Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2012, 22:17   #1
BHPian

VW Vento HVAC issue

Since about 25 days the cooling of my car ac was insufficient. I attributed it to the esp hot May in Delhi and also to the so called lower cooling of German cars in general.
Then around 20 days ago the air flow from the center two air vents on the front stopped. The vents at the two ends of the dashboard were working fine and so was the rear air vent.
I called up my service advisor, Mr Parvinder ( a very very helpful fellow), at VW Motinagar, New Delhi (worldclass automobiles) and he informed me that the air distribution system must have conked off and asked me to bring in my car to the workshop.
I finally managed to visit the workshop on 29th may, without an appointment, and was told this is a very common problem with the climate controlled ventos. Some manual adjustment was done and the air flow miraculously reappeared. Also an order was placed by the dealership for a new air distribution system with vw and I was told that it will take 20 - 25 days for it to arrive and it will be changed under warranty.
The return home -- Bliss!!! along with the air flow which was back the cooling improved substantially and i felt chilly for the first time this summer in my car.
The same evening I received a mail from vw a screenshot of which I will try to attach.

Today I went to the dealership again for two unrelated issues which I shall raise in another thread- 1. my windshield developed a crack spontaneously ( the agency is replacing the windshield under warranty) and 2. One of the stock apollo tyres has developed a bump on the sidewall. ( advice sought on how to handle it. done 20000 kms)

While I was there I got a call from the dealership itself that the part ordered for my car had arrived and that I could get it installed on 15th.
On telling this to the SA he arranged for the same to be replaced in this visit itself.

Hope to get the car back on Saturday with a new windshield and a new distribution system for HVAC.

p.s. as for the tyre my SA advised me to visit the apollo facility in rohini where they will assess the tyre and advise me if it can be replaced under warranty. He said he can arrange for the inspection at the vw agency but then i will have to bring the car again at an appointed time whereas i can visit the apollo facility at rohini any time during working hours. he will give me the address when i pick up my car.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Vento HVAC issue-vw-mail.jpg  

Old 12th June 2012, 15:55   #2
BHPian

Re: VW Vento HVAC issue

Risham, Did you get your car back? Can you please update the status?
Old 12th June 2012, 16:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad to see your problem is being resolved by VW in a satisfactory manner.

On a aside note, you really didn't have to open a seperate thread - post the same on the VW Vento thread, you'll get faster & more reverts (if you need any help).
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 18:55   #4
BHPian

Hi. Was out of town for the whole of last week so couldn't update the status.
Got the car delivered back on Saturday (9th June) as promised. the hvac system and the windshield were changed. The total bill was 23000 odd rupees which was waived off completely under warranty.

For the tyre they raised the issue with apollo tyres. one of their guys called me and informed me that i will have to drop the tyre at their Jhandewalan office ( very close to my residence) and the next day they will either refuse the claim or issue a new tyre from the same office.
Plan to go tomorrow. will update what happens.
Old 24th June 2012, 17:07   #5
BHPian

Went to apollo tyres office. they said it was "impact damage" and hence not covered in warranty. Opened the tyre from the alloy wheel and there was a small cut ( a deep scratch-- not through and through cut) near the bump site on the inside of the tyre as the apollo guys said would be present.
Any suggestions??
Old 27th September 2013, 09:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risham View Post
Then around 20 days ago the air flow from the center two air vents on the front stopped. The vents at the two ends of the dashboard were working fine and so was the rear air vent.
Hello Risham, I am facing the same issue as above. The airflow through Center airvents have drastically reduced. Do you have an idea what was manual adjustment was done and where? I didnt want to take the car to dealership just for this. If it is something thats DIY, would prefer to get it done my self.

I have a non-OE ICE in my car, if i need to take it to dealership, i may have reverse the fitment back to original ICE to avoid any warranty hassles.
Old 21st October 2013, 00:31   #7

I have faced the Center Vent problem twice myself on the Vento TDI Highline. The first time was at about 13500 kms and then again at 27000 kms. It was changed under warranty. Now again since today morning, there is no flow from the Center Vent. I called up VW East Delhi Workshop and confirmed if they have the part in stock. Luckily, they said yes. Will send the car to the workshop on Wednesday for the Center Vent Replacement.

Strangely enough, happened twice to me. Definitely does not speak about German Engineering.

Overall, realiability issues seems to be gripping on my Vento, squarely - Engine driking 500 ml of Engine oil every 5000 kms, breaking seems to be under assisted, squeaking noises from the doors and 2 Center Vent Failures. God save me.

Will keep you updated about the Center Vent Replacement.
Old 23rd October 2013, 18:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_ZING View Post
Engine driking 500 ml of Engine oil every 5000 kms, breaking seems to be under assisted.
All diesel motors consume some amount of oil, was there a substantial visual difference in the dip stick readings ? In what interval do you check your oil levels.

I am sure you would not have overshot the oil change intervals? Confirm the oil texture once.
Old 24th October 2013, 00:20   #9

Folks.
Center Vent problem fixed by Volkswagen. Changed under warranty, so no expenses paid by me. The Workshop wanted to take 2 days to fix it. I insisted that it should be fixed in 1 day. So was fixed in a day. What's strange is that it has gone kaput twice @13500 kms and @27000 kms. Keeping fingers crossed that now it stays fine.

Cheers !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
All diesel motors consume some amount of oil, was there a substantial visual difference in the dip stick readings ? In what interval do you check your oil levels.

I am sure you would not have overshot the oil change intervals? Confirm the oil texture once.
I am changing oil at intervals of 13500 kms. I have to topup 500 ml of engine oil every 5000 kms. Volkswagen tells me this is completely normal. On the thought of it, its .1ml every 1 km. However, I have a Punto done 105000 kms, with the same Service interval as Vento, but I never top up the engine oil between 2 Services. Other Vento Owners, your feedback on Engine oil consumption in Vento ?
Old 24th October 2013, 17:10   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_ZING View Post
I am changing oil at intervals of 13500 kms. I have to topup 500 ml of engine oil every 5000 kms. Volkswagen tells me this is completely normal. On the thought of it, its .1ml every 1 km.
Oil change intervals still are well under company specified limits. But as part of initial analysis, what comes to mind is 1. checking signs of external leaks (opening engine guard and looking at drain plug for damage/ inspecting dip stick level when not driven the car for a while to see if level is maintained).
2. Checking for Blue Smoke in normal idle and when revved hard from exhaust pipe.
3. Can get a pollution check and see if te vehicle passes the emissions test. maybe the test can detect the by products of the burnt oil if at all applicable.
4. Other than this there are a host of rubber parts to seal the joints such as valve cover gasket, crankshaft seals, can get inspected them for any ruptures and replace as necessary.

There are many other critical components like Cat Con, O2 sensors that may get affected in the long run if overlooked.

I am sure VW India Service Department should be aware to do a quick check on what is needed to inspect and correct the issue at the earliest.

The 1.6 TDI engine is a sturdy unit, still better to get inspected for complete peace of mind.

Last edited by sriramr9 : 24th October 2013 at 17:22.
Old 10th February 2014, 12:30   #11
BHPian

Unfortunately, I have also encountered exactly similar issue on my Vento TDI which is a May 2012 model with 30,000 kms on odo. I have already informed SA about this and my visit is scheduled on coming saturday.

Quote:
Hope to get the car back on Saturday with a new windshield and a new distribution system for HVAC.
Is your car's HVAC working fine after this replacement?
Old 10th February 2014, 13:30   #12
BHPian

No.
In fact the HVAC failed twice after this replacement. The second time also the whole unit was changed. But the third time only a small motor was changed as this was the culprit all along and VW decided to cut costs.
At present the third motor has also failed. My SA told me that the part number for the motor has been changed wef january 2014. so i hope the new part numbered motors are redesigned to work better and fail less.
have to get it replaced. will do so with next service which is due in about 30 days. will update then.
Old 10th February 2014, 14:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
No.
In fact the HVAC failed twice after this replacement. The second time also the whole unit was changed. But the third time only a small motor was changed as this was the culprit all along and VW decided to cut costs.
At present the third motor has also failed. My SA told me that the part number for the motor has been changed wef january 2014. so i hope the new part numbered motors are redesigned to work better and fail less.
have to get it replaced. will do so with next service which is due in about 30 days. will update then.
This is shocking

I hope so too that the new motor has a better design and holds well under Indian conditions. So many replacements/failures clearly point out that quality control at VW is extremely poor. Now suddenly I am getting worried about the replaced engine/gear-box mounts as well (they were replaced on my Vento few days ago during second service).
Old 5th October 2019, 20:29   #14
BHPian

For a Vento diesel, how much would it cost to get the coil changed for AC leakage issue? Anybody here who got this done recently?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks