Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2012, 22:12   #46
BHPian

Re: STANADYNE Diesel Fuel Additives

Atleast with System D i have found remarkable improvement in perceivable engine smoothness in Tata Safari.
1)Engine sounds smoother in idle
2)Lesser vibrations and overall smoothness during acceleration

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 15th July 2012 at 22:14.
Old 15th July 2012, 22:35   #47
BHPian

Called up the Stanadyne Kolkata Service centre a few days ago, they didn't even hear about the fuel additive :( .
Old 16th July 2012, 08:51   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Tanks up and got 1.5 kmpl extra mileage with SPF i.e. with the extra benefits I quoted below & purely on a price point(based on extra KM's run) I am paying Rs10 for this additive.
I made a error in my calculations by taking the cost of a whole bottle against the tank used.

A bottle of SPF treats 117 ltrs of diesel and therefore the mileage efficiencies gained not only pays for the bottle used but for the next bottle too and leaves a few Rs in the pocket.

My statement stands corrected, Not paying anything from my pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheelburnin View Post
Atleast with System D i have found remarkable improvement in perceivable engine smoothness in Tata Safari.
1)Engine sounds smoother in idle
2)Lesser vibrations and overall smoothness during acceleration
SPF is better in the above improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Called up the Stanadyne Kolkata Service centre a few days ago, they didn't even hear about the fuel additive :( .
Might be due to the tax implications in West Bengal.

Call/Send a mail to their mfg unit in Chennai, if you take an excel dump from the link, you have the details in it OR ask one of your friends to buy from the nearest available location and carry.
Old 30th August 2012, 11:35   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I am very skeptical about additives and even the 3M Salesman could not sell any to me. I am also worried about the damage they may cause rather than fix something that ain't broken.
What do the Car Manufacturers have to say about these in general?
Don't know about other manufacturers but in the owners manual of Tata Safari few additives are recommended as cure of certain symptoms.
System D for two tankful or System D extra / Bardhal every 10000 Km are among them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Hey, I was an Indigo owner till Jan 2012 and used only pure diesel (without additive). Can you explain the exact difference you felt after using System D?
In Safari 2.2 Dicor I observed the following.

1. There was little clutter and idle RPM variation after filling Diesel from a middle of nowhere pump on highway immediately added System D and it became smooth after 2 tankful no further RPM fluctuations exactly as mentioned in owners manual.

In a similar situation 2 years back where Kerosene laced diesel was filled near to Madurai and I drove to Bangalore the injuctor had to be changed but thankfully vehicle was underwarranty.

2. In general during city driving with System D engine feels smooth , I do not use it regularly but once in a while but keep a bottle of System D for occasions like in (1)
Old 30th August 2012, 11:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I have found a Dealer very near to my office premises.

Madras Power Corporation
Phone: 96771 56010
Email: madraspowercorporation@yahoo.com
No. 15, NSC Bose Nagar, Diamond Street, Pothapeda, Porur
Chennai, Tamilnadu 600 116 India

I'll check with them and post the update soon.
I just spoke to the dealer and they don't have stock right now and assure to give a call once it's available.
The cost is Rs. 500 for 8oz Stanadyne Performance Formula.
Treatment (1:500) - 120 L.
I don't know whether it is worthy to buy but i planned to give a try.
Old 30th August 2012, 12:26   #51
BHPian

Agree with the Naysayers here,

An additive might provide short term benefits like improvement of cetane number, water de-emulsification etc, increase in pour point etc. However most additives are not tested over long term on a vehicle and thus the detrimental effects have not documented. It is very easy to formulate such an additive that will give you above benefits, and it is also very easy to be swayed by slick marketing, especially American style, but there is no gaurantee how car will end up after long term use. Most common detrimental effects is in poisoning of the Platinum Catalyst in your Catalytic converter, and degradation of proprietary rubber, neoprene and graphite parts.

If the additives are so good all OEMs should have endorsed them. Your stock Diesel in India comes with Minimum 51 Cetane Number, which is same as what you get in EU and more than what you get in US. Stock BSIII & BSIV Diesel also has "Keep Clean" dose of detergent, A friction modifier, and An anti foaming agent. During winters Higher pour point Diesel is supplied across India.

Refer my earlier post on additives at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...es-thread.html

Safe motoring.
SR71A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 13:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71A View Post
If the additives are so good all OEMs should have endorsed them. Your stock Diesel in India comes with Minimum 51 Cetane Number, which is same as what you get in EU and more than what you get in US. Stock BSIII & BSIV Diesel also has "Keep Clean" dose of detergent, A friction modifier, and An anti foaming agent. During winters Higher pour point Diesel is supplied across India.

Refer my earlier post on additives at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...es-thread.html

Safe motoring.
Agree on most parts but in US and EU they do not sell fuel adultrated with kerosene and naptha , As per my personal experience I found System D useful in adultrated fuel scenario and I assume manufacturers might have tested before writing in owners manual ( TML and also GM India used to recommend)

Also as you are in an Oil Company I would like to ask what should be the color of pure Diesel ? I observed it ranges from pale yellowish to bluish green. I think the pale blue/green diesel might be adultrated with subsidised Kerosene is it a correct assumption ?

Yesterday I saw a taxi driver taking Diesel in a PET bottle from an HP pump and it appeared blue seeing this I skipped the queue and went to another Coco pump 10KM away.
Old 30th August 2012, 13:44   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Agree on most parts but in US and EU they do not sell fuel adultrated with kerosene and naptha , As per my personal experience I found System D useful in adultrated fuel scenario and I assume manufacturers might have tested before writing in owners manual ( TML and also GM India used to recommend)

Also as you are in an Oil Company I would like to ask what should be the color of pure Diesel ? I observed it ranges from pale yellowish to bluish green. I think the pale blue/green diesel might be adultrated with subsidised Kerosene is it a correct assumption ?

Yesterday I saw a taxi driver taking Diesel in a PET bottle from an HP pump and it appeared blue seeing this I skipped the queue and went to another Coco pump 10KM away.
Agreed, that some manufacturers do recommend additives as initially they were not sure about quality of fuels available in India, however the need for such additives is significantly reduced with Euro III & IV quality fuels. Yes if you live in an area where Fuel quality is an issue then plain detergent additives like system D should help.

Kerosene even though is considered as an adulterant is generally a much superior fuel compared to diesel. So Pure kerosene going into Diesel is not a big issue at all. Problem comes when it goes into Petrol, and that is where it generally goes (as you make almost 30 Rs More/ Ltr if you add it to Petrol), where it hinders combustion.

Naphtha also is never used as an adulterant in Diesel as it is costlier than Diesel, sometimes it finds its way in Petrol, where it drastically cuts down the Octane number. Naphtha incidentally is also a base stock for formulating petrol.

Most common adulterants for Diesel are the solvents, Benzene, Toulene, Mineral Turpentine oil etc, which initially burn cleanly but severely gum the parts with prolonged use. Another less common adulterant was Light Diesel Oil, which is not used these days as it is costlier than Diesel.

Colour of Diesel varies as per the crude being processed and can be from water clear to straw yellow, which can appear slightly blue due to refraction. Abroad they add a dye to mask the colour variation and produce a standard colour. Here we do not do that.

Policing for adulteration is quite strict these days and most city pumps give good fuel. They mostly cheat on measurement.

Hope the above is to your satisfaction.
SR71A is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 18:28   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Engine has definitely been smoother. Noticeable on the TDI /TCIC's.
The TDCi Ikon has not shown a visible/audible difference like the Tata's, though.

My Best ever FE on the Sumo was also with an additive - almost 14kmpl on highway. I was using Elf's EMDFA, with Reliance diesel. I currently get only about 12 with IOC & no additive

Hi Condor

I own a TDCI Ikon and I was suggested by a fellow T-BHPian for a System -D and throttle cleanup for my IKON instead of decarbonizing as I feel the performance reduced after running 60000 Kms. I feel the low power and high engine reviving at high RPM(above 2.5-3 K)

So you mean in IKON System-D doesn't made any visible difference?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...on-engine.html

Please suggest.
Old 30th October 2012, 22:41   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

@BinFord, in a way, I cant say if it has helped. With both my vehicles, I have been using System-D for a long time, and the engines have been steady with no noticeable degradataion in performance. While the Ikon is newer at just 36k, the Sumo has now clocked 75k.

But if you really want to test the efficacy of the additive, you will need to use it on a vehicle that has been used without any additives for a very long time - and then see the difference after using the additive for the recommended period.

What I would suggest for you is:
1. Start using Sys-D
2. Ford recommends that we run the engine at 3k rpm, for 30 seconds, once a week or so. This is mentioned in the owner's manual also.

I would suggest you do this - may be once every alternate day for about 2 weeks, and then see if both these steps have helped. ( For #2 above, I just downshift during my running. If I am doing 60 in 4th, I just move down to 3rd & retain the speed at 60 such that the engine is doing 3k rpm).
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 15:25   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@BinFord, in a way, I cant say if it has helped. With both my vehicles, I have been using System-D for a long time, and the engines have been steady with no noticeable degradataion in performance. While the Ikon is newer at just 36k, the Sumo has now clocked 75k.

But if you really want to test the efficacy of the additive, you will need to use it on a vehicle that has been used without any additives for a very long time - and then see the difference after using the additive for the recommended period.

What I would suggest for you is:
1. Start using Sys-D
2. Ford recommends that we run the engine at 3k rpm, for 30 seconds, once a week or so. This is mentioned in the owner's manual also.

I would suggest you do this - may be once every alternate day for about 2 weeks, and then see if both these steps have helped. ( For #2 above, I just downshift during my running. If I am doing 60 in 4th, I just move down to 3rd & retain the speed at 60 such that the engine is doing 3k rpm).
Thanks a lot Condor, I will try this out. Never used any additive yet. By the way can you suggest me where in Trivandrum, Kerala we can avail the System-D? Does Ford A.S.S will sell this?
Old 31st October 2012, 16:11   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinFord View Post
By the way can you suggest me where in Trivandrum, Kerala we can avail the System-D? Does Ford A.S.S will sell this?
Check at Ford A.S.S, or Tata A.S.S. Also check in this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...es-thread.html

Some fuel bunks may also have it - typically BP & IOC.

Btw, the revving has at least once helped the Ikon clear emission tests.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 11:57   #58
BHPian

I have been using System D in my Fiat Punto Multijet but I really can't say it's made any difference. I picked up some Stanadyne today and hoping this works better.

I'd like to hear from others if Stanadyne is working well for you.
Attached Thumbnails
STANADYNE Diesel Fuel Additives-20140701-11.11.46.jpg  

Old 26th October 2014, 21:28   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I have been using System D in my Fiat Punto Multijet but I really can't say it's made any difference. I picked up some Stanadyne today and hoping this works better.

I'd like to hear from others if Stanadyne is working well for you.
can you please update on this? Did you use it? if yes please share your observations.
Old 1st October 2015, 20:50   #60
BHPian

Sorry to go a bit

But I've just received my Audi Q3 back from service.
They have given me this multi-purpose additive for diesel fuel.

How do I use it ?
Should i use it every time I refuel ?
Does it reduce emissions ?

Please advice.

Thanking you
Regards
Attached Thumbnails
STANADYNE Diesel Fuel Additives-144371268342557319415.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks