Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2012, 09:39   #1

Skoda Laura DSG: Transmission oil & Timing belt replacement queries

Friends,

I have a Skoda Laura DSG (old model) diesel with 64k km on the odo. Now, when I want to do preventive maintenance on the car, I am faced with different points of view. My local mechanic (a reputed one on ECR, Chennai) says that the DSG gearbox oil need not be replaced. However, the skoda dealer says the oil needs to be replaced at 60k km. They also said that it would require ~ 7 lt of this oil with a per lit price of Rs.1300/- or so. Supposedly, this oil is available only from Skoda/ dealer and is difficult to source outside (not your typical 'grade' oil). Total cost for replacement of oil at the dealer runs to ~ Rs.10k.

Also, reg. the timing belt. Have any one of you replaced the timing belt on your skoda? If so, does the belt come with a pair of tensioners that also need to be replaced? Any place in Chennai that you can recommend that sells genuine Skoda/ VW parts? I hear from dealer this will cost ~18k (incl. labor + tax). Is this the right figure? I want to do it from this independent mechanic (I have more confidence in him than the skoda service center), if I can procure the part outside.

Btw, I got this car used, a month ago..!

Thanks!
laurabeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 10:38   #2
BHPian

re: Skoda Laura DSG: Transmission oil & Timing belt replacement queries

Well what does you car manual say? Refer to that completely and then check with gurudev if their intention is to bluff you as is the case with them usually on account of them being the sole dealer for Skoda in chennai.
Old 13th May 2012, 10:53   #3
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Skoda A.S.S is correct, IMO its 4 yrs or 60k for DSG and its around 5.5l.
Also for TB, its better to do it around 60k. 18k is in the range. It is better to change the tensioner and pulley too. Also the health of waterpump too. If reqd change that too.

Last edited by v&v : 13th May 2012 at 11:01.
v&v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 12:25   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura DSG: Transmission oil & Timing belt replacement queries

IMHO, please don't take any risk with DSG. Go as per the manual recommends. Also, the oil must be synthetic, which is good, and hence the price. However, make sure about the quantity of the oil that goes in.

Regarding timing belt, I'd suggest to get ORIGINAL parts and get it done from the A.S.S . These are recurring jobs, and the A.S.S expertise on a specific car is hard to match at an independent garage.

Another reason for me to suggest the A.S.S is that they give a 6 month(?) warranty on jobs, and if anything goes wrong its much better to re-visit the A.S.S than a local mech, for the expensive drama afterwords.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 14:18   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

AFAIK the transmission oil for DSG gearbox is different than other oils. I advise is to stick to the manufacturer's recommendation, if you do not want to buy it from Authorised Service Station get it from some imported parts dealer but make sure you get the manufacturer specified grade.

In regard to maintenance schedule i always prefer to stick to manufacturer's guidelines in the manual. The guys who designed and manufactured the car know it better than a roadside mechanic who might gain experience at your cost.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 16:26   #6
BANNED

Gurudev Motors is certainly not amongst the preferred Skoda dealers around and that is known. However, since you purchased this car pre owned and are new to the world of Skoda, I d recommend you go to them and be with the vehicle when the DSG oil is being replaced. Also, the timing belt replacement is a mundane job and you could get it done at the same place.

Begin trusting your FNG by initially giving him small pieces of work like getting hold of a rattle somewhere, aligning and balancing the wheels and steering, doing the general oil replacements and such so that you slowly build confidence in him.

If you are intent on NOT getting the job done at Gurudev Motors, come down to Bangalore and get it done here. It will be worth the effort and the drive.

MODS: IMO this thread should be merged with the Skoda Laura technical issues thread.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 16:53   #7

Thanks guys for your responses! I think it is better to stick to the manufacturer's schedule for these services.. I Have heard about Skoda A.S.S in Bangalore before.. Will probably try that one of these days.

@ Mods. I did see the technical issues thread on Skoda Laura. please move it under that if this is not the right place.
Old 24th August 2012, 15:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabeast View Post
Friends,

I have a Skoda Laura DSG (old model) diesel with 64k km on the odo. Now, when I want to do preventive maintenance on the car, I am faced with different points of view. My local mechanic (a reputed one on ECR, Chennai) says that the DSG gearbox oil need not be replaced. However, the skoda dealer says the oil needs to be replaced at 60k km. They also said that it would require ~ 7 lt of this oil with a per lit price of Rs.1300/- or so. Supposedly, this oil is available only from Skoda/ dealer and is difficult to source outside (not your typical 'grade' oil). Total cost for replacement of oil at the dealer runs to ~ Rs.10k.

Also, reg. the timing belt. Have any one of you replaced the timing belt on your skoda? If so, does the belt come with a pair of tensioners that also need to be replaced? Any place in Chennai that you can recommend that sells genuine Skoda/ VW parts? I hear from dealer this will cost ~18k (incl. labor + tax). Is this the right figure? I want to do it from this independent mechanic (I have more confidence in him than the skoda service center), if I can procure the part outside.

Btw, I got this car used, a month ago..!

Thanks!
The A.S.S will claim that the lubricant in the transmission case is good for the lifetime of the vehicle, however in our Indian condition with unavoidable stop and go, along with high revs during overtaking, the clutch plates tend to wear out quicker, thereby leaving a residue in the lubricant, the lubricant eventually acts like emery paper on the remaining components thus destroying each and every moving part in the transmission case, a flush is essential Try voltronic atf 9K
Hope this helps
Old 24th August 2012, 17:12   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for your responses! I think it is better to stick to the manufacturer's schedule for these services.. I Have heard about Skoda A.S.S in Bangalore before.. Will probably try that one of these days.
Any update?
It's been 3 months.
How did it go?
Your experience will help others as well.
Old 4th October 2012, 23:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Any update?
It's been 3 months.
How did it go?
Your experience will help others as well.
I got it serviced at Skoda A.S.S and got it same day.. Transmission feels probably a little smoother (not that it was not smooth before).. Bill ~ 11k.

I would urge you all to get the tranny oil changed if over 60k
laurabeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 12:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I got it serviced at Skoda A.S.S and got it same day.. Transmission feels probably a little smoother (not that it was not smooth before).. Bill ~ 11k.

I would urge you all to get the tranny oil changed if over 60k
laurabeast,

I am now in the same state as you were.
Please let me know what all the bill of 11k included? Was it for timing belt only? Or timing belt + water pump?
Or is that rate for the transmission oil change?

Please clarify; your help is required as my Laura is almost at 66000 now.
Old 3rd April 2013, 13:16   #12

11k was for tranny flush..

I got timing belt + pulleys from Skodaparts.com in UK and got it installed by an expert independent skoda mech (Not S.A.S.S)...

Cost = 8k parts + 2k labor..

Hope this helps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
laurabeast,

I am now in the same state as you were.
Please let me know what all the bill of 11k included? Was it for timing belt only? Or timing belt + water pump?
Or is that rate for the transmission oil change?

Please clarify; your help is required as my Laura is almost at 66000 now.
laurabeast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 18:53   #13

Quote:
11k was for tranny flush..

I got timing belt + pulleys from Skodaparts.com in UK and got it installed by an expert independent skoda mech (Not S.A.S.S)...

Cost = 8k parts + 2k labor..

Hope this helps..
@laurabeast - 8K for parts, does it also include the shipping cost to your place -Chennai or you got it through someone travelling from UK? If you don't mind can you please throw some more light regarding the procurement part?

Had visited skodaparts.com, but could not gather much information regarding shipping -locations to, shipping charges, customs clearance if any (for higher cost parts), etc.

I am having a pre-owned Laura 1.9 DSG. Just to be aware of such a channel, when need arises. Also my friend is having an Octy L&K Combi, and is on the lookout for the original Xenon headlamp kits. Expensive in local S.A.S.S and not readily available. Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks