Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 10:07   #1
BHPian

Renault Duster - Chipping or remapping the 85HP to 110HP - Potential Issues?

So the Duster has been launched and we see a 1L difference in the 85HP and 110HP versions which have the same block but with different tuning. At first I unearthed this:

Chiptuning RaceChip - Renault Kangoo (II) 1.5 dCi 85 eco, 1461ccm, 63kW (ca.86PS)

And thought if a 9k INR chip can do the trick then why do I need to pay 1L extra for the 110Hp version? Then some kind soul on the forum pointed out that the gearboxes are different (the 85Hp has a 5 speed one whereas the 110HP has a 6 speed one). Now my question is if someone still decides to install the chip (which will boost the torque to 264Nm - even above the manufacturer torque specification of 248 Nm for the 6 speed 110HP version) then what are the potential consequences and how can they be avoided?

A remap (which can take account of the 5 speed GB and it's torque limitation) would still be able to bump up power and still result in substantial cost savings but does the 5 speed GB limit the power gain significantly even in case of a remap?
Old 5th July 2012, 11:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster - Chipping or remapping the 85HP to 110HP - Potential Issues?

Why not buy the 110BHP, 6 speed version from the factory.
No tuner can match/beat the factory, IMO.
Don't forget the 4 years, 80,000 KM warranty - peace of mind.

And if you want to remap/tune the engine, why not do it on the 110BHP base .

Cheers!
anandpadhye is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 14:38   #3
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster - Chipping or remapping the 85HP to 110HP - Potential Issues?

Anand - the idea is to find out how much of a limiter the gearbox is going to be. This may not be specific to the Duster - in any other similar situation what is the limit to remap/chipping possibility without any changes to the car. Do gearboxes have a torque rating and if yes how much can we push that? Will the 5 speed GB be less efficient (for acceleration etc.) if mated to a 110HP engine? So on and so forth..
Old 5th July 2012, 16:31   #4
BHPian

A personal experience - I have got a RD tuning chip in my 90HP it has a VGT and the effect of the chip is much better then on the 75HP FGT engine (F150 claimed, after driving my car) and the engine is coarse. I havent checked the Duster specs between the 85HP and 110HP , however if above is the case then you shall not enjoy it.
Old 5th July 2012, 18:14   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

First, you should drive the 85 BHP version yourself. Maybe, you find it powerful enough and don't see the need for more horsepower. In the event that you do, what will the chip do to turbolag? A beauty of the 85 BHP engine (same as under the hood of my Sunny) is the driveability; honestly, I wouldn't trade that driveability for 20 BHP more. It's just too darn convenient to drive in the city.

Power ratings aside, keep in mind that this engine isn't built for enthusiastic drivers. It's an SOHC 8 valve engine that hates high rpms (unlike the DOHC 16v 1.3L MJD, for example). Forget the redline, it gets quite coarse above 3,500 rpm itself.

For a new, unfamiliar car, I'd suggest sticking to stock parameters. Atleast for the initial couple of years.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 20:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

One issue I see is premature clutch wear.

The 5 speed GB will not limit the power, but the ratios should be best suited for stock specs, and the all increase in power might usable in day-to-day conditions - Unlike the company 100+ bhp version.

Hence, IMO, spending a lack more, which will also get you some additional equipment sounds OK.

P.S: A power/torque curve after the tune up should shed more light on the practical usability of the 9k chip when compared to the OE 100+ bhp version.

Last edited by dhanushs : 5th July 2012 at 20:46.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 16:55   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
One issue I see is premature clutch wear.

The 5 speed GB will not limit the power, but the ratios should be best suited for stock specs, and the all increase in power might usable in day-to-day conditions - Unlike the company 100+ bhp version.

Hence, IMO, spending a lack more, which will also get you some additional equipment sounds OK.

P.S: A power/torque curve after the tune up should shed more light on the practical usability of the 9k chip when compared to the OE 100+ bhp version.
If not the chip then a remap should take care of the driveability. My main question still remains unanswered though - will the GB be able to handle the extra torque or will it play spoilsport. I am focussing on the GB because that seems to be the only piece of hardware that is different in the 2 specs.

I am not looking to do the above - I am just trying to understand wether this can be done or not.

On a side note - does anybody know wether the turbo on the two units is different or not?
Old 6th July 2012, 17:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

All these details can be obtained from the Renault service center - the part numbers will tell the story.

The gear ratios and turbo is one thing - it will affect the drivability, etc.
For reliability and longevity, what may be more important is the flywheel and clutch-plate. Check with service guys to see if these are different and what are the ratings.
Old 6th July 2012, 18:52   #9
BHPian

I thought the 110 BHP dCi is equipped with a VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo) and the 85 BHP mill had to be content with an FGT. Did I hear it wrong?

A good remap will only improve driveability but any reliable tuner worth their name are not going to bump up more than 15-20% power (~95-100 BHP) on such small/cheap engines to keep within design tolerances.

As Anand suggested, nothing will be as reliable as stock...For a brand new car like Duster, stick with stock until the factory themselves iron out niggling issues.
It'd foolhardy to expect our "Parking-lot tuners" (the kind which is abound in India) to know even 10% of what they are talking/doing.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 6th July 2012 at 18:55.
Digital Vampire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 14:23   #10
BHPian

The 85 ps seemingly comes with Renault's JR5*189 5 speed gearbox (designed to handle upto 20.4 kgm - Autocar review)
The 110 ps seemingly comes with the TL4*043 gearbox (which again seemingly has a capacity of 240 Nm - Google)
Logical conclusion : Tuning does not seem to be a good option.

But : Elia has tuned the Duster & commercially sells the same
ELIA DARK STER Duster 4x4 & ELIA Duster 4x2 Adventure. Somehow the basic car depicted in the 4x2 comes with ESP. So it is not the same as the Indian Duster. The 4x4 might come with a TL8 gearbox (if at all it comes in India).

I guess we need to give some time for our Indian experts to have a go.

My personal opinion: If I buy the Duster, it would be the 110 ps & it will be on Stock till 4 yrs. By then I think I will have enough tested options
Old 25th September 2012, 10:28   #11

The difference between the two engines apart from the gearbox is that the 110 uses a variable geometry turbo and the 85 a fixed one. Apart from this I dont think the 85 has an inter-cooler. By chipping you could get an advantage over stock but as to what it would do to low end torque which is a major plus on the 85 is debatable. I would suggest try the 110 and then decide. I have a 110 but this engine has major turbo lag below 1800 rpm which can be disconcerting especially in hilly terrain. The 85 apparently on this front is much better.
The sixth gear allows for a lower engine rpm for a given speed which allows relaxed highway cruising
Old 25th September 2012, 12:19   #12
BHPian

The differences given in the link should give you an idea on why NOT to go for tuning box for 85ps,

Though anything is possible, i feel durability has to stand out.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/archi...p/t-84312.html
Old 3rd March 2014, 18:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Has any one tried remapping the 110 BHP Duster for better low end torque. Or is the variable geometry turbo too heavy to operate well at low speeds.
Renault has developed a 160BHP 1.6 Lit engine with two turbos One low inertia one to provide low end torque, and the other a high RPM one for more power at higher engine speeds. http://overdrive.in/news/renault-ann...diesel-engine/
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257C85007E5AC0

Rahul
Old 13th October 2022, 18:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
First, you should drive the 85 BHP version yourself. Maybe, you find it powerful enough and don't see the need for more horsepower. In the event that you do, what will the chip do to turbolag? A beauty of the 85 BHP engine (same as under the hood of my Sunny) is the driveability; honestly, I wouldn't trade that driveability for 20 BHP more. It's just too darn convenient to drive in the city.

Power ratings aside, keep in mind that this engine isn't built for enthusiastic drivers. It's an SOHC 8 valve engine that hates high rpms (unlike the DOHC 16v 1.3L MJD, for example). Forget the redline, it gets quite coarse above 3,500 rpm itself.

For a new, unfamiliar car, I'd suggest sticking to stock parameters. Atleast for the initial couple of years.

Hi GTO,

Having spent 8+ years on 85ps Diesel Duster(out of which 2+ years were almost no traveling), I am struggling to find a "genuine" upgrade.

So seriously thinking to add some punch to the existing vehicle.

Can you suggest some mods to make it exciting to drive and retain for atleast 2+ years(like chip remapping or any other things which would make it lovable for enthusiasts driving).

Thanks is advance!
Old 16th October 2022, 00:35   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot View Post
..suggest some mods to make it exciting to drive and retain for atleast 2+ years(like chip remapping or any other things which would make it lovable for enthusiasts driving).
You can definitely go in for a remap for your 85PS duster. It's an extremely reliable engine and remapping will only add to the top end and overtaking maneuvers more fun.

Just beware. Any remap comes with consequences. You just need to make sure you trade off the right ones. Cheers and all the best for a fun time with your Duster!
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks