Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2006, 06:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

It's a normal Fiat feature. Don't worry about it. BUt don't you just love the loud hum of that fan.
Old 7th April 2006, 09:38   #17
BHPian

I have seen this feature on my friend's Palio 1.2 as well. This is very good for your engine and in older cars the ignition timing is said to change when you switch of the engine when the fan is running. Anybody knows why?

Also, I have often wondered if I could get this done on my car(esteem), have any of you done this to your car? If so do shed some light.
Old 8th April 2006, 00:30   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
The Premier Padmini has this feature as well.
I know... but:

I thought the PP's fan ran off a belt and was not electrical... can somebody confirm this?
Old 8th April 2006, 00:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$#
Also, I have often wondered if I could get this done on my car(esteem), have any of you done this to your car? If so do shed some light.
I'm not sure if the Esteem really needs this... My E2 Esteem runs pretty cool on a not too hot day (if I drive with a light foot), and even if I let the engine idle with the car stationary for a long time, the fan runs for just 1 - 2 mins at a stretch with about 5 mins in between... could it be that the Suzuki designers have got it spot on when it comes to efficiency ?

(13 Kmpl city; 15+ Kmpl highway; w/o AC)

- T u r b o C -
Old 8th April 2006, 02:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
asked a Fiat guy when I observed this on my Siena 1.6 and he said that it is designed that way to prevent any hotspots in the engine after switching off. But for that, the coolant pump also has to run??
Good point Nitin. Coolant pump is driven by the belt. What's the point in cooling the fluid in the radiator if it dosent reach the engine.
Must be some strange Italian Logic.
Old 8th April 2006, 12:50   #21
DRC
BHPian

When you cool the coolant, it circulates itself by convection
Old 8th April 2006, 14:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Good point Nitin. Coolant pump is driven by the belt. What's the point in cooling the fluid in the radiator if it dosent reach the engine.
Must be some strange Italian Logic.
When the coolant pump stops the coolant does not stop circulating instantly,it takes a few seconds to do so.the fan is the palio stays on for those few seconds(say like 5-7 seconds on the 1.6 and about 10 seconds on the 1.2).alsothe fan behaves like that,only if the ambient temp is very high.normally on my GTX it never stays on during the winter or rainny season only during Autumn and summer.
Old 8th April 2006, 14:44   #23
BHPian

Most cars nowadays have fans running on belts and fans start only when the heat is sensed, and fans naturally turn off as soon as the ignition is switched off. I guess its a Fiat special of running the fan after switching the ignition off.
Old 9th April 2006, 15:44   #24
BHPian

A different logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
When the coolant pump stops the coolant does not stop circulating instantly,it takes a few seconds to do so.the fan is the palio stays on for those few seconds(say like 5-7 seconds on the 1.6 and about 10 seconds on the 1.2).alsothe fan behaves like that,only if the ambient temp is very high.normally on my GTX it never stays on during the winter or rainny season only during Autumn and summer.
If we switch on the ignition again after the fan stops, the fan restarts.(i've experimented this)
so how is it possible??
So the fan runs even with out circulation of coolant tru engine(rite??)

The fan is controlled by the temperature sensors(in ac condensor coil and radiator cooling coil- they gives cumiliative input to ecu).
the fan and sensor ensures tat there is cool water available in the radiator coil.
and the thermostat lets in the cool water in required quantity to the engine.(adjusts flow) to keep engine temp with in limits.

cooling water circulation to engine is controlled by a thermostat.

so my opinion-
This 10 sec post switch offf running of fan wont help in preventing heat soaking of the engine..

So if u r stopping engine after a tuf ride and if the temp gauge shows more than half mark,give some time for cooling off( with engine runing)

the FIAT logic to have the cooling system independent from ignition control feels fine.

NB- in palio, the engine runs coooler when the AC is switched on.
becoz- the sensors give a cumiliative input to the ecu, which runs the fan in a higher speed, thus yields faster coolling

Drive safe

Sree

Last edited by MexXxentric : 9th April 2006 at 15:51.
Old 19th April 2006, 00:00   #25
BHPian

Yo pal !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
This is normal for most, if not all, Fiat cars. Even my bike runs its fan for a minute or 2 after I switch off the ignition. Its perfectly normal and should not affect your battery at all.
Ne body remember the PAL PEUGEOT 309 GLD? Ma cousins car has de same feature. Even when de engine is halted, the fan continues to run for a minute or so... TWIN fans, and sounds like a silent genset

And in my old zen diesel , the moment you switch on the a/c, the fan starts and it's throughout................... when the a/c is off, the fan stops too...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks