Team-BHP - Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair - IAC Valve Issue
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair - IAC Valve Issue (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/122867-ford-ikon-1-3-flair-iac-valve-issue.html)

I searched for this issue but couldn't find a suitable thread (although the IAC valve has been mentioned in passing on some threads, the only remedy offered was to get it cleaned, which hasn't worked for me). Mods, please feel free to move this thread if required.

I have a 2005 Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair that has run just 30,000 Kms till date. The only major issues till date have been the two most common problems with an Ikon - a shot ignition coil (replaced in 2010) and the A/c diverter valve (which was bypassed into cooling-only mode). Recently, I have been experiencing an intermittent loss of power, particularly during sudden acceleration. If driven sedately, the car runs quite smoothly. It's something like what the old carburetor based cars used to feel like whenever there was some 'Kachra' in the carburetor.

Since the problem was not very pressing and I only use this car on the weekends, I never really paid much attention to it. Recently, I took the car to Wasan Ford for servicing where they diagnosed it as a malfunctioning IAC valve. They tried cleaning it, but that didn't help much. If anything, it has made the problem worse. According to them, the only solution is to replace the valve at a hefty cost of INR 7.5K.

I'm not completely convinced that the IAC valve is to blame since there are absolutely no issues with the idle timing. Also, the engine revvs up automatically in 1st or 2nd gear if the car goes below a certain speed, to prevent the engine from stalling. I might be wrong, but isn't this controlled by the IAC valve as well?

Would really appreciate some tips on the things I should get checked, so as to dismiss other possibilities and narrow it down to the IAC valve. Has anybody else faced this issue in an Ikon? Also, is 7.5K a reasonable quote?

You're right, the Idle Air Control Valve keeps the engine from stalling. If it is on its way out, you'll notice the car stalling more often with the A/C turned on.

I'd try resetting the ECU first. Disconnect the battery for some time. The ECU will go into 'learning' mode for the first 10 kms or so. See if you have a problem after that.

Could it be a fuel supply issue?

Easy and more convenient way for A.S.S to make money is to "replace" the entire system. Please get your car to an independent garage or a different A.S.S with mmore credibility and check the IAC valve solenoid with some sort of a meter because most of the times this will be the culprit. It takes a lot for the entire IAC setup to conk without a reason.

I have had these kind of experiences with my carb esteem itself.

Are you sure it's the IAC valve and not the Ignition coil again? My BIL's car had similar problem (sudden power loss when accelerating hard and loss of power with AC) and it was solved by changing the ignition coil. May be you can get your car checked in another workshop?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushik_s
Are you sure it's the IAC valve and not the Ignition coil again? My BIL's car had similar problem (sudden power loss when accelerating hard and loss of power with AC) and it was solved by changing the ignition coil. May be you can get your car checked in another workshop?

Plus 1 to that. I had the same issue and changing the ignition coil made it go away. Btw my flair has just completed 7 years (2005 like yours) am on cooling only with the ac as well and I have had to change the ignition valve once, :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyboy (Post 2828582)
Plus 1 to that. I had the same issue and changing the ignition coil made it go away. Btw my flair has just completed 7 years (2005 like yours) am on cooling only with the ac as well and I have had to change the ignition valve once, :)

Plus 2 now. We faced the same problem in my Dad's ford Ikon Flair, 2005. Chenged the Ign coil & car is back to normal. Not only during sudden acceleration, even it steady cruising engine use to misfire. You can doubt the IAC valve only if the engine behaviour is abnormal when your foot is off the acceleration pedal. As soon as the ECU understands that the throttle valve is open, it simply ignores the IAC and doesnt send any actuating signal to it.
The better part is that the Ikon parts are available cheaper these days. The first time while the Ign coil was replaced, we paid Rs 3500/- at the TVS servic centre. It was in 2008. At the same time Ford service centre quoted 5.5K. The recently I had to replace the coil for the same issue, but at a cost of Rs1850/- only (Magneti Marelli make). Dont know why the Ign coil & Hot water diverter valve conk of so notoriously. But in all, the drive feel from an Ikon is no match to any other car I had driven.
-Ilango

Assuming that you have gotten all the hoses, air path and vacuum lines checked for leakage. As well as verified the fuel injector electrical connector.

Thanks all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RM2488 (Post 2828516)
You're right, the Idle Air Control Valve keeps the engine from stalling. If it is on its way out, you'll notice the car stalling more often with the A/C turned on.

I'd try resetting the ECU first. Disconnect the battery for some time. The ECU will go into 'learning' mode for the first 10 kms or so. See if you have a problem after that.

The car hasn't stalled on me, ever! That's what led me to think the problem is something else. The ECU was reset at Wasan, but didn't help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc (Post 2828536)
Could it be a fuel supply issue?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 2829120)
Assuming that you have gotten all the hoses, air path and vacuum lines checked for leakage. As well as verified the fuel injector electrical connector.

I don't think it's a fuel supply issue. All hoses etc. were checked during the service, no issues there. How do I get the fuel injector connector verified? Can it be done without hooking it up to the OBD system?

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 2828542)
Easy and more convenient way for A.S.S to make money is to "replace" the entire system. Please get your car to an independent garage or a different A.S.S with mmore credibility and check the IAC valve solenoid with some sort of a meter because most of the times this will be the culprit. It takes a lot for the entire IAC setup to conk without a reason.

I have had these kind of experiences with my carb esteem itself.

The problem with a Ford is that most independent garages are not well equipped to handle issues as most spare parts are not available OTC. It'll be great if some Ford owner in Mumbai can point me to a good independent garage. I'll try a different A.S.S. though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushik_s (Post 2828560)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyboy (Post 2828582)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilangop (Post 2829076)
Plus 2 now. We faced the same problem in my Dad's ford Ikon Flair, 2005. Chenged the Ign coil & car is back to normal. Not only during sudden acceleration, even it steady cruising engine use to misfire. You can doubt the IAC valve only if the engine behaviour is abnormal when your foot is off the acceleration pedal. As soon as the ECU understands that the throttle valve is open, it simply ignores the IAC and doesnt send any actuating signal to it.
The better part is that the Ikon parts are available cheaper these days. The first time while the Ign coil was replaced, we paid Rs 3500/- at the TVS servic centre. It was in 2008. At the same time Ford service centre quoted 5.5K. The recently I had to replace the coil for the same issue, but at a cost of Rs1850/- only (Magneti Marelli make). Dont know why the Ign coil & Hot water diverter valve conk of so notoriously. But in all, the drive feel from an Ikon is no match to any other car I had driven.
-Ilango

Shucks, this is bad news indeed. It's been less than 2 years and 10K kms since I got the Ignition coil changed. Will get it checked again nevertheless. Is this Magneti Marelli coil available OTC or with A.S.S.? I too had paid 3.5K last time.

-

You may want to check with fellow member dhanushs about the check points and options.
He is quite knowledgeable with the Ikon.

If you are sure about the IAC valve, you could try cleaning it, before replacing. There are scores of sprays available for such applications. Brake fluid too works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wimwian (Post 2829301)
Is this Magneti Marelli coil available OTC or with A.S.S.? I too had paid 3.5K last time.
-

Marelli coil was from a spare parts shop & not from the A.S.S. A.S.S always makes profit on such spare parts only, than selling the car itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wimwian (Post 2829301)
I don't think it's a fuel supply issue. All hoses etc. were checked during the service, no issues there. How do I get the fuel injector connector verified? Can it be done without hooking it up to the OBD system?

-

Not only the Fuel circuit but the air circuit as well. However since you mention that it was serviced, I would assume there will be no restriction or leakage.

The socket for the injectors is just ahead of the tappet cover, it has a tendency on my car to be loose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilangop (Post 2829076)
-Ilango

1850 only? that was cheap. We got the coil changed at Sejal Motors Bangalore and the price was 2650 Rs. It was last Saturday. Although it is a different make (not Magneti Marelli I think). It seems it's the 2nd replacement for that car and that's not a very good rate of failure. This was with bill.
What the mechanics told that it seems this happens if the car engine is sprayed with water. As the coil gets too hot and so the water vapour gets inside the ignition coil and ruins it. Not sure how true it is but that coil do get super hot.
Regards,

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushik_s (Post 2829413)
What the mechanics told that it seems this happens if the car engine is sprayed with water. As the coil gets too hot and so the water vapour gets inside the ignition coil and ruins it. Not sure how true it is but that coil do get super hot.
Regards,

It could be the Mechanic's hypothesis. But these coils are completely moulded and there is not a single chance for water to seep inside, unless there is a crack in the housing. Although the coil gets hot while in use.

Folks, even i have a 2004 Ikon and so far AC valve replaced twice and currently running on AC only mode :), and Ignition coil changed once couple of yrs back from Ford A.S.S.

In my case I had a complete failure in Ignition coil for one of the cylinders and car was running only on 3 cylinders.

Wimwian in your case since the car runs fine in lower rpm and a recently changed ignition coil, problem might be somewhere else.