Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2013, 21:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: HVAC dust filter missing in your car too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
In fact in the Linea,i have a choice to use a paper type filter or a wire mesh one.
Who sells the paper type filter for Linea?

The scheduled 15000km service included a new wire mesh filter. I feel the paper filter will be far more effective. What is your take on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The Puntos and Lineas have a pollen filter for AC within the cabin before the cooling coil.
Is this location accessible? Does this part get renewed during scheduled service?
Old 24th October 2013, 22:06   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why do you change the filter so frequently? Is the area that you live and drive so dusty that clogs the filter?

Anurag.
The Car manufacturer recommends changing the cabin filter every 10,000 kms. I have seen that the AC effectiveness reduces after 5000 - 6000 kms when the filter is dusty. I have tried cleaning the filter but it doesnt help and at 350 bucks per filter, i dont mind changing the filter every 6000 kms ( which is every 6 months for me).
Old 24th October 2013, 22:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Who sells the paper type filter for Linea?

The scheduled 15000km service included a new wire mesh filter. I feel the paper filter will be far more effective. What is your take on this?

Is this location accessible? Does this part get renewed during scheduled service?
Sandeep, Fiat was selling cars with the Pollen paper filter only. In the interim for an year or so, it was replaced with an useless wiremesh type filter as spare to all FASS, this filter does nothing.

Now, the pollen filters are back. You can get them off any FASS or 99rpm.

It is very much accessible. There is a DIY video too on youtube by member of another Fiat dedicated forum.You have to remove the Blue&Me box to access it.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 23:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Who sells the paper type filter for Linea? The scheduled 15000km service included a new wire mesh filter. I feel the paper filter will be far more effective. What is your take on this? Is this location accessible? Does this part get renewed during scheduled service?
Paper filter was OEM till late 2011 but it used to get clogged easily and restricted air flow.
Fiat then switched to wire mesh filter,but recently paper one has been re introduced and now you can choose from either wire mesh or paper type.
Paper one is slightly expensive than mesh.And mesh filter can be re used again and again.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 14:38   #50
BANNED

The space for the Brio is moulded shut. Has no arrows either. However, size of 22cm suggests that in markets it is available it may be the same as in the City which is 22x22cm with a fixed front plate. This Accord & Civic are one type and City, Brio and ... may be the other.

Incidentally Honda prescribes 20000km in the City.
Attached Thumbnails
HVAC dust filter missing in your car too?-img_1398red.jpg  

Last edited by sgiitk : 25th October 2013 at 14:40.
Old 28th October 2013, 14:30   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cabin filter for Swift/Dzire/Ritz/Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Swift cabin filter installation
And for Maruti vehicles with no open-able filter compartment (Astar and probably Alto/Wagon R too) its possible to install a cabin filter by cutting the cover and making a rectangular opening.
Thanks Shankar for the detailed pics in link.

I own an Alto (2009 model) and was trying to fix a filter since past two years almost. However all the MASS I checked with had informed that the filter does not fit Alto or that filter is not available. In your Swift filter change link you had mentioned you got filter inserted for Alto also, can you please let know the dimension or any detail of the same.

Also, for Alto I have noticed that the rectangular marking which has to be cut open is not behind the glove box (and hence not required to open the box) but just above the foot well of front passenger with the AC air inlet pointed towards the left tyre/ Passenger door side. Could you please confirm this also.
Old 25th November 2013, 16:00   #52
BANNED

Got my Civic Filter on the 22nd from Toytoon2013 (same as Crazyloots) from eBay.in for Rs.2432 incl shipping. They took their own time to ship and even then were economical with the truth, they took extension till the 11th to ship, claim to have shipped on the 12th while DTDC shows 16th. Filter looks Ok, and I was first fooled by the dark grey bottom, until I realised it was the charcoal.

The FRAM CF10132 filter also fits the Toyota Lexus ES330, GX470, RX400H, Avalon, Camry, Sienna & Solara.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 13:07   #53
BHPian

I have today realized the similar fate with my car. The AC was not cooling enough so gave the car for AC service. The Hyundai A.S.S. guys have opened the whole dash to clean the dust accumulation on the coil. the filter is missing. The car in question is 2004 model Elantra GLS.

The guys at A.S.S. are least bothered about the filter and say that a new one is not available in listed parts. can I try some other car's/model's filter ?
Old 27th January 2014, 14:14   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittal_v2002 View Post
The guys at A.S.S. are least bothered about the filter and say that a new one is not available in listed parts. can I try some other car's/model's filter ?
Two things - check/measure the size and try and find it on the web.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 01:24   #55
BHPian

Quote:
I have today realized the similar fate with my car. The AC was not cooling enough so gave the car for AC service. The Hyundai A.S.S. guys have opened the whole dash to clean the dust accumulation on the coil. the filter is missing. The car in question is 2004 model Elantra GLS.

Hi all,

Since this is my field and I am an A/c technician and have been working on car a/c's since 1995, I thought it was apt that I shed some light on some basic car ac fundamentals and help folks rid themselves of some bad myths at the same time gaining basic know how as to what you should/ shouldn't do with the ac and also what to expect when.

Ok, being very specific will be too long so I'll be as brief and general as possible.

The worst myth I came across in this thread is that the cabin filter only affects the fresh air. WRONG!! The cabin filter and its placement is designed to completely filter ALL THE AIR that enters the evaporator coil for cooling. The idea is to completely filter out any air or any other possible contaminants/debris (i.e. pollen, etc) from entering the coil. The flap which alternates your choice of fresh or circulated air is always located before the filter so that in any case the air has to go through the cabin filter. The sequence in flow is: Fresh/circulated air > cabin filter > blower motor > evaporator coil. Hope that says it all.

Further, I would like to add that the importance given to ventilation across all applications of air-conditioning in India is unfortunately nil or almost non-existant. Even in cars, they only started showing up somewhere around 2003 or so. That too only in "premium" or costlier cars. Like for example it wasn't there in the Honda City type-1 or type-2 but came along since the dolphin model. You'll find it in a Swift/Ritz/Desire but not in an Alto/Wagon R, etc. Only "premium", remember?

Something to be seriously considered by the "cost" sensitive indian customer here is that even if you are not worried or are not very health concious enough to install a cabin filter, check this: without the filter, all the debris/dust/hair/leaves/smoke etc goes in and sticks directly on the evaporator or cooling coil and after about 6 months to 18 months depending on the type of area you live, you have to pay up anywhere from 3000 to 6000 bucks to get the whole dashboard, steering console, center console etc removed just to clean up that tiny evaporator resting behind it all. See, the a/c's which are of the filter types are not designed to have direct access to the evaporator as you was supposed to install a filter in the first place!In older cars the access was much better and easier with almost no need to touch the dash. So do the math, pay up 350-1100 bucks a year or 5 times as much plus get your dashboard abused repeatedly.

One more tip, using a cabin filter is not that bad as you can clean it with a blower/ pressurised air for upto two times and re-use before replacing with a new one provided the cleaning is done properly with the right air pressure in the direction opposite of air flow preferably by an a/c tech guy.

And yeah, most ASC guys will act ignorant about it simply because replacing an air filter is non-lucrative for them and they might not be able to even charge labour as its a 5 min job, but by avoiding it they ensure a fat labour-charge overhaul scenario with dash and all. The practice is so rampant that stockists dont even stock filters for most brands!

Hope this helps.

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th May 2017 at 16:52.
pixantz is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 13:32   #56
BHPian

Re: HVAC dust filter missing in your car too?

Hi pixantz,
This really helps.
I did spend Rs 3K on so called A/c cleaning for my Tata Marina few months ago by removing the dash etc.

Need your help in knowing whether there are filters for Tata Safari (Model 2004 TCIC) if you know please let me know the location of the filter.

Alternatively, Can I buy a small blower available in the market for About Rs 700, will it help if I use it from the inside of the car directing it towards A/c Vents to clear the dust.

Thanks a lot for your Tip.

Ananth
Old 28th January 2014, 17:07   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Hi all,

Since this is my field and I am an A/c technician and have been working on car a/c's since 1995, I thought it was apt that I shed some light on some basic car ac fundamentals and help folks rid themselves of some bad myths at the same time gaining basic know how as to what you should/ shouldn't do with the ac and also what to expect when.

And yeah, most ASC guys will act ignorant about it simply because replacing an air filter is non-lucrative for them and they might not be able to even charge labour as its a 5 min job, but by avoiding it they ensure a fat labour-charge overhaul scenario with dash and all. The practice is so rampant that stockists dont even stock filters for most brands!
Just got my Car AC fixed today.. total damage to wallet is 7K. The filter is still not installed. I asked the A.S.S guys about the spare list, it is listed as 3.8K for the Elantra filter and I have to order and wait 15 days for it to arrive...

Can I use any other car's filter in my Elantra ? 3.8K seems to much. I read somewhere on the thread, Honda City filter is around thousand bucks only.
Old 28th January 2014, 18:06   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3.8K seems to much. I read somewhere on the thread, Honda City filter is around thousand bucks only.
Yes, 3.8 K sounds bit high. I have read that Verna has a carbon filter which filters bad odor also (not sure of the effectiveness though). So I guess Elantra will also be having the same and that may be the reason for higher cost.

Compared to ~Rs.350 for Maruti filter it sounds high though.
Old 28th January 2014, 19:48   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Yes, 3.8 K sounds bit high. I have read that Verna has a carbon filter which filters bad odor also (not sure of the effectiveness though). So I guess Elantra will also be having the same and that may be the reason for higher cost.

Compared to ~Rs.350 for Maruti filter it sounds high though.
My car does have an ACC mode to clear the odour, may be that is carbon filter, however my car is 2004 model.. i will check in the manual once more tonight.. thanks for bringing the point.. this may be the reason for cost. but still too high for something that need occasional replacement.
Old 28th January 2014, 20:43   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Can I use any other car's filter in my Elantra ? 3.8K seems to much. I read somewhere on the thread, Honda City filter is around thousand bucks only.
Rs 3800 for the cabin filter

My Swift too has an ACC but the filter costs Rs. 350. I guess they are taking you for a ride. Can I know which model is your Elantra?

Check the below link for a rough idea:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/hyundai-elan...in-air-filters

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tomotive%2C444

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks