Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:54   #181
BHPian

Re: Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils

Hi Gaaij,
Have been using the 2011 Passat HL DSG since the last 220K kilometers.
The mechanic used to perform oil changes with Shell Helix Ultra, 5W40 oils but during the last oil change I shifted to MOBIL 5W30 ESP.
The car has started growling a bit maybe because of the detergent properties of the oil trying to cleanse the innards and hence causing a bit of more engine noise.
Otherwise, the car is a dream to drive with the smoothness gone up one notch.
My question is was it too late to shift to 5W30 ESP and should the next oil change be with 5W40 or should i continue with ESP?
Oh btw, if anyone is having troubles finding reliable aftermarker oil, fuel and air filters, please get in touch with www.carzspares.com for Hengst filter products.
Amit Naik is a gentleman and his company also deals in Brembo, Bilstein, Aisin, Zimmerman, Shell, FAG, UFI and Bando products.
Drive safe, always wear a seatbelt!!
Old 31st December 2018, 11:53   #182
BHPian

I noticed something strange at the VW service center. The engine oil barrels they use have Castrol Edge printed on them. However, they did have the usual VW stickers that are placed on packaging of spare parts.

The 1L engine oil packs do have Castrol Magnatec Professional printed on them.

I wonder if it is just rebranded Castrol Edge engine oil, or they have silently switched to it?
Old 31st December 2018, 12:00   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
I noticed something strange at the VW service center. The engine oil barrels they use have Castrol Edge printed on them. However, they did have the usual VW stickers that are placed on packaging of spare parts.

The 1L engine oil packs do have Castrol Magnatec Professional printed on them.

I wonder if it is just rebranded Castrol Edge engine oil, or they have silently switched to it?
You should be smart enough to know what they use. My personal experience, never go to authorised dealers for oil change.
Old 31st December 2018, 19:15   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
You should be smart enough to know what they use. My personal experience, never go to authorised dealers for oil change.
I am well informed about the maintenance. I have everything done before my eyes.

Anyway, I know the service center use the oil from the barrels, but like I said the barrels have VW part stickers (VW part number and everything).

I was just surprised by the barrels reading Castrol Edge, and whether VW switched to it or is simply Castrol Magnatec Professional a rebranded oil, after all.

Last edited by halfbytecode : 31st December 2018 at 19:17.
Old 31st December 2018, 20:46   #185
BHPian

Quote:
I am well informed about the maintenance. I have everything done before my eyes.

Anyway, I know the service center use the oil from the barrels, but like I said the barrels have VW part stickers (VW part number and everything).

I was just surprised by the barrels reading Castrol Edge, and whether VW switched to it or is simply Castrol Magnatec Professional a rebranded oil, after all.

Dear that's what I am trying to say. Even if you get things done in front of your eyes and even if there is a barrel which mentions some specific oil how would you know what oil is being poured in your engine. How much time does it take to fill some xyz oil in a barrel with some brand mentioned.
Prash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 21:45   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Dear that's what I am trying to say. Even if you get things done in front of your eyes and even if there is a barrel which mentions some specific oil how would you know what oil is being poured in your engine. How much time does it take to fill some xyz oil in a barrel with some brand mentioned.
Such possibilities are endless. They can even swap out new spares with counterfeit or used parts cleaned up well. However, there is a certain level of trust when it comes to this particular dealership. I will not go into those details, as my post was not about the possible frauds at a service center!
Old 1st February 2019, 13:05   #187
BHPian

It has come to my notice that VW India have started to use Castrol Edge Professional 5W-40. Unlike the regular Castrol Edge 5W-40, this has the required VW 505 01 recommendation.

I recall a bit that in the international markets Magnatec Professional was phased out a long time ago, and was replaced by Edge Professional. Now the same seems to have happened in India. I wonder what took them a number of years to do it.
Old 1st February 2019, 13:56   #188
BHPian

Quote:
It has come to my notice that VW India have started to use Castrol Edge Professional 5W-40. Unlike the regular Castrol Edge 5W-40, this has the required VW 505 01 recommendation.

I recall a bit that in the international markets Magnatec Professional was phased out a long time ago, and was replaced by Edge Professional. Now the same seems to have happened in India. I wonder what took them a number of years to do it.
I recently came to know that the A.S.S now get the oil in 5L cans. Is this part of the change mentioned by you? I think they used to get the oil in Castrol branded barrels earlier.
Old 1st February 2019, 17:52   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
I recently came to know that the A.S.S now get the oil in 5L cans. Is this part of the change mentioned by you? I think they used to get the oil in Castrol branded barrels earlier.
Thanks for mentioning that. I did see barrels with new branding at the service center. I reported that a while back in the this thread.

Additionally I saw new 1 L packs with Castrol Edge Professional 5W-40 branding, this time.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 14:59   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Got the rapid services, outside of the Skoda Service, since they were pressing for the ill famous software update.

Used Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100 synthetic oil conforming to VW 505.01 standard
Castrol Magnetec profesional 5w 40, recommended by VW seems to fully synthetic and 505.01 compliant, which is not available in the market and VW does not sell Off the counter.

As per Liquimolly's website , "Liqui Molly Top Tec 4100 5w 40" is not fully synthetic (its only Synthetic technology), though it is 505.01 compliant and has excellent reviews on teambhp.

I am not greatly satisfied with the OEM Catrol magnetec professional refilled by VW during ASS (not sure if they used recommened synthetic oil), hence funnelled down to Liquimolly only to find that it is not fully synthetic, Please share your views and recommendations.

Anandh
Old 26th February 2019, 21:11   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandharamanp View Post
Castrol Magnetec profesional 5w 40, recommended by VW seems to fully synthetic and 505.01 compliant, which is not available in the market and VW does not sell Off the counter.

As per Liquimolly's website , "Liqui Molly Top Tec 4100 5w 40" is not fully synthetic (its only Synthetic technology), though it is 505.01 compliant and has excellent reviews on teambhp.

I am not greatly satisfied with the OEM Catrol magnetec professional refilled by VW during ASS (not sure if they used recommened synthetic oil), hence funnelled down to Liquimolly only to find that it is not fully synthetic, Please share your views and recommendations.

Anandh
I have driven the car for a good 13000 kms with teh liqui moly oil. The car was very soft and the engine noise was very subdued.

Recently got the car serviced from Skoda A.S.S. and they used castrol again. The engine turned rough so much so that the difference was felt loud and clear.

Its been about 5000 kms and I am thinking to shift to liqui molly again.

Top tec is good. You should switch to top tec.
deepfusion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 09:37   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
I have driven the car for a good 13000 kms with teh liqui moly oil. The car was very soft and the engine noise was very subdued.
Same experience with me. 1st service (after owning a used Passat) was at ASS. 2nd service done at a local garage using 'Liqui Moly 5w40 TopTec 4100' . The first ignition and engine noise after the oil change from whatever ASS used to this Liqui Moly was amazingly different. Low noise and vibration. For the first few weeks after the of oil change (at the stops) i would not understand that the engine was running or not.

And I always thought 'Liqui Moly 5w40 TopTec 4100' is fully synthetic oil. Can someone throw more light on this please?
Old 27th February 2019, 21:55   #193
BHPian

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils

Quote:
And I always thought 'Liqui Moly 5w40 TopTec 4100' is fully synthetic oil. Can someone throw more light on this please?

Top tec is listed under "synthetic technology" in liquimolly website; and NOT under fully synthetic or partly synthetic category. Hence i am contemplating. Refer pic of description from their site about top tec: Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-imageuploadedbyteambhp1551284677.507004.jpg
anandharamanp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 21:21   #194
BHPian

Sharing some additional insights about Synthetic oil that i explored:
Some "synthetic" oil is made from Group III base stock, some from Group IV. Some from a blend of the two. Mobil sued Castrol and Castrol prevailed in showing that their Group III base stock oil was changed enough that it qualified as full synthetic. Since then API has removed all references to Synthetic in their documentation regarding standards. "Full synthetic" is a marketing term and is not a measurable quality.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

some synthetic oils are made from highly refined crude oil. A process known as severe hydrocracking breaks the long chain hydrocarbons into shorter, more uniform molecules and at the same time reduces the level of impurities in the oil. The oil produced, known as API Group III oil, has almost identical properties to synthetic PAO oil and in the U.S. is regarded as synthetic. In Germany, it is often referred to as HC synthesis oil.
Source: https://www.bizol.com/phase-out/moto...synthetic-oil/

My Inference: basis the above explanation , castrol(UK based) being a Non german company may label Castrol Magnetec professional 5w 40 as "Fully synthetic" where as Liqui Molly (German based) labels top tec 4100 5w 40 as "Synthesis technology" and not fully synthetic.

One last doubt: Now that i infer castrol magnetec and top tec 4100 belong to same group 3, i am willing to use it, however i also understand that top tec is recommended for LOW SAPS fuel - but the fuel available in india is only less than 50 ppm of sulphur and not less than 10 ppm of sulphur.

So is it safe to use "Liqui Moly top tec 4100 5w 40" along with BS 4 fuel? Experts please suggest.

Last edited by anandharamanp : 3rd March 2019 at 21:24.
anandharamanp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 18:53   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Cloudtail is selling 5W-40 SN engine oils for roughly ~750 bucks. Which 1 liter pack to buy (top-up purposes only) for my Octavia 1.8 TSI?

Castrol Edge:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Liqui Moly
https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-Lei...y&sr=8-14&th=1

Shell Helix Ultra:
https://www.amazon.in/Shell-Helix-55...gateway&sr=8-6

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks