Team-BHP - Verna CRDi starting problem after cylinder head overhaul
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Verna CRDi starting problem after cylinder head overhaul (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/121232-verna-crdi-starting-problem-after-cylinder-head-overhaul.html)

Dear Motorheads,
I am suffering from a very weird issue and i have done almost everything to know whats wrong but i have failed on that.
Details about my car:
Verna CRDi - 95,000 Kms done, very maintained in all manners. Looks and drives like new. Clutch plate changed at 77k, tyres once at 43k and second time at 86k kms. Shockups, steering rack etc. all changed when worn out.

Here is how it goes :
My driver was on a highway driving my 2007 Verna diesel at speeds like 100-120 with AC on. After about 250 Kms with a half hour stop at 150 Kms, the blower started giving hot air so he turned off the AC but continued to drive. He thought that as the AC had been repaired like a month back, it must have come up again with the problem. He did not bother to check the temperature gauge as i feel. He gives no concrete answer about the gauge though.

The car stopped after sometime and refused to start-up with the self. He then kept trying the self for say 10 times but did not succeed. Also, he poured some water on the radiator and may be inside also after 15-20 minutes. After another 15 minutes, he got some road side people to push the car and managed to get it running by that. The car again stopped after doing some 10 Kms. Again he was on some bridge where it stopped so he took a roll on there and started the car.

He did not inform me about all this but my relatives who were in the car told me the whole story later in the night after the car had a hault for 3 hours. I got tensed as i understood it was a coolant failure and that he should have not done all this to start the engine. I myself tried with the self, pump, battery reset etc. No success.

Finally, my mechanic came and checked the self after opening radiator cap and confirmed that the head gasket etc. has blown off. The car was taken to the garage and after opening the cylinder head, it was confirmed that the head gasket, piston rings and heater plugs were completely damaged and oil-water had mixed in the head. Hyundai here has stopped counter sale of parts. So i managed to get it from this dealer who got it from Mumbai or some place where he had a good hold. All original Hyundai/KIA packing and genuine parts.

Got it all done. Changed head gasket, piston rings, heater plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter and got all necessary done to get the cylinder head sealed and working fine. Was advised by my mechanic to not drive at speeds more than 70km/h and get oil filter and oil changed at 1-1.5 kms. The car was taking a long single self to start up but driving it was fine. After some 100 Kms, an issue came up that the car won't start unless the diesel pump was used (manual pushes) and the car took a long self say about 4 seconds or more. We got the diesel pump body checked, changed the diesel filter and all the required nuts visors, which might causing the air leak. The car started without the pumps now.

After another 100 Kms same problem. The car won't start and pumping required. After 50 more kms (total 250 kms now) it won't start with the pump, but i need to turn off and on the ignition as to make heater plugs work for three times in a row to start engine at one self (again which is 4-6 seconds). Worked fine and the mechanic said things will be fine as soon as the carbon deposit is build and that all this will be fine after 1000-1500 kms and oil change etc.

Now, what happened today is the car started fine in the morning. The car on road is fine and there is no problem with the driving. The turbo is kicking in like always after 2k rpm, the car has absolutely no problem at all while driving. Last night i went 20 kms, had a hault of an hour and the car started fine. Today after a hault of 25kms run, it refused to start with self, pumping, battery reset or anything. Though there's a 10% possibility that it might start up if its kept idle and cools down completely. Not sure on that too. Now, my mechanic has checked it many many times. Heating it, keeping it on for hours. It sometimes starts, sometimes doesn't. Now today he's advising to get the injectors checked. But i'm afraid what if even after that my problem does not get solved.

I'm really clueless on what to do, what not to do. Have taken advises from 2 mechanics and they all say that they have no idea now about what can be the problem. I don't want to go to the Authorized service station as i don't trust them and as they do poor job.

Seeking some advise from all you experts as what might be the issue with this start up problem and that too which happens sometimes. I have to keep my car and don't want to sell it for another year.
Please advise me on what should be done next and what can be the real fault now. Waiting Keenly.

Best Regards,
Pankaj

Couple of things I suspect

1) There is an air leak in your diesel line to the diesel filter
2) Heater plugs may need to be changed
3) Another off the cuff point based of an issue seen on another car could be that your timing belt could be off (cannot be sure if this could be an issue)

Another question was there scouring on the cylinder walls when you opened the engine, if so was it polished / rebored (am assuming not) if the scouring remains and the engine heats up there is a chance for engine seizure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho (Post 2791181)
Couple of things I suspect

1) There is an air leak in your diesel line to the diesel filter
2) Heater plugs may need to be changed
3) Another off the cuff point based of an issue seen on another car could be that your timing belt could be off (cannot be sure if this could be an issue)

Another question was there scouring on the cylinder walls when you opened the engine, if so was it polished / rebored (am assuming not) if the scouring remains and the engine heats up there is a chance for engine seizure.

Air leak - Got it checked once will get it done once again. We caught a air leak in the diesel filter body and we did the necessary to stop the leak.
Heater plugs - i mentioned that in my post. Got them changed with new genuine hyundai's.
Timing chain - is perfectly fine, got it checked.

Polishing - Oh yes. I forgot to mention this. Yes rubbing and polishing was done on the walls but very little and was done taking care of everything required and then packed with sealant where it got uneven. Though it was very minute and near one cylinder only at one place. My friend's verna's head was treated the same way 6 months back after the same issue and his car's cylinder walls had more damage. Still he never faced such a weird problem.

And yes, the pistons came out completely fine with NO damage at all.

Also, after my last post, i kept the car idle for 2 hours. It started in one self without diesel pumping or anything. I have now came 7 Kms with AC on and after my hault, i tried starting the car the very same time and i was successful.

Can fuel injector servicing in any chance solve this? Or anything else which can get me rid of this start up failure. Also, will the start up really get as normal as before after 1-1.5k kms?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pankajthere (Post 2791203)
Can fuel injector servicing in any chance solve this? Or anything else which can get me rid of this start up failure. Also, will the start up really get as normal as before after 1-1.5k kms?

Fuel injector cleaning is best done at an authorised bosch center and it can help.

I am not sure if this will go away but sure hope that it does.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

I am left with not much of options. Even today it acted so weird. started 3 times nicely at once after 4 kms haults and 15 minutes breaks thrice. now its parked since an hour and now refuses to turn on.
I'm going to get the fuel lines checked for any air lock and get the injectors serviced and checked.
Should i take the car to authorized s.s and get OBD plugged and check for errors? or should i wait for the car to run a 1000kms first and see if things get fine on their own. Really too puzzled and upset.

yet another weird thing happened. the car refused to start at so many selfs. the last one i left clutch but did not leave self as in key with full round. wonder what... the car starts at very next self. after that, i turned off and on my engine for 5 times at one self. strange. :|

update : diesel filter body pump seems to be damaged... looking for one now

Quote:

Originally Posted by pankajthere
..the last one i left clutch but did not leave self as in key with full round. wonder what... the car starts at very next self. after that, i turned off and on my engine for 5 times at one self. strange. :|

On reading above quote, it seems that it might be problem with the Clutch Switch.stupid:. I may be wrong but you could give it a try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi
On reading above quote, it seems that it might be problem with the Clutch Switch.stupid:. I may be wrong but you could give it a try.

all checked. a lot more than ever thought. problem still not clear. last try after 2000kms will be hi pressure bosch diesel pump servicing. thanks for the reply man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pankajthere (Post 2802709)
all checked. a lot more than ever thought. problem still not clear. last try after 2000kms will be hi pressure bosch diesel pump servicing. thanks for the reply man.

Any updates after this ?

I truly feel you should've gone to the authorised service centre to open up your engine. There's a world of difference between a mechanic who only works on Hyundai engines and your outside mechanic who deals with multi brand engines.

If you intend to keep your car for another year I seriously suggest you take it to a Hyundai service centre and get it rectified. Even if your Hyundai service centre isn't the best around they definitely have more expertise than your outside mechanic.

Sorry. Never updated here.
Head rebuilt. Lathe machine job executed. Gasket, valves etc. replaced. Check done even on camshaft, rocker arms etc. Combustion and other pressures checked. Authorised job.
Car has done 10k kms after that. Running absolutely fine and even mileage is great. Took it above 160kmph many times. Starts everday in just 2 seconds.
No problems at all now.
Cheers!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pankajthere (Post 3054735)
Sorry. Never updated here.
Head rebuilt. Lathe machine job executed. Gasket, valves etc. replaced. Check done even on camshaft, rocker arms etc. Combustion and other pressures checked. Authorised job.
Car has done 10k kms after that. Running absolutely fine and even mileage is great. Took it above 160kmph many times. Starts everday in just 2 seconds.
No problems at all now.
Cheers!!!

Hi, what was the approx cost you had spent on the above jobs, inclusive of spares.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajivanoj (Post 4003700)
Hi, what was the approx cost you had spent on the above jobs, inclusive of spares.

Had spent around 40K in total.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pankajthere (Post 3054735)

Was the above done at HASS?
Quote:

Originally Posted by pankajthere (Post 4223422)
Had spent around 40K in total.

Can you please give separate cost incurred by you at Local Mechanic and HASS?

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi (Post 4226609)
Was the above done at HASS?

Can you please give separate cost incurred by you at Local Mechanic and HASS?

No. It wasn't done at HASS but at a local garage and all genuine parts were used. The guy who did it was a past senior most mechanic at HASS. It's been years so I do not exactly remember the separate costs.