Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2016, 20:31   #121
BHPian

Re: Clutch judder & vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Mostly its a flywheel issue. i20 Diesel uses a dual mass flywheel.

Push for a clutch replacement under warranty
Thanks! Will visit Trident this weekend and ask them to check. Will post an update later.
Old 7th June 2018, 11:58   #122
BHPian

Hi Folks,

My 15K run Alto k10 judders for 2-3 seconds when I am about to halt with the clutch depressed. This is more pronounced with the AC on. After that mild vibrations can be felt. Can anyone throw some light on this? MASS suggested a clutch overhaul. A clutch overhaul at 15K seems very very early. Anyone experienced similar issue?

Regards,
Shreyan
shreyan_k10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 12:27   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyan_k10 View Post
Hi Folks,

My 15K run Alto k10 judders for 2-3 seconds when I am about to halt with the clutch depressed. This is more pronounced with the AC on. After that mild vibrations can be felt. Can anyone throw some light on this? MASS suggested a clutch overhaul. A clutch overhaul at 15K seems very very early. Anyone experienced similar issue?

Regards,
Shreyan
Coming to a halt means the revs would be falling. The k10 being a 3-cyl tends to vibrate more at idle RPM. This becomes more pronounced with AC on as the RPM fluctuates around the idle RPM range with compressor cut-off and on. I would suggest a look at the engine mounts.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 19:51   #124
Senior - BHPian

Cross-posting my query from official review thread. The car in question is a Swift Zxi (2nd gen pre-facelift) :

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Hello members,

I have been facing juddering issue while moving off in 1st gear in my 2014 Swift. This happens when the engine is cold and gets normal after driving for 1-1.5 kms. This juddering issue has been there since 10k kms or so but is kind of random and happens on and off.

I got the clutch inspected during 20k service but the mechanic didn't find anything wrong with the clutch. There was also a squeaking noise on pressing and releasing the clutch pedal which was solved (don't know how!) and some excess free play was also corrected.

Now 5000 kms after the service, the issue seems to have cropped up again. Juddering has become more pronounced and regular now when the engine is cold. The clutch starts making that squeaking noise after driving 30-40 kms continuously.

I don't see any difference in the way the car picks up revs and speed. Service centre's standard reply on any problem associated with the clutch is that the clutch has packed up and needs to be changed. The car has done around 24k kms and is driven mostly in city. But we are not hard on the clutch at any point which makes me think that 24k kms is too early for the clutch to need a replacement.

Apart from that, the driver side seat belt refuses to retract back on its own. Can it be fixed or replaced under warranty?

If anyone has faced these issues, please give your thoughts. Thanks.
Old 25th February 2019, 15:18   #125
Senior - BHPian

Car: Tata Zest QJD 90PS version.

Issues:
  • Vibration(whole car) while accelarating in 1200-1500rpm range, observed only in the second gear.
  • Gear rod vibration in other gears while accelerating in the above mentioned rpm range.
  • Notchy gear shifts which occasionally need more thrust to slot the gear.

History:
Car has covered 63k km's, with clutch plates,pressure plate and release bearing replaced recently at an FNG. Issue of vibration and notchy shifts still persists.

Suspecting a warped flywheel. But no apparent symptoms of excessive heat or burnt metal smell. Or could there a problem with the gearbox as well? Please give your valuable inputs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th February 2019, 17:00   #126
BHPian

I too am facing a similar issue with a 2012 i20. There is a judder and rpm increase while hard acceleration at times but this is not always. It is present at times mostly not.

Last time I reported this to the service center and asked them to check the entire clutch assembly. After the service they said the clutch is absolutely fine and that they just cleaned the O2 sensor (apparently) but there was no issue after that for many days surprisingly. They also said that if the issue comes up again then they will have to change the O2 sensor.

The odo stands at 65k kms and its a petrol. Planning to take it to an FNG to get a second opinion but any inputs from the experts here would help
Old 25th February 2019, 17:40   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Car: Tata Zest QJD 90PS version.

Issues:
  • Vibration(whole car) while accelarating in 1200-1500rpm range, observed only in the second gear.
  • Gear rod vibration in other gears while accelerating in the above mentioned rpm range.
  • Notchy gear shifts which occasionally need more thrust to slot the gear.
Did you notice symptoms 1 and 3 before you changed the clutch?

If no, I still suspect the clutch set up, based on symptom no.3
Old 25th February 2019, 17:56   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Did you notice symptoms 1 and 3 before you changed the clutch?

If no, I still suspect the clutch set up, based on symptom no.3
Yes. The clutch kit was replaced to address all the 3 issues mentioned previously and another being rock hard clutch, but unfortunately none of the issues mentioned above are resolved.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 25th February 2019 at 18:00.
Old 27th February 2019, 07:13   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe this thread will lead you to the issue

In your case, since you've added rock hard clutch, I would also suggest air bleeding the clutch hydraulic system and then see if it makes a difference.

The clutch is definitely not operating properly.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ata-manza.html (Weird clutch problem in Tata Manza)
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 15:44   #130
BHPian

Guys, what would be the ideal troubleshooting for -
Car vibrates only on first gear on cold engine pickup only. After couple of times or so, the issue doesn't crop up. And this vibration too isn't always - about 50% of cold engine first gear starts.
Car has run about 51K kms - servicing was done at 49K mark.
Clutch is stock.
I have not yet got a chance (and neither is the severity of the issue) to take it to FNG - because I know he would not be able to reproduce it in warmed up engine.
Old 20th February 2021, 22:47   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The clutch release bearing doesn't in any way affect the symptom mentioned on this thread because, clutch bearing works only when you depress the clutch. In other times, it doesn't even get in contact with any moving parts. The only time, you might need to think about replacing the bearing is when you hear a screeching sound when you depress the clutch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Clutch release bearings is required if shifting is notchy. The release bearing does job only during shifting.
I got my 2016 ciaz serviced day before yesterday. After the service, there has been a knocking sound coming from the engine bay only while releasing the clutch pedal. This sound is there even when the car is standing in neutral gear. Interestingly, if I release the clutch pedal very slowly, then this sound disappears. After switching off the car, there is absolutely no such sound while releasing the clutch.

The service advisor and mechanic, both are advising me to get the clutch overhaul done. They are blaming clutch release bearing for this sound. My total running till date is 20,000 kms and I'm having no problems in gear shifting.

It may be possible that this sound existed before the service, but now, it is much louder and is easily audible to even my mommy who is having a little hard hearing. (She is the one who told me about this sound when I was parking car in the garage.)

I request fellow BHPians to please help me out.

Regards
Anindya
Old 20th February 2021, 23:06   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anindya_Anni View Post

The service advisor and mechanic, both are advising me to get the clutch overhaul done. They are blaming clutch release bearing for this sound. My total running till date is 20,000 kms and I'm having no problems in gear shifting.

It may be possible that this sound existed before the service, but now, it is much louder and is easily audible to even my mommy who is having a little hard hearing. (She is the one who told me about this sound when I was parking car in the garage.)

I request fellow BHPians to please help me out.

Regards
Anindya
Sadly nothing more to be done. But maybe get a second opinion at FNG. If there was no such issue before you dropped for service, could have escalated. (Did the service advisor take a test drive any highlight any issue prior to service?)

These days you should keep an eye out for new issues after servicing, as you can never blindly trust service centers anymore.

Last edited by SideView : 20th February 2021 at 23:09.
Old 20th February 2021, 23:09   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Guys, what would be the ideal troubleshooting for -
Car vibrates only on first gear on cold engine pickup only. After couple of times or so, the issue doesn't crop up. And this vibration too isn't always - about 50% of cold engine first gear starts.
Car has run about 51K kms - servicing was done at 49K mark.
Clutch is stock.
I have not yet got a chance (and neither is the severity of the issue) to take it to FNG - because I know he would not be able to reproduce it in warmed up engine.
Try warming up the engine before moving, and see if the juddering / vibrations persist.
Old 20th February 2021, 23:12   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Try warming up the engine before moving, and see if the juddering / vibrations persist.
Issue has not surfaced again after normal servicing.
I almost forgot that I had posted this

FYI, what should be the ideal symptom for failing clutch ate? Loss of pickup ? Shudder ?
Old 21st February 2021, 01:29   #135
Senior - BHPian

Loss of pickup, hardness of the pedal, unusual noise ...

Symtoms could be any of these.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks