Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2006, 11:28   #16
BHPian

The car has now spent 10 days with Bosch service, RS Motorcrafts..
After checking the coolant sensor & wiring (which was suspected earlier), they today inform me that the ECU needs to be changed indeed.. And I have to go back to Sundaram as Bosch cannot give me a ECU with a warranty
Old 2nd June 2006, 17:35   #17
BHPian

Here is closure on this subject.

After 2+ months wait for it arrive from Italy, the ECU got changed, car is back on the road. Total expense 12K+.

FIAT: You just lost a fan :(
Old 2nd June 2006, 18:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

hey nitin, good to hear that your car is alright, the whole ECU thingie for 12K + isnt a major expense but 2 months wait is. I hope that improves with the new FIAT-TATA merger.
Old 2nd June 2006, 21:44   #19
BHPian

If the ECU IC is placed on a Heat Sink- I think it may be possible that after a 5-6 years of service the Thermal paste might dry up..! So you can indeed buy a good quality thermal paste and re-coat the IC..! There can also be a possibilty of adding a Mini- Fan to cool the heat sink provided that there is space inside the ECU Box.

This may help to cool the ECU unit ( with Fan faster- With Thermal paste- Also not as fast though)...!
Old 2nd June 2006, 22:27   #20
ECM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
If the ECU IC is placed on a Heat Sink- I think it may be possible that after a 5-6 years of service the Thermal paste might dry up..! So you can indeed buy a good quality thermal paste and re-coat the IC..! There can also be a possibilty of adding a Mini- Fan to cool the heat sink provided that there is space inside the ECU Box.

This may help to cool the ECU unit ( with Fan faster- With Thermal paste- Also not as fast though)...!
Excellent suggestion fm you dear wolfinstein and this is in practice a real case in many electronic appliances. V.good practical solution you provided.That paste hardly cost 15 odd bucks.
Old 21st June 2006, 16:14   #21
BHPian

OK.. Here we go again...
A week after the ECU change, the car started stalling with exactly the same symptoms. Starts fine, drive off, after 8-10KM it starts jerking and then the engine dies. After that it doesnt start. After 30 min, it starts like there is no problem at all.
Car goes back to Sundaram. They start changing all sensors one by one and testing it. Final verdict - its a fuel pump gone bad. Changed the pump. Took it on a 35KM test drive. Works fine.

Got the car back yday and it seems to be running fine. I have made more visits to the garage in the past 3 months than in 5 years of owning the car :(

Apparently, Sundaram have seen ECU and fuel pump issues in other Palio/Petra/Sienna as well. They had 3 cars for fuel pump replacements last weekend !!

@Wolf - I am going to open the old ECU and check for the heat sink paste..
Old 21st June 2006, 17:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
OK.. Here we go again...
A week after the ECU change, the car started stalling with exactly the same symptoms. Starts fine, drive off, after 8-10KM it starts jerking and then the engine dies. After that it doesnt start. After 30 min, it starts like there is no problem at all.
Car goes back to Sundaram. They start changing all sensors one by one and testing it. Final verdict - its a fuel pump gone bad. Changed the pump. Took it on a 35KM test drive. Works fine.

Got the car back yday and it seems to be running fine. I have made more visits to the garage in the past 3 months than in 5 years of owning the car :(

Apparently, Sundaram have seen ECU and fuel pump issues in other Palio/Petra/Sienna as well. They had 3 cars for fuel pump replacements last weekend !!

PM Khaadu with your results - I'm not sure if he has sorted out his Palio issues. Lamborghini seems to have some issues as well, but am not sure if this is related.

Congrats on getting your baby back, by the way.
Old 21st June 2006, 19:33   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
PM Khaadu with your results - I'm not sure if he has sorted out his Palio issues. Lamborghini seems to have some issues as well, but am not sure if this is related.

Congrats on getting your baby back, by the way.
Steeroid , U are right .. I still havnt figured out wats wrong with my Palio !! Infact tomorrow morning I have my mech finally coming over ... shud have it figured out by tomorrow afternoon -- though the strange thing is that the cars battery also died out completely while it had been parked for 10 odd days !!! And the battery is only 6 months old ... I'm confused as to why that happened ... ???

Cheers
Old 17th August 2006, 22:19   #24
BHPian

Thanks for your experience sharing. My GTX has same problem, and as soon as told the garage person in Pune. And replied saying we will check the fuel pump pls get vehicle at garage. will update once confirmed lets see! Thanks......
Old 23rd August 2010, 00:21   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag View Post
OK.. Here we go again...

Hi nitin ... i realize its been a while since you faced this issue ... Im facing a similar issue .. only there is no jerking, the car does not stop on its own, this happens when its stopped for a while and then I try to restart it.

please see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...n-problem.html

Was it a ECU problem in combination with the fuel pump or just the fuel pump?
Would love your inputs. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks