Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2012, 16:09   #46
BHPian

Re: Restoration of Arun's FIAT - '91 Premier Padmini 'Economy'

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd August 2012 at 14:41.
allana13 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th August 2012, 16:41   #47
Senior - BHPian

Behram Sir: Thanks for giving such valuable information about Padmini, which no one else could have given!

Last edited by GTO : 22nd August 2012 at 14:41. Reason: Quoted post deleted
funkykar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 17:26   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shivshanker - the simple answer to your question is - YES. Local garages have lots of time at their disposal, they can build a body part by tinkering. For example, the complete headlight mounting interfaces on the front fenders of my super-select are hand tinkered. Even the headlight ring fixing bracket design is changed, these are made by me and fitted otherwise you just cannot get such perfect interfaces. It took me 4 days to complete just two headlight mountings. Please see the photograph, you will not be able to make it out but if you open the bonnet and see, you will realize the effort which has gone in. Factory cannot work like this. In production at the rate of 60 cars per day at that time, soldering was the only option.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram Ji,

Thank you for the insight, two questions

1. for a newbie toying with the idea of restoring a Permier to "Parinda" fame.. I guess it is just a matter of time, money and the right skills on the part of the tinker'er, combined with right guidance (from experts like you) to get the right mountings.

2. slightly off topic, with so many Premiers Taxi's plying the Bombay roads... why are Fiat lovers seeking pre owned beauties rather than picking up a black and yellow for 15-20K Rs. ?
Old 9th August 2012, 19:43   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Dear Behram Ji,

Thank you for the insight, two questions

1. for a newbie toying with the idea of restoring a Permier to "Parinda" fame.. I guess it is just a matter of time, money and the right skills on the part of the tinker'er, combined with right guidance (from experts like you) to get the right mountings.

2. slightly off topic, with so many Premiers Taxi's plying the Bombay roads... why are Fiat lovers seeking pre owned beauties rather than picking up a black and yellow for 15-20K Rs. ?
You have a point there.

Next time i am in mumbai i am going to get my hands on one
Old 10th August 2012, 09:17   #50
BHPian

Dear Karthik & Arun,

That is an outstanding restoration job done. And yes, this thread of yours will be used by me more often than not. After seeing your pictures my family is pressuring me to paint my car in this colour only. Thanks a lot for the no. of pictures you have put up for the benefit of others.
altoman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 10:55   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoman View Post
Dear Karthik & Arun,

That is an outstanding restoration job done. And yes, this thread of yours will be used by me more often than not. After seeing your pictures my family is pressuring me to paint my car in this colour only. Thanks a lot for the no. of pictures you have put up for the benefit of others.
Thanks for the compliments.

Restore your car just like how it looked when new as in the pics. Behram Sir will help you in identifying the model and color of your Padmini! Waiting for more updates on your thread!
Old 11th August 2012, 10:15   #52
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Taking my wifey for a drive in Arun's car.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of Arun's FIAT - '91 Premier Padmini 'Economy'-dsc01981.jpg  

Karthik1100 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 13:17   #53
Senior - BHPian

Behram Sir,

Can you please confirm about Economy Model features:

1. Did Economy model in 1991 have Reverse lights?
Arun's car had the reverse lamps as per the old pics and also has original wire for the reverse lamps.

2. Did the windshield beading have the aluminium inserts in them?

Kindly guide us Sir.
Old 15th August 2012, 19:13   #54
BHPian

Re: Restoration of Arun's FIAT - 1991 Premier Padmini 'Economy'

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
To sum up, the total costs incurred:
  • Tinkering: Rs. 25,000
  • Painting: Rs. 15,000
  • Mechanic: Rs. 12,000
  • Spares: Rs. 18,000
  • Electrician: Rs. 1000
  • Upholstery: Rs. 5000
  • Miscellaneous: Rs. 5000

Highlights of the Restoration:
  • Started in August 2009, the restoration was completed in July 2012. The reason for delay is personal commitments and to get dates with the tinkers and mechanics. The car was safely parked at Arun's home when the car was not worked upon.
  • The restoration was done at garages near to Arun's home in Jayamahal, he knew them personally since almost two decades. As they say, a known devil is better than an unknown angel.. LOL
  • Arun was personally very involved in the entire restoration. Even work was done in the presence of Arun. The people who worked upon the car were kind enough to work as per Arun's guidelines.
  • The outcome of the restoration is good if not fantastic. But Arun is surely content with the outcome and happy that it's finally complete and back on road!!

Thanksgiving time!

Special thanks to all those professionals who worked with extra interest, Team-FCB, PAVAN KADAM, FCCCI - Pune, FCCC Mumbai, FCCH, FCL, FCK, FB Fiatians, Team-Bhpians and team-Bhp!
and heartful thanks to BEHRAM DHABHAR Sirji for giving us so much knowledge about FIATs. Thanks a ton BD Sir. I'm sure you will love this FIAT as it looks very similar to your rally FIAT MMY 43!!! Arun got to know many details of his FIAT, like the color name, uniqueness of the ECONOMY model, all because of you Sir.
That a ton of information there, in your detailed write up.. I did not see u cover the suspension and the Radiator restoration part.

also under the wheel flares have u put in rubber paint.
Old 15th August 2012, 19:25   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoration of Arun's FIAT - 1991 Premier Padmini 'Economy'

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
I did not see u cover the suspension and the Radiator restoration part.
The car is a very sparingly driven car for 22 years. Totally drive till date is 35120 kms.

The shock absorbers and the leaf springs had no issue at all. All that was done was cleaned and painted the suspension parts with new rubber bushes everywhere.

Quote:
also under the wheel flares have u put in rubber paint.
The wheel wells were coated with Asian Paint's pitch and painted two coats of Aspa paint on it.
funkykar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 16:04   #56
BHPian

Can any one suggest a Good Garage in Bombay (AKA Mumbai) than can do work to such a high standard and not break the bank ?
Old 17th August 2012, 08:36   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allana13 View Post
Can any one suggest a Good Garage in Bombay (AKA Mumbai) than can do work to such a high standard and not break the bank ?
I don't think there will be any such garage who will do high standard work for less price. You need to find workmen who knows good job and get work done by paying them a little more than normal. All such people wont be at one place though. So you need to hunt for a good tinker, painter, mechanic across various garages..

Last edited by funkykar : 17th August 2012 at 08:38.
Old 17th August 2012, 10:11   #58
Senior - BHPian

The body coloured bumpers look awesome and they break the mundaneness of chrome.Im going to try the same experiment when i acquire a Premier Padmini (an S1 preferably) soon.
Old 17th August 2012, 10:59   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allana13 View Post
allan A, do you have a PP or a Fiat in Bombay, are u planning on restoring one or searching for one to be restored.
Old 17th August 2012, 16:47   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
The body coloured bumpers look awesome and they break the mundaneness of chrome.Im going to try the same experiment when i acquire a Premier Padmini (an S1 preferably) soon.
Ram, the white color bumpers was not cos of mundaneness or any experiment; but because this model of Padmini featured body colored bumpers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks