Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 10:33   #16
BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair - IAC Valve Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
You may want to check with fellow member dhanushs about the check points and options.
He is quite knowledgeable with the Ikon.

If you are sure about the IAC valve, you could try cleaning it, before replacing. There are scores of sprays available for such applications. Brake fluid too works.
Thanks, will check with dhanushs. The valve was cleaned at the A.S.S. but didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Marelli coil was from a spare parts shop & not from the A.S.S. A.S.S always makes profit on such spare parts only, than selling the car itself.
This is good news. I was not aware that some Ikon parts are available OTC. I wish some Mumbai Ford owner would help me with locating a good independent garage as well. That would really make my day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Not only the Fuel circuit but the air circuit as well. However since you mention that it was serviced, I would assume there will be no restriction or leakage.

The socket for the injectors is just ahead of the tappet cover, it has a tendency on my car to be loose.
Thanks Anirban da, will check this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
In my case I had a complete failure in Ignition coil for one of the cylinders and car was running only on 3 cylinders.

Wimwian in your case since the car runs fine in lower rpm and a recently changed ignition coil, problem might be somewhere else.
I had the same problem when I got the Ignition coil changed, the car was running on 3 cylinders and the loss of power was quite obvious. This time it feels different, the loss of power is only intermittent and under hard acceleration.

A little OT: Have any of you Ford owners ever experienced a strong smell of petrol in the cabin sometimes? I've been noticing this off-and-on for many years now... It's not a very frequent affair and I've never been able to replicate it at the service station, so it's never been addressed properly.
Old 5th July 2012, 10:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
1. This is good news. I was not aware that some Ikon parts are available OTC. I wish some Mumbai Ford owner would help me with locating a good independent garage as well. That would really make my day!

2. I had the same problem when I got the Ignition coil changed, the car was running on 3 cylinders and the loss of power was quite obvious. This time it feels different, the loss of power is only intermittent and under hard acceleration.

3. A little OT: Have any of you Ford owners ever experienced a strong smell of petrol in the cabin sometimes? I've been noticing this off-and-on for many years now... It's not a very frequent affair and I've never been able to replicate it at the service station, so it's never been addressed properly.
1. Check at Shetty Motors at Opera house
2. It should have run with 2 cylinders coz it works by wasted spark method
3. Check the hoses going to the purge canister.
Old 5th July 2012, 11:21   #18
BHPian

The issue could be failed plug wire,spark plug, Ignition coil, Crank position sensor (not sure ikon has this)

Regards,
Vijay
Old 5th July 2012, 12:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A little OT: Have any of you Ford owners ever experienced a strong smell of petrol in the cabin sometimes? I've been noticing this off-and-on for many years now... It's not a very frequent affair and I've never been able to replicate it at the service station, so it's never been addressed properly.
Happens with my Ikon, every summer. Not sure what the matter is, but a few times, the attendants at pump filled the tank to the brim even after my instruction to stop at auto-cut off.

We feel very stong petrol smell in the cabin, when the weather is hot, but then after rains or in winter when the weather is nice and cool, the smell disappears. I have not got it checked yet.
My refill and mileage figures are very consistent and have not noticed any leakage near the tank inlet or under the car. So can't yet say what's causing the smell.
Old 5th July 2012, 13:06   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Recently, I have been experiencing an intermittent loss of power, particularly during sudden acceleration. If driven sedately, the car runs quite smoothly. It's something like what the old carburetor based cars used to feel like whenever there was some 'Kachra' in the carburetor.
Hi Wimwian,

Please do check.
  • Fuel Supply/Filter/Pump. Ensure proper pressure in lines.
  • Ignition coil. Please check for proper firing in all cylinders in all rpms.
  • Air Intake. Check for blocks.
IMO, the most probable reason would be the Ignition coil. Please replace with another one and check.

Quote:
I'm not completely convinced that the IAC valve is to blame since there are absolutely no issues with the idle timing.
You are right. A faulty IAC valve causes idling issues.
Quote:
Also, is 7.5K a reasonable quote?
Yes Sir. It costs that much. And, the labour at A.S.S is about ~1k IIRC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks