Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2013, 20:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kiirus remap: Adding new life to an aging Hyundai Getz

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Kryptonite:

Please let us know how the Getz is fairing on all fronts now (driveability, mileage etc). I am too having a Getz Petrol 1.3 (7 years and counting). I have done similar mods to my Getz with cold air intake from GreenCotton, free flow from Automech, NGK Irridium plugs. I am in two minds if I need to continue using the Getz or go for an exchange. If I go for the remap I can may be reduce the itch to change for the next year or so.

After the cold air intake and free flow, the low end torque has increased but it is still far from free-revving. It seems to hit a spot half way during acceleration from where it is not unwilling to accelerate freely further. After some struggle though it accelerates further but it becomes too coarse and unrefined. From your post looks like the throttle response does increase after the remap. So if your friends Getz is running fine now without any issues, may be I can take the step to go for the remap and see if it makes the car more fun to drive.

Thanks.
I am going to get it done for my Getz next week. I will update on my experience.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 20:53   #17
BHPian

Thank you. How much is the cost now?. Any discounts?.

Just noticed that your location is Bangalore. Is someone from Kiirus visiting Bangalore to get your car remapped?.

Last edited by drvhplyevraftr : 1st August 2013 at 20:55.
Old 1st August 2013, 21:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. How much is the cost now?. Any discounts?.

Just noticed that your location is Bangalore. Is someone from Kiirus visiting Bangalore to get your car remapped?.
The cost now is Rs. 24000. They are visiting Bangalore on next Monday and Tuesday. The details are available on their facebook page.
Old 1st August 2013, 22:24   #19
BHPian

Well I thought the price might have come down a little bit owing to the slow down etc.
Anyways, at this price, I might have to think multiple times before taking the plunge as it
is almost 1/6 of the price that I might get for the car if I sell it or go for an exchange.
Unless the remap makes some significant changes to the drive ability and adds noticeable fun quotient to the car, I dont think I will go for it. Anyways please let us know the before and after effects of the car that the remap brings. Thank you.
Old 1st August 2013, 23:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I thought the price might have come down a little bit owing to the slow down etc.
Anyways, at this price, I might have to think multiple times before taking the plunge as it
is almost 1/6 of the price that I might get for the car if I sell it or go for an exchange.
It does not make sense if you look at it from a resale point of view. I decided to go for it as I will be keeping the car for another 2-3 years. The car has been performing well and it is ideal for my requirement, around 80% city use. Replacing the car now will be more heavy on my pocket than making some modifications and keep the excitement going. Looking at the options, remap seems to be more bang for the buck. Let me see how it goes.

My only concern with the car is the availability of parts. Advaith Hyundai has not disappointed me in this regard - they even procured the boot lift within a span of 1 week. It had lost tension with age.
Old 5th August 2013, 14:45   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Hi, any update on how the car has been performing? Thanks
Quote:
How much is the cost now?. Any discounts?.

Quote:
The cost now is Rs. 24000. They are visiting Bangalore on next Monday and Tuesday. The details are available on their facebook page.
The Getz was my friend's car, and it's running absolutely fine.

PatienceWins is correct. They're in Bangalore and have an offer up on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/KIIRUSAUTOSPORTS
kryptonite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 16:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
The Getz was my friend's car, and it's running absolutely fine.

PatienceWins is correct. They're in Bangalore and have an offer up on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/KIIRUSAUTOSPORTS
I got the remap done today. My driving impressions are exactly same as what is shared by kryptonite in the initial post.

To summarize:
The car is perfect for city with excellent driveability and less gear changes. Midrange is very good now.
The flat spot above idle is gone.
Revs freely.
More smoother.

My only regret is that I did not do it earlier. I will try to keep this car even if I upgrade in the next few years. The only issue is extra parking space in the apartment. The car is perfect for city. I am yet to test the car on an open road/ highway. I am not much interested about highway as the car spends most of the time in city and I am not comfortable driving above 120kmph on our roads. The soft suspension of Getz do not help here too.

Thanks Kryptonite for the useful review which helped me to take the plunge.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 6th August 2013 at 16:18.
Old 6th August 2013, 20:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I got the remap done today. My driving impressions are exactly same as what is shared by kryptonite in the initial post.
Excellent. Thanks for updating the thread with your impressions. Looks like I will also have to take the plunge. That way I can ward-off the itch to upgrade for at least another year. Keep updating us about your impressions and also check if there is any noticeable difference in mileage (increase or decrease).
Old 6th August 2013, 22:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Excellent. Thanks for updating the thread with your impressions. Looks like I will also have to take the plunge. That way I can ward-off the itch to upgrade for at least another year. Keep updating us about your impressions and also check if there is any noticeable difference in mileage (increase or decrease).
I will update mileage once I check it over a period of time using full tank to empty method.

The power increase by remap in a petrol (naturally aspirated) cannot be compared to the gains you would in a diesel (turbo charged vehicle). The increase in torque (claimed) for Getz petrol is 10Nm. It is less compared to 20 to 50 NM which can be easily obtained in a diesel. So do not have high expectations by comparing the power to a diesel. Diesel offers more bang for the buck with a remap.

What I like about the remap in Getz is the availability of power starting from idle all the way to the top end (have not got a chance to test much above 4500 rpm). Earlier the car was sluggish until 2000 rpm and the mid range was decent. The availability of power above idle, increase in midrange, free reving nature and change in rev limit have made the vehicle much more fun to drive. It meets my requirements very well. You would not be disappointed if you have the right expectations.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 6th August 2013 at 22:24.
Old 7th August 2013, 15:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
The power increase by remap in a petrol (naturally aspirated) cannot be compared to the gains you would in a diesel (turbo charged vehicle).
I agree.

Quote:
Earlier the car was sluggish until 2000 rpm and the mid range was decent.
My observations in current form of my vehicle are spot on with that of yours.

Quote:
The availability of power above idle, increase in midrange, free reving nature and change in rev limit have made the vehicle much more fun to drive.
You would not be disappointed if you have the right expectations.
I basically want more throttle response. I am not the racing types and would seldom take it beyond 3000 rpm. So if the lower or the mid range increases and if the car is free revving, it would more than satisfy my cravings. From what you say I am sure the remap will not disappoint me. Now I will have to wait for kiirus to show up in Hyderabad or send the ECU to them.

BTW I do not know how to remove the ECU. Did you get a chance to see how it was removed and how accessible and difficult it might be if I have to DIY?.

Thanks.
Old 7th August 2013, 19:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

BTW I do not know how to remove the ECU. Did you get a chance to see how it was removed and how accessible and difficult it might be if I have to DIY?.

Thanks.
The ECU is below the steering. They access it by kneeling down on the floor and peeping through the gap above the foot well. It took them around 5 minutes to remove the ECU by removing around 5 screws. Fitting it back took only a couple of minutes. It seems to be a DIY - note that I have not checked how the ECU is connected. Please note that they have used some special spanner set for removing the screws which hold the ECU.

You can call Abhishek/ Kishor of Kiirus and they would guide you on how to remove it or direct you to any associate your city where you can take assistance. Hope this helps.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 7th August 2013 at 19:28.
Old 17th August 2013, 18:58   #27
Pal
BHPian

This topic is just what I was scouting! Especially the "F.E. GAIN" PART!

It means that the 'tune-up' of parameters can also be tweaked for 'tune-down'? From 9.5kpl in city presently, I really need the car to do 12-13kpl on the city and 16-18kpl on the highway. Can't there be a way to give up high end power and improve the low-end torque, to avoid the need for massive initial throttle inputs in each gear?

(And fingers crossed that this mod comes out way cheaper than a CNG-kit)
Old 12th March 2015, 19:37   #28
BHPian

I have a pre-owned Getz 1.1 GVS. The Car is general very comfortable and spacious. No complaints on mileage front as I get 13-14 KMPL with AC on 100%. In short, I would love to keep it going.

Issue: The car drives fine without AC but on AC, so many times, I stall the car in the first gear/second gear. Remap is too costly but is there something that I could do?

I want to defer upgrade to next year. So, how can I keep it going?
Old 12th March 2015, 19:55   #29
BHPian

I doubt an A/C can draw so much power from a 1.1 engine to make it stall. I think the problem is with your clutch, worth getting it checked.
Old 12th March 2015, 23:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
I doubt an A/C can draw so much power from a 1.1 engine to make it stall. I think the problem is with your clutch, worth getting it checked.
Well, AC doesn't make the car stall as such. I guess, I needed to be more precise. With Getz 1.1, low end torque is quite low. Without AC on, no issues in moving car from a standstill. But, if AC is on, I need to make an effort to get a move on. In a start stop traffic, this is sometimes an issue. I just want it to be a bit smoother.

The first sign of a bad clutch, before anything else, is low/depleting mileage. You missed the part that I am getting a very reasonable mileage.

Most Viewed