Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice for simple oil change when car is out of warranty/old?
Service at a A.S.S. 60 23.90%
Service at independent garage 37 14.74%
PIY: Purchase it (oil+filter) Yourself + Trusted Garage for labour 132 52.59%
Full DIY: Purchasing & changing oil yourself 42 16.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2013, 20:08   #46
BHPian

Re: Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY

Not sure if this is the right thread - but could someone point me to trusted outlets where i could buy bike engine oil. Iam looking at brands like Motul 3000 4T plus 20w40, Gulf Pride 4T Plus 20W40, 20w40 Yamalube SL.
Are there any good websites where we can buy engine oils?

Last edited by WindRide : 15th January 2013 at 20:11.
Old 16th January 2013, 18:13   #47
BHPian

I always do a DIY. For the last 2 changes i have been using mobil super 10-w30 and a purolator filter. Total cost is around 1k. Labour - Free.
Old 16th January 2013, 18:37   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread - but could someone point me to trusted outlets where i could buy bike engine oil. Iam looking at brands like Motul 3000 4T plus 20w40, Gulf Pride 4T Plus 20W40, 20w40 Yamalube SL.
Are there any good websites where we can buy engine oils?

If you live somewhere near Rajajinagar 1st block then i know a store RSS oils.He sells genuine oils at compitative prices
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 02:59   #49
BHPian

Changed the engine oil and oil filter of our 1997 PPL (PAL Peugeot Limited) Viceroy (118 NE) last week. It was a Full DIY as usual. Had to go out for some work, so took the car instead of the bike. It was driven in city traffic for 15 kms. This ensured that the engine was at the normal running temperature.

Came home and drained the engine oil immediately. Removed the oil filter using the oil filter wrench and left the car for 2 hours. Then poured the drained engine oil in an old engine oil box.

Placed the empty container back under the drain hole and blowed air (using a blower) in the oil filler hole on the tappet cover. You will be surprised to see the additional oil that comes out!

Cleaned the drain plug and fixed it back. Cleaned the area where the oil filter is fixed. Fixed the new oil filter. This was done by hand NOT the oil filter wrench. Poured in the new engine oil and the car was back in action! Went for a drive (100 km) the next day along with family!

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.

New Engine Oil

Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY-a1.jpg

New Oil Filter

Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY-a2.jpg

Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY-a3.jpg

A cut soft drink bottle serves as a funnel to pour in the new oil. We do have a regular funnel but it takes time to fill the oil as the hole of the funnel is small.

Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY-a4.jpg

This was the additional oil that came out after blowing air into the oil filler hole on the tappet cover. This oil appeared to be thicker. Could be due to the engine being cold at the time.

Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY-a5.jpg

The oil filter wrench used to remove the old oil filter.

While fitting the new oil filter, it needs to tightened by hand and NOT the oil filter wrench.
Please do check the instructions printed on the oil filter and/or the car's user manual.

Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY-a6.jpg

Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY-a7.jpg

Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY-a8.jpg

Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY-a9.jpg
Scarlet_Rider is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 08:47   #50
Senior - BHPian

It is better to learn things from a FNG guy. As apart from oil service, a good look at the various components is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
Labour - Free.
No, labour is not free for me. A few band-aids are charged!
Old 13th May 2013, 19:48   #51
BHPian

HONDA/ Honda Dealership callous attitude..

One of my friend owning Honda City wants to switch from mineral to synthetic after 16K. Before changing, he approached Honda dealership and the service center clearly refused to accept any oil bought from outside. While the issue was brought to Honda customer care in India, they also clearly indicated that one has to use oil supplied by Honda (either mineral or synthetic) and any external oil, irrespective of the brand is not tested by Honda and will void the warranty of the car. My friend wants to change to synthetic Mobil 1 or Shell Helix - bought from outside and given it to Honda during regular service. In a nutshell, the approach of Honda is highly monopolistic and my friend wants to know if anyone has faced similar issues with Honda in the past and how it was dealt. Will you please also recommend the grade of synthetic oil (Mobil or Shell) suits fine for the City?

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2013 at 13:43. Reason: Do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC) when referring to cars. Full MAKE + MODEL only please
Old 13th May 2013, 20:19   #52
BHPian

Re: HONDA/ Honda Dealership callous attitude..

You should let Honda fill their oil. Take the car after service, drain all the oil and put your friend's favourite oil into the vehicle. Use the drained fresh oil on his other car(s) or 2 wheeler(s), or just discard. I know discarding is a waste but you can't change certain things about your car during warranty and the dealer/Honda behaviour is not unknown to us from countless other tales from other brands.
Old 13th May 2013, 20:23   #53
BANNED

I too have seen such attitude here with the Honda dealer.
They have a big drum filled with the Engine oil and just fill that up. My Dad asked them about the Brand, specifications etc. about it, the mechanic just responded saying, you don't need them, only this oil is compatible with your car and we can top it up /replace it when you get the car serviced.

The car was 2005 Honda City(NHC)
Old 14th May 2013, 10:02   #54
BHPian

I have a different take on this. Engine oils are not to be taken lightly and the life of the engine depends on it. Sure, Honda should recommend a few brands and grade outside their own oil and give the customer a choice. But if they don't, I would not go out and get a oil of my choice. In any case, the synthetic oil that Honda puts in the 2012 City is about Rs. 2600 and is cheaper than both Mobil 1 and Shell Helix for the same amount, as far as I know. With this oil the Honda engines indeed do run very very smoothly - and that's the whole purpose, isn't it? The engine is not the place to experiment.
asitkde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 10:05   #55
BANNED

Rubbish. I had used Mobil 1 in my Civic with no problems. Jut made a note on the job sheet that Mobil 1 API SM Synth has been supplied by me. The User handbook lists the viscosity / grade and as long as you match or do better there should be no issues. Incidentally Honda uses Idemitsu/Savita oils. I have not supplied my own oil since since the Idemitsu 0-30 synth from Honda is quite a bit cheaper than Mobil1.
Old 14th May 2013, 10:07   #56
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm, if we try looking at it from Hondas perspective : If the oil, or any part for that matter, you bring is spurious and damages the engine - then who is responsible for honouring the warranty ?

Edit : Maybe a note in the CRM saying that customer got his own oil so related damages not covered ? Will we accept that ?

Last edited by Eddy : 14th May 2013 at 10:08.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 13:18   #57
BHPian

I feel Honda has a point. Engine oils are not just oils, they are the bread and butter for your engine. I trust that you might have got it from a reliable store but that is not enough.

Ultimately, you can get the oil replaced from A** and then next replacement you can do from outside. Big Deal. if they are saying your warranty will void, better stick to what they say unless it's really unreasonable.

Thanks!
Old 14th May 2013, 14:01   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been taking my own engine oil- Castrol Magnatec bought from a Castrol dealer/ distributor from the last many years. In fact, only once, the first time I went with Servo supplied by MASS (in a 3 or 4 ltr white pack) during the first service. Since then, I have been buying oils from outside as MASS does not stocks Castrol Magnatec for cost reasons. Also, these guys (I am strictly talking about the MASS where I take my car, which is also an MSM) have never resisted/ objected about filing another oil and they do it happily...even when the car was under the warranty and they never made any special note of it (except for the labour-only billing proving that I brought my own oil).

However, I went to another MASS once with a friend of mine who drives an Estilo, they had those big drums of engine oil. IIRC, it was Servo, if the stuff inside was really what was labelled. They just measured the loose oil from the drum in a jug/ funnel and poured it in the engine. They also did not let us go close to the car where it was actually serviced. I thanked my MASS in my thoughts where I have the liberty to be beside my car and can actually see work being done on it.

The point I am trying to make is that I believe its not manufacturer's policy but is about the particular service centers who:

1. Allow/ disallow engine oil of your choice
2. Stocking engine oils in smaller 3 or 4 ltr cans or have those big 200 ltrs drums.
3. Allow/ restrict the owner being near the car in the service area.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 14th May 2013 at 14:02.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 14:15   #59
BHPian

Sorry if this question has already been answered before.

Will the warranty get affected if engine oil change is not registered in the A.S.S history?
Clearly DIY and PIY is the safer way to go, but I don't want the Auto manufacturers to deny warranty claims with this as excuse. So can they?
Old 8th January 2014, 16:56   #60
BHPian

Re: Car oil change: Fully Paid Service vs Purchase it Yourself vs full DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I have had enough experience of A.S.S cheating on engine oil (billing without actually changing oil / filling low quality pre-mixed oil), so I buy oil from outside and depend on a trusted garage for oil-change.
A bit OT ... but how did you get to know that they hadn't changed the oil? I mean, many of us can be fooled in this way, especially if we use our cars sparingly and the oil to be replaced is as good and clean as new (in terms of KMs, not time).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks