Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2017, 12:52   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Premier Padmini - buy and restore !

@Swami69 - have you reached out to the Fiat Clubs ? Speak to members - they will help you out. You may even get lucky with a well maintained car that needs no restoration at all.
Old 17th January 2017, 12:56   #77
BHPian

Though I have no idea about the questions you asked, the Premier Padmini is one car which I really adore, and after seeing some fantastically maintained ones by TBHPians I am sure they are a joy to own.

Very best of luck to you on this project, I'll keep coming back to this thread.
cr4nkshaft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 13:38   #78
h14
BHPian

Hi swami69, I believe you have got the things right and the budget too is good enough. I would strictly recommend a Petrol padmini and that too the 1100 engine with column shift which will keep you grinning every time you drive! Have the S1 as the next option. Strict no to Diesel

Somehow missed replying to your PM and was reminded of that as soon as I saw this thread. And even if you are slightly overshooting the budget, I would recommend to pick one with most works done. I had a tough time to source the struts for my Super Select. Parts are slowing becoming tough to come by.

I will keep an eye and let you know if I come across any good cars that are on sale. Good luck in the hunt and hope to see a Padmini in your garage soon

Last edited by h14 : 17th January 2017 at 13:45.
Old 17th January 2017, 14:49   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Swami69 - have you reached out to the Fiat Clubs ? Speak to members - they will help you out. You may even get lucky with a well maintained car that needs no restoration at all.
Thanks Condor, I am trying to establish my first contact with "funkycar" who I guess is a fiat club member in Bangalore. It would be great to have a car with no restoration requirements, but that will beat the purpose of this project as I would want to learn through the process and start loving it

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Hi swami69, I believe you have got the things right and the budget too is good enough. I would strictly recommend a Petrol padmini and that too the 1100 engine with column shift which will keep you grinning every time you drive! Have the S1 as the next option. Strict no to Diesel
Thanks h14, Fiatians and well wishers in this forum rave about the S1 exhaust note and at the same time, a column shift is really Vintage in today's world - Did the S1 came with a Column shift as well ? as I saw couple of contradicting messages in couple of threads. So, an S1 with column shift would be Ideal !! if at all it exist.

Swami
Old 17th January 2017, 15:05   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
It would be great to have a car with no restoration requirements, but that will beat the purpose of this project as I would want to learn through the process and start loving it
True - Karthik would be the man !

I still suggest a good car over restoration. Restoration may give a certain satisfaction, but it is also very important to get the right car. Just in case you end up with a badly maintained piece, you may end up in frustration when trying to restore it.

Restoration or not, you will still have the satisfaction of doing the maintenance yourself.

But that petrol engine !! And the column shift !!

All the best in your search !
Old 17th January 2017, 15:21   #81
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Did the S1 came with a Column shift as well ? as I saw couple of contradicting messages in couple of threads.
Yes it did come and funkycar has one.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 09:59   #82
BHPian

Re: Restoration of Arun's FIAT - '91 Premier Padmini 'Economy'

I have located a Premier Padmini 1995 S1 Petrol model in descent condition. I have not yet seen the car as it is 300 kms away from Chennai. I need to make plans to go, but before that I wanted to check whether it is worth to pursue. As discussed with the owner and seen some images over whatsapp..

The seller is very responsive and quickly sent necessary photos including RC and Insurance papers
He bought it an year back with an idea of holding to a old car as passion. But, unfortunately, none of his family members are comfortable driving the column shift car and hence he wants to sell it.
White colour, column shift, bench seat
CNG kit fixed, but being used only with Petrol
He claims there are no major rust anywhere on the under chassis, running board etc., he mentioned couple of places in the right fender there are paint chipping and bubbles for which he has sent photos
All electricals are working as per him and this vehicle also has a thermostat for fan cut off
Tyres have another 40% life

few images

Restoration of Arun's FIAT - '91 Premier Padmini 'Economy'-pp1.jpg
Restoration of Arun's FIAT - '91 Premier Padmini 'Economy'-pp2.jpg
Restoration of Arun's FIAT - '91 Premier Padmini 'Economy'-pp3.jpg
Restoration of Arun's FIAT - '91 Premier Padmini 'Economy'-pp4.jpg
Restoration of Arun's FIAT - '91 Premier Padmini 'Economy'-pp5.jpg
Restoration of Arun's FIAT - '91 Premier Padmini 'Economy'-pp6.jpg

Please have a look at the engine bay / body line and comment on the situation and also on the originality. He also sent a video of engine running, but unfortunately could not upload, but checked through whatsapp with Nitrous and he felt the engine was good. Looking forward to your comments based on above pictures so that I can pursue this one.

Swami
Old 1st February 2017, 11:34   #83
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Please have a look at the engine bay / body line and comment on the situation and also on the originality. He also sent a video of engine running, but unfortunately could not upload, but checked through whatsapp with Nitrous and he felt the engine was good. Looking forward to your comments based on above pictures so that I can pursue this one.

Swami
Car looks decent. Again, FIAT's are photogenic and can't really find faults from pictures. Where is the car located?
Old 1st February 2017, 12:18   #84
BHPian

Thanks for your comment. The car is located at Thiruthuraipoondi, near to Thiruvarur. The seller has sent me more photos of the under body and floor pan and they seem not too bad in my opinion. While there are some rust spots, a thorough cleaning and rust prevention on top of it would do. Atleast from the number of photos he shared, I do not find any major tinkering requirement.

Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Car looks decent. Again, FIAT's are photogenic and can't really find faults from pictures. Where is the car located?
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 14:55   #85
BHPian

https://www.olx.in/item/1991-fiat-ca...-ID1bueVL.html

Posting link of a 1991 fiat from olx. Going for peanuts. Anybody interested can contact the buyer.
Old 23rd March 2019, 14:38   #86
Senior - BHPian

Thank you funkykar for this wonderful thread!

It is close to 7 years our beloved Padmini was restored. The ownership experience post the restoration has been a great one. Except for minor mechanical works like brakes and tuning, the car has been running well.

Here are some pics of the Padmini over the past years post the restoration.

New MRF Nylon treaded tyres
Restoration of Arun's FIAT - '91 Premier Padmini 'Economy'-img_20180722_063717235_hdr.jpg

Gorgeous Economy!
Restoration of Arun's FIAT - '91 Premier Padmini 'Economy'-img_20180902_0747396964.jpg

Dad, posing along his loved Padmini
Restoration of Arun's FIAT - '91 Premier Padmini 'Economy'-img_20181207_205523595.jpg
arun1100 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 11:48   #87
BHPian

Fantastic restoration! The car looks factory fresh

I am searching for those half hub caps, apparent they are not readily available now.
autocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 14:31   #88
BHPian

Query: Restoration of 1991 Premier Padmini

Hi,

Any leads for restoration of a 1991 Premier Padmini?

Would really appreciate pictures from anyone who has restored their Padmini from that era recently.

Also, can anyone help with the procedure for getting a duplicate RC made in Haryana as the car is registered there?

Thanks!
Old 24th August 2020, 15:15   #89
Senior - BHPian

Re: Query: Restoration of 1991 Premier Padmini

Quote:
Originally Posted by avm2407 View Post
Hi,

Would really appreciate pictures from anyone who has restored their Padmini from that era recently.

Also, can anyone help with the procedure for getting a duplicate RC made in Haryana as the car is registered there?

Thanks!
You have an exact match here. Link - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...i-economy.html (Restoration of Arun's FIAT - '91 Premier Padmini 'Economy')

I would strongly encourage you to search the forum. Am sure you would get some useful leads and information. All the very best on your restoration.
Old 24th August 2020, 16:51   #90
BHPian

Re: Query: Restoration of 1991 Premier Padmini

Quote:
Originally Posted by avm2407 View Post
Hi,

Thanks!
Hi, I'm on the same boat as you, I posted my query in this thread (The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread). Please do check replies in that thread as we have almost similar questions. Also please post pictures of your car so that we can see how good or bad it is and what kind of work is needed to be done on your car. Here are two recently completely restored Premier padminis on our forum

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-progress.html (My very own Premier Padmini - Restoration in progress)
-
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...r-padmini.html (Restoration of my Premier Padmini)

However, I'm yet to find a good quality worker to carry on the restoration at reasonable prices.
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed