Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2012, 15:54   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: STANADYNE Diesel Fuel Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Diesel quality matters but the CRDI's with precision injection and all the sensors and ECU control are quite sensitive to any fluctuations in the diesel quality and adulteration/ water retention by diesel etc.
The Benz has been our regular highway steed for 7+ years now, and it's been filled up at unknown pumps in Goa, Mahabaleshwar, Deolali and more. At 80,000 kms, the car is still ticking away healthy

Yes, I did exercise due caution in choosing a pump that served (atleast, I hope) unadulterated diesel. Strictly no additives though.

Note : Unlike the body, the rest of the Benz isn't necessarily robust. But I haven't had a single issue related to filling up with regular diesel yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
GTO, at least for us tata Indica/indigo owners, System D is a tata recommended additive
Hey, I was an Indigo owner till Jan 2012 and used only pure diesel (without additive). Can you explain the exact difference you felt after using System D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
What do the Car Manufacturers have to say about these in general?
Most car manufacturers ban any kind of fuel additive, especially for diesel engines.

Quote:
I have requested the mods to branchoff to an appropriate thread
I don't think it's off-topic yet. We are simply discussing the pros & cons of an additive on an additive thread

I still remain a non-believer. All the problems that this product claims to solve have NEVER been experienced by me in 500,000 kms of diesel engine experience. So, what's in it for me? Would I take a cough syrup even when I haven't had a cough in 5 years?

Last edited by GTO : 22nd June 2012 at 15:58.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 17:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So, what's in it for me? Would I take a cough syrup even when I haven't had a cough in 5 years?
Thats a choice one has to make, wait till cough catches on or take a preventive cough medicine because nobody can predict if you will or will not catch cough.

OT was from the perspective that this is not a generic additive thread discussion and could have been discussed in a generic thread(I shared) but anyway its a mod's decision so respect that.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 17:59   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Engine has definitely been smoother. Noticeable on the TDI /TCIC's.
The TDCi Ikon has not shown a visible/audible difference like the Tata's, though.

My Best ever FE on the Sumo was also with an additive - almost 14kmpl on highway. I was using Elf's EMDFA, with Reliance diesel. I currently get only about 12 with IOC & no additive

Last edited by condor : 22nd June 2012 at 18:00.
Old 26th June 2012, 11:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Done 100kms on it. Improvement seen after 50kms

- Engine's definitely smoother with consistent RPM
- Peppier pickup, Throttle response like never before
- No smoke on throttling(visibly)
Old 26th June 2012, 12:44   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats a choice one has to make, wait till cough catches on or take a preventive cough medicine because nobody can predict if you will or will not catch cough.
My family and I follow some good advice from my paternal Uncle who is a surgeon - self medication is not a good thing, even if treated as prophylactics. Needless expense and the risk that the medicines could have unintended consequences. All this boils down to 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'

HOWEVER:

Quote:
That's good feedback and something that some diesel powered vehicle owners may be interested in. Also, what do you mean by consistent RPM? Is it at idle? No smoke is a good change as well..my bro's Safari spewed black smoke like a railway steam loco when accelerating hard.

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th June 2012 at 12:46.
Old 26th June 2012, 14:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
That's good feedback and something that some diesel powered vehicle owners may be interested in. Also, what do you mean by consistent RPM? Is it at idle? No smoke is a good change as well..my bro's Safari spewed black smoke like a railway steam loco when accelerating hard.
Its difficult to explain, its like the engine noise is consistent/smooth at idle. Dont know if thats a good definition.

Safari's dont smoke that much but yes I could see almost no visible smoke on throttling as almost all diesel engine smoke a bit upon throttling.

Also another noticable difference was shorter cranking while startups.
Old 26th June 2012, 15:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

@dadu,

What is the ratio you have used?
Old 26th June 2012, 17:35   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its difficult to explain, its like the engine noise is consistent/smooth at idle. Dont know if thats a good definition.

Safari's dont smoke that much but yes I could see almost no visible smoke on throttling as almost all diesel engine smoke a bit upon throttling.

Also another noticable difference was shorter cranking while startups.
Yes any diesel will smoke when pushed hard. However, my bro's safari was a 2002 model and the engine though capable of clocking some serious mileage and long lived wasn't very good - even though it was a diesel it consumed more than its expected of engine oil, spewed smoke and leaked oil thru the sump and the cam shaft cover as well. The pick up? It picked up like a passenger train. But once she was @ 70-80 kmph it was, well, like a proper diesel locomotive - unstoppable! Though it had all the normal Tata QA niggles that I positively hate experiencing - I loved that Safari and travelling in it.

I am sure Tata has made many changes to the vehicle including adding the DICOR mill. All of which should have made the engine better in terms of performance, smoothness, mileage etc.

dadu it would be interesting to know the benefits (or lack of them), issues etc over the medium to long term plus the overall cost.

I am sure some oil burner owners will keep a close eye on this thread.
Old 26th June 2012, 17:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
@dadu,

What is the ratio you have used?
2ml/ltr

@R2D2, will post after a tankful use.
Old 27th June 2012, 16:55   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
The TDCi Ikon has not shown a visible/audible difference like the Tata's, though.

My Best ever FE on the Sumo was also with an additive - almost 14kmpl on highway. I was using Elf's EMDFA, with Reliance diesel. I currently get only about 12 with IOC & no additive
Condor, where is this additive available in Bangalore?
Old 27th June 2012, 18:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Condor, where is this additive available in Bangalore?
There are two dealers. Check the service dealer link in the 1st post.
Old 6th July 2012, 21:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hey, I was an Indigo owner till Jan 2012 and used only pure diesel (without additive). Can you explain the exact difference you felt after using System D?
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
thats pretty much it. without it, the engine feels like a tractor. with it, its similar to the feeling you have immediately after an oil change

of course, if you dont feel a difference, I wouldnt recommend using it.
Old 15th July 2012, 19:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

Tanks up and got 1.5 kmpl extra mileage with SPF i.e. with the extra benefits I quoted below & purely on a price point(based on extra KM's run) I am paying Rs10 for this additive.

Quote:
Another thing I noticed is that I am downshifting the Gears much lesser(specially from 3rd & 4th), the engine is able to pick up momentum at higher gears itself.
Old 15th July 2012, 20:20   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tanks up and got 1.5 kmpl extra mileage with SPF i.e. with the extra benefits I quoted below & purely on a price point(based on extra KM's run) I am paying Rs10 for this additive.

Another thing I noticed is that I am downshifting the Gears much lesser(specially from 3rd & 4th), the engine is able to pick up momentum at higher gears itself.
Assuming you have used both systemD and this, which one would you rate as better in the mentioned parameters?
Old 15th July 2012, 21:47   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Assuming you have used both systemD and this, which one would you rate as better in the mentioned parameters?
Yes, have used System D and now this. System D does not even talk about many areas which are covered by SPF for improving diesel performance.

SPF is definitely better, no doubt.

Most Viewed