Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 12:13   #16
BANNED

Re: Honda Civic burning smell problem

I am wondering whether there is something to do with the iVTeC moving the cam to the high level profile, which also happens at around that rpm.
Old 4th July 2012, 12:22   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
In my case, Smell comes even after a few kilometers of sedate driving on flat roads.I am heading to service center shortly.Will post if the issue is fixed.
Whitefield Honda got their best mechanics to check the issue. They took the vehicle for a longish test drive and are convinced that nothing is amiss, that the smell is normal smell that emanates from a hot engine compartment.So it has been decided to relook at the issue during next service.I will continue to monitor for any apparent change in vehicle behaviour and report it back to them.

Thanks everyone for pitching in with their comments and suggestions.

Cheers.
Old 14th October 2012, 08:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Whitefield Honda got their best mechanics to check the issue. They took the vehicle for a longish test drive and are convinced that nothing is amiss, that the smell is normal smell that emanates from a hot engine compartment.

Cheers.
Hi Ramanak - Lately i have observed this hot kind of smell from my car [Octavia RS], my mates tell me i am over reacting and is normal, i am very keen to get your perspective on this, do you still get the smell when driving hard. My symptoms are very similar to yours, i get no smell when driven sedately and i get a burning smell after exceeding 3.5K.

Thanks - ML

Last edited by Motoringlover : 14th October 2012 at 08:12. Reason: Grammar out of text.
Old 16th October 2012, 09:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Hi Ramanak - Lately i have observed this hot kind of smell from my car [Octavia RS], my mates tell me i am over reacting and is normal, i am very keen to get your perspective on this, do you still get the smell when driving hard. My symptoms are very similar to yours, i get no smell when driven sedately and i get a burning smell after exceeding 3.5K.

Thanks - ML
The smell is gone now after I got the Auto Transmission oil changed at 50 K Kms, 10000 Km before the scheduled change.Not sure whether this is what fixed the issue though.
ramanak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 08:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
The smell is gone now after I got the Auto Transmission oil changed at 50 K Kms, 10000 Km before the scheduled change.Not sure whether this is what fixed the issue though.
Have run for 7000 Kms after the AT Oil change,Had done a Bangalore -Raipur trip recently.There is no smell in the engine bay,there were no problems during the trip.
Old 10th May 2013, 13:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Have run for 7000 Kms after the AT Oil change,Had done a Bangalore -Raipur trip recently.There is no smell in the engine bay,there were no problems during the trip.

Hi, I was facing a similiar issue with my honda city vtec. At speeds over 140kms the burning smell was coming inside the cabin. During the service at Dakshin honda Hosur road, they replaced the auto transmission oil and now the smell has gone.
Old 10th May 2013, 14:19   #22
BHPian

My civic AT has just returned from service. I insisted on an AT oil change this time. The vehicle seems much smoother especially the gear shifts and also the pickup has improved. Once touched 3.5k rpm and there was no smell. Waiting to take it on an open road and drive past 4000 rpm to double check if the smell is completely gone.
Old 6th September 2013, 10:55   #23
BHPian

Finally had to do the customary replacement for every 5 year old Civic. Power steering system and evaporator (cooling coil) for 1.4 lakh. Since I was planning to have the car for at least two more years, I decided to go ahead with these works. I consulted with a few other civic owners also after the service advisor insisted me to do so and found that more than two of them had done these two replacements at between 4 to 6 years of age. So I had to just accept that this was the case. The power steering system was changed in July. The evaporator was changed in August. Now the vehicle is a lot quieter. Revs up to 3.5k rpm hasn't brought that burning smell. Didn't get the chance to rev above that in the city till now. Going to take the car to Bangalore this long weekend. Will definitely be revving up more than 4k rpm on the krishnagiri to hosur ghat section. Will keep the thread updated with my experience.
Old 6th September 2013, 11:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
Finally had to do the customary replacement for every 5 year old Civic. Power steering system and evaporator (cooling coil) for 1.4 lakh. Since I was planning to have the car for at least two more years, I decided to go ahead with these works. I consulted with a few other civic owners also after the service advisor insisted me to do so and found that more than two of them had done these two replacements at between 4 to 6 years of age. So I had to just accept that this was the case. The power steering system was changed in July. The evaporator was changed in August. Now the vehicle is a lot quieter. Revs up to 3.5k rpm hasn't brought that burning smell. Didn't get the chance to rev above that in the city till now. Going to take the car to Bangalore this long weekend. Will definitely be revving up more than 4k rpm on the krishnagiri to hosur ghat section. Will keep the thread updated with my experience.
Can you post the cost break up
1.4L seems Too much for power steering and cooling coil replacement.
Old 6th September 2013, 12:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Finally had to do the customary replacement for every 5 year old Civic. Power steering system and evaporator (cooling coil) for 1.4 lakh.
What did you mean by 'customary replacement' ?
Did you have any problems with the Power-Steering and AC or is it just a type of routine-maintenance?
(and 1.4 lakh seems excessive?)

My 6 years 3 month old Civic has never had such problems so far.
Old 6th September 2013, 12:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally had to do the customary replacement for every 5 year old Civic. Power steering system and evaporator (cooling coil) for 1.4 lakh. Since I was planning to have the car for at least two more years, I decided to go ahead with these works. I consulted with a few other civic owners also after the service advisor insisted me to do so and found that more than two of them had done these two replacements at between 4 to 6 years of age. So I had to just accept that this was the case.
What loads of baloney!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Did you have any problems with the Power-Steering and AC or is it just a type of routine-maintenance?

Exactly, what is this customary replacement?
Honda Civic has some issue in its steering that crops up later in life?
Then this calls for a massive recall of all the Civics sold in the country ... (and at no cost to the buyer).

Were you told beforehand while purchasing that Honda Civic requires steering system and AC evaporator replacement within 5 years???
Old 10th September 2013, 14:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Can you post the cost break up
1.4L seems Too much for power steering and cooling coil replacement.
First the Power Steering system:
Labour charge for replacement - 3550.58
Power Steering Box Complete - 48154.1
Set Rack End Complete - 7746.54
End Comp Tie Rod R - 1900
End Comp Tie Rod L - 1900
Washer Tie Rod - 75.57
Dust Seal Tie Rod HS - 562.22
Dust Seal Tie Rod CY - 468.88
Clip Strg Tie Rod - 165.22
Band Bellows - 447.86
Honda P/stg oil - 434.08
3M- choke & carb cleaner - 173.98
Clip Bpr A - 266.56
Wheel Alignment - 550.56

Then the power steering hose:
Charges for replacement: 887.64
Hose Complete Power Steering - 10539.84

Then the power steering pump:
Pump Sub Assy. P/S : 32551.78

Grand Total of P/S system service in July 2013: 1,11,263/=

The Cooling Coil Replacement episode follows:

General repair: 2921.36
Compressor Oil: 420.79
R-134A A/c gas: 673.26
Evaporator Comp: 21866.81
Blade rubber: (Wiper) 551.10
Blade rubber: (Wiper) 412.58
Charges for replacement: 88.76

Grand total of cooling coil service in August 2013: 27,822/=

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post

You have been lucky. I hear 50% of the 5+ year old Civics have this problem. When I asked the service advisor during the cooling coil replacement why is something or the other cropping up every month, he assured me, in Civic these two are the only major post warranty replacements which happens around 5 years, you need not spend on anything other than preventive maintenance hereafter for the next few years.
Old 25th September 2013, 17:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have been lucky. I hear 50% of the 5+ year old Civics have this problem. When I asked the service advisor during the cooling coil replacement why is something or the other cropping up every month, he assured me, in Civic these two are the only major post warranty replacements which happens around 5 years, you need not spend on anything other than preventive maintenance hereafter for the next few years.
Doesn't this make a potential candidate for Honda Civic recall (if it is true) ?
Old 18th November 2013, 22:11   #29
BHPian

Seems like it should be. But we need a good number of cases to fight. If anybody having a 5+ year old civic confirms in this thread! we can take it forward.
Old 18th November 2013, 22:55   #30
Team-BHP Support

You must be joking! PS failure that it warrants whole assembly with hose replacement? I think you have been taken for a royal Honda ride. Even if the system fails it will be just one of the components, even if they replace the parent part for that (an assembly) it needn't be the whole assembly/system!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks