind the bumper.

It looks like a rare case of a stone missing those slats and hitting the condenser. 17 K is high, but I don't think insurance can refuse to pay, as the case is genuine. The A.S.S. has to play its role in convincing the surveyor, IMO.

Last edited by GTO : 7th May 2012 at 11:10. Reason: ANHC = Honda City. No acronyms please
Old 6th May 2012, 21:32   #7
BHPian

I personally think that you should get a second opinion. Can you photograph the damage & post it? These are metals. They may be slightly soft, but you need a ROCK to cause enough damage for leakage to be found.
Old 7th May 2012, 01:14   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A/c condenser damage in Honda City

@sidmumbai , If you really want a mesh , take a look at post#57 in this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...h4-blue-4.html

Get mesh from a hardware store , give it a good silver coat and then get someone to fit it from inside the bumper - you'll need to remove the bumper , use a cardboard to mark the profile , cut the mesh out using the cardboard template and then fix the mesh.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:39   #9
BHPian

Re: A/c condensor damage in Honda City

The air conditioner condensor damage by hitting a stone is a hard to believe. If the condensor has been punctured and refrigerent has come out then the only option remaining is the replacement. But ofcourse you can check for alternative quotes for spare.

If you are planning to fix a mesh, the set up said above by Vigsom is pretty and durable.

But if the problem is frequent Honda might have come out with a solution by this time. Even there is chance that the solution which service provided you is suggested by Honda.

Hope the damage will be covered by insurance company.
Old 7th May 2012, 15:03   #10
BANNED

@sidmumbai; I had a similar failure in the condenser of my Civic. Gravel from the road can get you any time. I have seen a couple of cars with a mesh just inside the bumper, looks good and may be is functional as well.

I paid about 11k for the condenser replacement (no Insurance claim). You can see the details on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-silver-9.html
Old 7th May 2012, 21:55   #11
BHPian

well i had been to the local garage just to check up what had happened. it is definitely due to a stone impact. The condenser is damaged at a point and the gas seemed to have gradually leaked through it. He had suggested to seal the damaged part and refill the gas as a temporary measure. It would cost about Rs 1200/-.
I will definitely take the damage photographs and upload it. Its a tricky place to photograph.
sgiitk sir, the honda people quoted rs 17000/- verbally. But they also mentioned that there are two condensers in the city. So can we replace only one rather than having the entire assembly changed. Pls advice on it.
Still i have not received any confirmation on the insurance claim. But the service center assured me that they will call me up for a direct negotiation with the insurance guy.
Still hopeful to get things back on track. As for the wire-mesh, i need to figure out how to fix it inside the bumper.
Old 8th May 2012, 00:12   #12
BHPian

Condenser tube can be brazed, which will be a permanent repair. Refill the refrigerant. IMO, replacement is not required in your case. A picture of damage will help us judge the situation better. Since the stone has hit and caused the crack/ hole, the damage is on outer side, well within reach to be brazed. But will have to be careful with fins(they might get damaged under high temperature of gas flame).
Well and good if its replaced under insurance.
Old 8th May 2012, 00:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidmumbai View Post
well i had been to the local garage just to check up what had happened. it is definitely due to a stone impact. The condenser is damaged at a point and the gas seemed to have gradually leaked through it. He had suggested to seal the damaged part and refill the gas as a temporary measure. It would cost about Rs 1200/-.
I will definitely take the damage photographs and upload it. Its a tricky place to photograph.
sgiitk sir, the honda people quoted rs 17000/- verbally. But they also mentioned that there are two condensers in the city. So can we replace only one rather than having the entire assembly changed. Pls advice on it.
Still i have not received any confirmation on the insurance claim. But the service center assured me that they will call me up for a direct negotiation with the insurance guy.
Still hopeful to get things back on track. As for the wire-mesh, i need to figure out how to fix it inside the bumper.

If you are staying in the suburbs do visit correa car cool and then take a call. they do pretty decent job and source OEM ac parts.

Last edited by M124 : 8th May 2012 at 00:30.
Old 8th May 2012, 12:27   #14
BHPian

Talking from experience - dump the Honda dealer and look out for a known, reliable mechanic/garage. Honda will rip you royally. Correa is reputed though I have no first hand experience. Way back in 2008, I had to replace the A/C compressor in my City (dolphin shape) and was charged 31K by Ichibaan Honda. Felt cheated but had no options at that time.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 8th May 2012 at 12:28.
Old 8th May 2012, 12:42   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzlering View Post
Condenser tube can be brazed, which will be a permanent repair.
Modern condensers are Aluminium and not Copper. So brazing is out. Hard soldering Al is a fine and black art!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks