Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice for simple oil change when car is out of warranty/old?
Service at a A.S.S. 60 23.90%
Service at independent garage 37 14.74%
PIY: Purchase it (oil+filter) Yourself + Trusted Garage for labour 132 52.59%
Full DIY: Purchasing & changing oil yourself 42 16.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2014, 20:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car oil change: Fully Paid Service vs Purchase it Yourself vs full DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwidFE View Post
A bit OT ... but how did you get to know that they hadn't changed the oil? I mean, many of us can be fooled in this way, especially if we use our cars sparingly and the oil to be replaced is as good and clean as new (in terms of KMs, not time).
As a thumb rule, an engine oil cannot be black after a hardly 5 km drive from Service Station to your home, if both engine oil and oil filter haves been changed. New engine oil may be honey-colored, but engine oil turns (a bit) darker even with low usage.
Old 9th January 2014, 23:01   #62
BHPian

Re: Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY

I have a Honda Civic S AT, for which I got the engine oil change (to Castrol Magnatec 10W40) done at the neighborhood garage. Next time I plan to get it changed to Total Quartz 7000, having heard very good things about it.

As for servicing, I use a mixed approach where I get once a year servicing done by Honda (I love the way they tighten the various nuts and bolts of the car as a part of servicing and the car comes out feeling more solid than it was earlier). For any major repair and expensive part replacement, I go with my trusted multi-brand workshop, who I believe sources the parts from an importer who gets the parts from Thailand.
Old 30th October 2014, 11:36   #63
BHPian

I plan to buy a 25 litres pack of Castrol Magnatec Diesel 15w40 from the Castrol Distributor at Bhubaneswar. I urge fellow-Team Bhpians at Bhubaneswar to share the engine oil. Maybe if 15-20 members can join me, we can change the oil in all our cars at least cost.
Old 25th February 2015, 13:38   #64
BHPian

Can you choose your own brand of engine Oil at a.s.s

The yearly service on my 2012 VW TDI Vento is due and I was looking forwards to getting her serviced, all fluids changed...the full spa.

I know that since past few years VW have stopped using Mobil 1 engine oils and switched over to Castrol.

I do not want to engage in a brand debate. But lets just say that as a consumer I want to choose which oil goes into my car.

The question is if I go to a.s.s and say I have purchased my own fluids and please use them, can the a.s.s refuse? Must I be forced to use the brands that they stock?

Any experiences, legal insights can please be shared on this?
Old 25th February 2015, 14:05   #65
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can you choose your own brand of engine Oil at a.s.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowMan View Post
The yearly service on my 2012 VW TDI Vento is due and I was looking forwards to getting her serviced, all fluids changed...the full spa.

I know that since past few years VW have stopped using Mobil 1 engine oils and switched over to Castrol.

I do not want to engage in a brand debate. But lets just say that as a consumer I want to choose which oil goes into my car.

The question is if I go to a.s.s and say I have purchased my own fluids and please use them, can the a.s.s refuse? Must I be forced to use the brands that they stock?

Yes, the after sales refuse to use any other oil other than the one that is used by them, more so if your car is in warranty.

However, i use Mobil Delvac 1 at Fiat after sales in my city, as my car is out of warranty, and i have a good rapport with the people there.
Old 25th February 2015, 14:07   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check if you can find anything in this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gine-oils.html

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 25th February 2015, 14:11   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Really depends on the dealer. My earlier Maruti ASS used to not allow me to get my own engine oil, so I called all the dealers listed on the Maruti website and found one who agreed to use my engine oil provided it was the right grade, as specified by Maruti. I chose Mobil and they did a swell job. Ironically, they also allowed me to personally supervise the oil change, took about 30 mins to drain all the oil.

I suggest you try out the other VW dealers on the phone and tell them point blank that you want to bring your own oil. They will charge you labour charges, but you should get your way.
Old 17th March 2015, 16:43   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quoted from the other thread to avoid OT there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
You should not use a tool to install an oil filter at all! Oil filters are supposed to be handtightened only! The various filter wrenches are for taking them off, not to put them on!

So your mechanic got it wrong too!

The proper way to install an oil filter is:
- fill it with the same type of oil as in the engine
- apply some oil on the rubber seal
- screw the oil filter on and tighten by hand

That's all!

Jeroen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
With a tool you are very likely to over-tighten, or worse damage the filter.
Over tightening isn't a big thing per se, as long as it doesn't damage the filter.

Its impossible to damage the filer, or over tighten using your hand.

When you have to take the filter off, it really doesn't matter how much damage you do. If the filter is badly stuck, I just hammer a big screwdriver through and twist.
We all learn something new every day.

All this while, I had assumed that the replacement oil filter was tightened using a wrench/tool. Looks like it has to be done only by hand. A lot of websites also stress on this fact (not that I don't trust you but a second opinion never hurts ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobil Oil
Finally, install and tighten the new oil filter by hand.
Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell
Carefully screw the new filter into place by hand, making sure it is not over-tight.
Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by About Autos
You don't need a wrench to install the new oil filter. Screw it on as tight as you can get it with one hand. Overtightening the oil filter can strip its threads and cause a leak. Of course, not tightening it enough can cause a leak. So screw it on as tight as it will go with one hand, but no more.
Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifehacker
Replace the filter and hand-tighten the seal.
Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmunds
Here I'm at three-quarters of a turn with no tools. This is enough. You can go to a full turn if you can manage it by hand, but don't resort to a filter wrench just because you want to tighten it more than the recommended amount.
Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixit
Place the new filter over the threads and turn it clockwise by hand until it is snug.
Source

This will come in handy, starting next year!
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 22:16   #69
BHPian

I tried calling up all 3 VW service stations in Ahmedabad and none of them let me use my own oil. To complicate matters VW does not engage if off the counter sale of spare parts, even consumables like oil filter.

The long and short of it is I had to stick with the one oil brand that i hate most - Castrol.
Old 22nd March 2015, 22:54   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I tried calling up all 3 VW service stations in Ahmedabad and none of them let me use my own oil. To complicate matters VW does not engage if off the counter sale of spare parts, even consumables like oil filter.

The long and short of it is I had to stick with the one oil brand that i hate most - Castrol.
Once the warranty period of your car is over (including the extended warranty), you can do the servicing yourself or get it done from a competent VAG FNG (Bosch service centers are quite good I heard). OEM parts for air/oil/fuel filters can be sourced locally. Just make sure that you keep a record of the parts changed during such services so it will come in handy when you sell the car later.

I plan to do this starting next year (45k service). Making a switch to Shell Helix engine oil.
Old 2nd July 2015, 21:57   #71

Hi guys I drive a 2009 Corolla Altis 1.8 VL petrol automatic and have clocked just 37000 km on it so far. About 10k km before I installed a sequential Cng kit of vertis into it and am quite happy with the performance
However I wanted to renew the engine oil and filter and don't want to go to Toyota service station simply coz of the higher taxation gay and service charge they levy on the oil and filter change.
Went thru the manual and it recommends 5w30 or 10w 30 api sl sm or ilsac multigrade oil.wanted to know which oil would be best suited for the car , any brand shell/ Mobil/Castrol the car is rung about 8-9000 km a year since I've switched to Cng and the service intervals are 10 km. kindly suggest the type grade and brand of oil for the same
Cheers!!
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:37   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankzvohra View Post
Hi guys I drive a 2009 Corolla Altis 1.8 VL petrol automatic and have clocked just 37000 km on it so far. About 10k km before I installed a sequential Cng kit of vertis into it and am quite happy with the performance
However I wanted to renew the engine oil and filter and don't want to go to Toyota service station simply coz of the higher taxation gay and service charge they levy on the oil and filter change.
Went thru the manual and it recommends 5w30 or 10w 30 api sl sm or ilsac multigrade oil.wanted to know which oil would be best suited for the car , any brand shell/ Mobil/Castrol the car is rung about 8-9000 km a year since I've switched to Cng and the service intervals are 10 km. kindly suggest the type grade and brand of oil for the same
Cheers!!
You won't go wrong with either Mobil or Shell since Maruti uses these for their K series engines.
Old 9th August 2015, 03:26   #73
BHPian

Engine oil change affects warranty

I went for the 3rd free service for my Pulsar 200ns. Since I had already changed my engine oil to Motul FS 20w50, I asked the service engineer not to change the engine oil. I explained to him that I have changed tge oil at 2000kms(dtsi), 5000 kms(dtsi) and 7500 kms(Motul). However he said that if I do not refill with dtsi oil now during 3rd service, my warranty will be void. So, bhpians, please advise.
Old 9th August 2015, 06:57   #74
BHPian

Re: Engine oil change affects warranty

Pay for their oil & change, your warranty stays ;-)
Rennjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 08:29   #75
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine oil change affects warranty

Technically, you stand to lose the warranty since you did not get the oil changed at the company recommended interval. Better to stick to the manufacturer recommended interval.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks