Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2006, 13:50   #46
rks
BANNED

Actually I have read a book very long ago that advised to fill up the tank and then refill whenever it becomes half-empty, i.e, the fuller the tank the less the chances of rusting. But I don't know if this applies to modern fuel tanks which may be more corrosion-resistant.
Old 29th September 2006, 06:44   #47
BHPian

Well Guys I was not talking about the dynamics of the car with repect to the weight ratio.
There is defnitely an increase of weight because of additional fuel in the car. So, is there no difference in having 20 KG extra in the car and without it?
And again as Technocrat was telling, if you are person who doesn't want to go regulary to a fuel station then go-ahead and fill it up.
Defnitely I do fill only half the tank regulary as I feel this is very convinent.
Old 29th September 2006, 11:32   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmarine
So, is there no difference in having 20 KG extra in the car and without it?
Nopes No difference(in Performance) unless ofcourse you are running a rally car
Old 29th September 2006, 22:34   #49
Senior - BHPian

just look out for the pure for sure mark ,get in and fill about 1/4 to 1/2 tank fuel if its meant for daily office - home use.if its a long drive always go for the tank full.
Old 1st October 2006, 11:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

fuel weight

Actually in the specs of the vehicle are mentioned laden weight and unladen weight by the manufacturer. Both of this is calculated with & without tank full. All this and many more considerations are taken into account while designing the powerplant. So, a tankfull or half tank makes a very negligible difference..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
Nopes No difference(in Performance) unless ofcourse you are running a rally car
Old 1st October 2006, 21:38   #51
BHPian

Earlier when I was using ALTO VX 1.1 I used to fill 25 liters every time, when the needle touches the red. But now I have started filling up the tank every time, when there is a little less than a quarter of the tank.

I use to drive about 40kms a day. I have never thought of that filling habit may have an impact on the FE.
Old 2nd October 2006, 11:24   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc_cool
.. And another thing I've noticed is that it gives the right amount of interval to check air levels too..

I *always* check air pressure at every fuel top up.. Ensures you get optimal FE apart from ensuring a smaller chance of running into a flat tyre..
If you check air at the pump, you'll get a wrong reading, since you have already driven the vehicle at least a kilometre to get there, tyres will be warmer, and air pressure will increase - thus you get a higher reading (false reading).

Air pressure should always be checked when the tyres are cold - before you move the car out of your garage/parking spot in the morning. Fill air at this time with a foot-pump. If you have no pump at home, note the reading down, drive to the gas station and increase pressure by the figure that was deficient when checked at home, irrespective of what pressure reading you get when you reach the gas station.
Old 2nd October 2006, 20:49   #53
Senior - BHPian

Talking about fuelling, has anyone here noticed that the 1st 1/2 tank of gas used,gives a better mileage as compared to the 2nd 1/2 of the tank? I have noticed that in my car, when I fill the tank up full (~ 11-12gallons), I get about 180-220 miles in total, but after 1/2 the tank has been used, I get just about 100-110 miles with the remaining gas, till it reaches the 'reserve' mark.
My car has a 160bhp, 4-cylinder 24 valve engine....
Anyone else in here who's noticed the same thing ?
Old 2nd October 2006, 22:31   #54
Senior - BHPian

Taken from Official mahindra scorpio website regarding tips to save fuel:

Fuel Economy Get up to 25% more fuel efficiency from your Scorpio by following these tips.

1>. Remove the 3rd row to reduce fuel usage
Fill only as much fuel as needed. It reduces extra weight, unwanted spillage and evaporation losses. Don’t carry anything that’s not needed.

2>. More of them at : http://www.mahindrascorpio.com/scorp...4/SC_Tips.aspx

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 2nd October 2006 at 22:32.
Old 3rd October 2006, 10:12   #55
Senior - BHPian

@Nitin: Fuel gauges are never usually linear indicators. It is possible that the gauge is marked to show half way mark, including reserve. Reserve itself is usually quite a bit in modern cars as ACI tests of fiesta showed. In some cars it is other way around - the initial drop is sharp and thereafter it takes ages for the gauge to drop further.

@rahul: nice of Mahindra to worry about small weights here and there as compared to the heavy tank they built! On the contrary, I believe that it is always better to top up at half tanks, instead of waiting for 'E'/reserve. This must be done upto auto cut-off. This actually helps avoid evaporation losses, tank corrosion, etc.
Old 3rd October 2006, 11:58   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
Actually in the specs of the vehicle are mentioned laden weight and unladen weight by the manufacturer. Both of this is calculated with & without tank full. All this and many more considerations are taken into account while designing the powerplant. So, a tankfull or half tank makes a very negligible difference..
Yes that is done to show the weight of teh vehicle in dry(without fuel) & laiden conditions(full Fuel). And this has like we both agree has negligible difference

As about half tank giving more mileage, the fuel meters are not always 100% correct. I remember there was advert in papers for Cielo which showed how much fuel car had when the needle is at particular point & that did show that the indication is not linear
Old 3rd October 2006, 21:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Techno, at last somebody here agrees to my surmise..:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
Yes that is done to show the weight of teh vehicle in dry(without fuel) & laiden conditions(full Fuel). And this has like we both agree has negligible difference

As about half tank giving more mileage, the fuel meters are not always 100% correct. I remember there was advert in papers for Cielo which showed how much fuel car had when the needle is at particular point & that did show that the indication is not linear
Old 23rd December 2007, 00:23   #58
BANNED

My 2 Cents...
I stick to the same fuel station & generally try to fill it up early in the morning before the temperature goes up.
My Logic : hotter the temperature more the expansion of fuel.

I never fill the tank upto the brim. I also leave a 2 litre bottle at home as reserve. i do ensure i rotate that bottle every few months.
Old 23rd December 2007, 09:59   #59
Senior - BHPian

My method is Full tank to Full tank. Usually on every alternate Friday evening or on Monday morning.
She takes in 37-41 litres and lasts 2 weeks. I drive an NHC.

I have an issue, wanted to also ask experts here. The manufacturer stated capacity of a NHC tank is 42 litres. The last time i filled her up, the needle was just at the empty mark, and she took in 41.32 litres.. The amount of fuel dispensed reached 2000 Rs, so i asked him to stop. She would have taken in at least 2 liters more till the brim. How can a 42 litre tank take in 41.32 litres with still some more capacity left? Is it to do with fuel in the fuel line/ pipe which accounts for 2 litres above the stated capacity?
This has occurred in the past as well. I filled in 31 litres on one friday evening and next day morning (after no running)went to fill in a full tank, she took in 12.87 litres, which makes a total of 43.87 litres out of a 42 liter capacity.I have been filling in at this petrol pump for almost 7 months and did not suspect anything amiss. Is the petrol pump rigged?
Please let me have your views.
Old 23rd December 2007, 14:37   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
How can a 42 litre tank take in 41.32 litres with still some more capacity left? Is it to do with fuel in the fuel line/ pipe which accounts for 2 litres above the stated capacity?

Your filling station is rigged. Next time something similar happens, have a nice discussion with the manager; and look at his reaction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks