Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2012, 00:56   #1
BHPian

Ikon Fuel Filter : OEM is cheaper than After-Market filter

I wanted a new fuel filter for my petrol Ikon. Asked the service center and a local shop. OEM is roughly 130 bucks without labour. Aftermarket "Sakura" filter is 350/-. Which one should I go for? This is the first time I am finding the A.S.C. pricing to be lower. Is this Sakura filter somehow better? Pricing isn't really a concern in this case.
Old 26th June 2012, 22:49   #2
BHPian

re: Ikon Fuel Filter : OEM is cheaper than After-Market filter

This is a no-brainer if the OEM is cheaper why go for something that would no way give any advantage over the standard filter in terms of performance or reliability.
sierrakamat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 23:08   #3
BHPian

That is my question exactly. We all know OEM may not always be the best quality, compared to aftermarket (They are, however, adequate). Considering the fuel pump is several years old, and is one of the Ikon's achilles heels, if the Sakura filter is somehow more free-flow, it'll help. I don't mind spending the money if I'm gonna get better quality. And I'd rather install the Sakura filter myself than go the A.S.C. for the OEM install. But then again, if both are equal quality, then why pay more and work to install it when I can have it done for less?

A bit of googling gives me the impression that OEM might be better. Anyone who has used such a filter might know the real deal.
Old 26th June 2012, 23:20   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

OEM filters everytime (oil/fuel/air) - even if the pricing was the converse of what you have experienced. The only exception I would make is if I am modding the car in which case aftermarket parts may be required.

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th June 2012 at 23:21.
Old 27th June 2012, 08:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
I wanted a new fuel filter for my petrol Ikon. Asked the service center and a local shop. OEM is roughly 130 bucks without labour. Aftermarket "Sakura" filter is 350/-. Which one should I go for? This is the first time I am finding the A.S.C. pricing to be lower. Is this Sakura filter somehow better? Pricing isn't really a concern in this case.

OEM is motorcraft made by Purolator , Thats why it is cheaper. Sakura is good if not better as the bypass valve is much better. purolator uses a pressed disc bypass valve and the sakura uses a spring load. Both will do good for 5k kms. How much is OEM with labour?
Old 27th June 2012, 08:52   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Some Ikon /Ford spares are actually fairly priced.
Old 27th June 2012, 09:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
OEM is motorcraft made by Purolator , Thats why it is cheaper. Sakura is good if not better as the bypass valve is much better. purolator uses a pressed disc bypass valve and the sakura uses a spring load. Both will do good for 5k kms. How much is OEM with labour?
OEM is Rs. 132/- without labour. I don't know how much the labour cost is, but changing a fuel filter is so easy, I can't imagine it would be high. Regardless of labour cost, I'll go for the better one.

A google search seams to indicate their oil filters are not as good. Since you have an Ikon as well, if the Sakura filter is better, then that is the one I'll go for.
Old 27th June 2012, 22:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
OEM is Rs. 132/- without labour. I don't know how much the labour cost is, but changing a fuel filter is so easy, I can't imagine it would be high. Regardless of labour cost, I'll go for the better one.

A google search seams to indicate their oil filters are not as good. Since you have an Ikon as well, if the Sakura filter is better, then that is the one I'll go for.

Go for the Sakura , it traps dirt better. How do i know? I broke open the OEM and sakura , sakura had much better construction and trapped more dirt. It also has a better anti pass valve so the top end has oil when starting engine.
Old 28th June 2012, 09:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
I broke open the OEM and sakura , sakura had much better construction and trapped more dirt. It also has a better anti pass valve so the top end has oil when starting engine.
Sakura it is then. BTW, the one you broke open would be an oil filter, right? As far as I know, a fuel filter is pretty much in-line with the pump and fuel rail, and has no oil to speak of.
Old 28th June 2012, 09:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Sakura it is then. BTW, the one you broke open would be an oil filter, right? As far as I know, a fuel filter is pretty much in-line with the pump and fuel rail, and has no oil to speak of.
Both oil and fuel sakura is better , fuel filter hardly gets dirty for me. I cleaned my tank last year. I think top of the line is 3M or the likes but you would see no improvement. I use sakura air filter as well. ( i do not work for sakura )
Old 28th June 2012, 10:58   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,

Yes IKON Fuel Filter costs only about ~150 bucks. There is no need to go for a better one as such, because, as per my A.S.S which is more than 10 years old, there has been no problems whatsoever due to a inferior quality fuel filter. Infact, when I had a water in Fuel problem, and the OE part handled it quite well.

Quote:
As far as I know, a fuel filter is pretty much in-line with the pump and fuel rail, and has no oil to speak of.
Quote:
Here's how you change the Fuel Filter yourself. Its a 10 min job.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2418033
Old 28th June 2012, 11:07   #12
BHPian

This wouldn't exactly be the first time I change a fuel filter, but the link may help other people. OEM might do the job, but if I can get something better, then I usually go for it. Plus the A.S.C. people are difficult to deal with.
Old 28th June 2012, 11:19   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is the first time I am finding the A.S.C. pricing to be lower.
Even for the battery on the Ikon, the cost from the A.S.C is cheaper than if procured from outside.
Old 28th June 2012, 11:39   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Even for the battery on the Ikon, the cost from the A.S.C is cheaper than if procured from outside.
You are right Benny. But, now, the warranty has gone up to 2 years, and the price doubled to nearly 5k.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed