Team-BHP - BMW 525i E60 (N2N) 2009 acceleration issue
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   BMW 525i E60 (N2N) 2009 acceleration issue (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/122625-bmw-525i-e60-n2n-2009-acceleration-issue.html)

I really have to press the accelerator quite hard or deep before getting to move the static car (in D mode).
Once the car is set in motion and has some speed/ inertia (say above 30 /40 kmph), then it accelerates well.

I find this is really painful on the legs if driving in bumper2bumper traffic.
In other words, it takes an effort to set the static car rolling.

But if I use the DS mode or M/S +/- mode, I don't face this issue.

Is there something I can do to make the car accelerate like japanese cars which are extremely light on the accelerator?

Could it be that the car in Auto mode (D) does not engage in the 1st gear?
Is this something to worry about or can this be resolved ? or Is this normal and I'm just concerned for nothing.

Someone did advise me to - Try resetting the adaptive trans settings.
Key in, push start but don't start the car, Push accelerator pedal to floor and hold for 45 seconds. Turn ignition off. This should reset the trans.
I attempted that and yes, i did feel a bit of a difference but after a while its back to the same feel.

Any advice by the experts here would be appreciated.

Try the trans reset again, press the button in so that the electronics all start. Press the accel in for about 35 seconds, you should hear a faint sound or click around the 25 second mark. The DON'T put the ignition off, start the car and drive around, preferably when there isn't much traffic around. Try that and see if it helps at all.

This just occurred to me. If what I said above doesn't work and you still find the accelerator too insensitive. Buy this -
Sprint Booster For BMW 5-Series

This boosts the throttle signal to the ecu and makes the accelerator more sensitive.

Also did you recently but this car or has it bothered you since you bought it?

Thanks akshay,

I'm going to attempt the trans reset the way you mentioned. Will post back if there's any improvement.

The 2nd item sounds good but even if I do buy it , I would not know from whom to get it installed. BMW service centres may not touch 3rd party accessories.

I bought this car about 2 months ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinLow (Post 2823829)

I bought this car about 2 months ago.

Thats what I thought. BMW accelerators are like this, I've noticed. Sensitive only after a certain speed. It makes sure there are no jerks while accelerating.

I don't think the transmission reset is going to help you much in this regard, though still do it and let it get used to your driving style.

The sprintbooster is plug and play. You can do it yourself, and the service centre won't even figure out its there.

I've also been told that BMW specifically makes the accelerator like this to avoid flooring the throttle (like inadvertently in a crash). But its available int he manual or sports mode.
Also, if you floor till the end of the RPM gauge, it would damage the engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinLow (Post 2823974)
Also, if you floor till the end of the RPM gauge, it would damage the engine.

Thats nonsense. It won't damage the engine as such. Sure being at higher rpm will cause more wear and tear in the engine but its not something you will notice unless you redline all the time, everyday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 2822506)
Try the trans reset again, press the button in so that the electronics all start. Press the accel in for about 35 seconds, you should hear a faint sound or click around the 25 second mark. Then DON'T put the ignition off, start the car and drive around, preferably when there isn't much traffic around. Try that and see if it helps at all.

Tried this, the car seemed to respond better on the day I did it. But then again, after a few days, it seems to lose interest however its still reacting better than before-i-did-it.

A couple of days ago, I had a flat tyre. Got it repaired by a local shop who repaired it like a regular tubeless. All seems normal for now.

Anyone here had any issues after repairing a RFT like a tubeless tire?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinLow (Post 2837685)
Tried this, the car seemed to respond better on the day I did it. But then again, after a few days, it seems to lose interest however its still reacting better than before-i-did-it.

A couple of days ago, I had a flat tyre. Got it repaired by a local shop who repaired it like a regular tubeless. All seems normal for now.

Anyone here had any issues after repairing a RFT like a tubeless tire?

In that case its probably due to heavy traffic use that the accel is still dead. But buy the sprintbooster if it really irritates you.

Yes its totally fine to fix an RFT like a tubless. I mean an RFT is a tubeless with strengthened sidewalls.

Akshay, Is it possible to get the name/number of Maverick? since I plan to go to Navnit workshop in a day or two to get my tyre replaced.

Cannot PM, since I'm still on the newbie tag.

It would be nice to interact with him.

Can anyone tell the what's the mileage you get in city and on highway on 525i please!

You could ask the dealership to reset adaptations, if they do it. The ECU will re learn and adapt according to your driving style. In my opinion, it's a must if buying a used BMW. Why should you drive to the adaptations of the previous owner?

Anywhere between 5 to 9 kms/lt from bumper traffic to open streets.