Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2007, 16:01   #61
Senior - BHPian

Full in winter

Keep the tank full pretty much especially with diesels, especially in the winter. Reason? Keep water out of the fuel, water from condensed air, not from the fuel bunkers. On days where the weather is cold at night and warm during the day the danger exists that a tank that is too empty will take in air the water in which will condense out into the fuel. This happens in winter particularly so keep the tank at or near full in weather that causes water to condense out of the air. This probably is of no revelence to you guys down south but up here in the big hills it is a bit more important.
Old 23rd December 2007, 16:42   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hi hrman,

> I have been filling in at this petrol pump for almost 7 months and did not
> suspect anything amiss. Is the petrol pump rigged?

You need not think that the pump is rigged based on this experience. When I took delivery of my CVT almost 3 months back, I was told that though the tank capacity is 42 litres, it could take upto 5 litres more if filled to the brim. There is some space for expansion and the tube which connects the tank to the fuel filler opening also holds a good quantity.

> I filled in 31 litres on one friday evening and next day morning (after no
> running)went to fill in a full tank, she took in 12.87 litres, which makes a
> total of 43.87 litres out of a 42 liter capacity.

On the day I took delivery it took 38.51 litres to fill to the brim with the reserve light on. Recently after 451kms and the reserve light on it took 38.51 litres (again). Even with a nominal 5 litres that would be 43.51 litres!

The City fuel guage is very non linear!
Old 23rd December 2007, 16:54   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi hrman,

> I have been filling in at this petrol pump for almost 7 months and did not
> suspect anything amiss. Is the petrol pump rigged?

You need not think that the pump is rigged based on this experience. When I took delivery of my CVT almost 3 months back, I was told that though the tank capacity is 42 litres, it could take upto 5 litres more if filled to the brim. There is some space for expansion and the tube which connects the tank to the fuel filler opening also holds a good quantity.

> I filled in 31 litres on one friday evening and next day morning (after no
> running)went to fill in a full tank, she took in 12.87 litres, which makes a
> total of 43.87 litres out of a 42 liter capacity.

On the day I took delivery it took 38.51 litres to fill to the brim with the reserve light on. Recently after 451kms and the reserve light on it took 38.51 litres (again). Even with a nominal 5 litres that would be 43.51 litres!

The City fuel gauge is very non linear!
Thanks so much Dr. Rajesh. I have been following your posts from the Tata Indica Users group during my earlier Indica days and found your posts to be very informative and simple to understand. Glad to see you here..

On the topic, so that may not necessarily mean the pump is rigged. Ok. thanks once again.
Old 23rd December 2007, 17:39   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
This probably is of no revelence to you guys down south but up here in the big hills it is a bit more important.
Thanks for the tip.

During Dec/Jan even Bangalore witnesses very cold nights(by our standards) and hot sunny afternoons <thanks to the "global warming" >
Old 23rd December 2007, 19:16   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hi hrman,

> Thanks so much Dr. Rajesh. I have been following your posts from the Tata
> Indica Users group during my earlier Indica days and found your posts to be
> very informative and simple to understand. Glad to see you here

I am still in TIUG with my Marina. Thank you for the kind words.

> On the topic, so that may not necessarily mean the pump is rigged.

On this count, I will definitely give the advantage of doubt to the pump. Moreover you have been with him for years now.
Old 31st December 2007, 15:05   #66
Senior - BHPian

depends on time and requirements

when i go to the company operated pumps i full the tank....else i put 500 - 700 bucks fuel ...
Old 1st January 2008, 22:28   #67
BANNED

Pump rigging by say 5% is pretty common. However, before blaming the pump one may note that the tank capacity can differ by a litre or two. The tank size is the 'average' size. Furthernore, the stated figure is rounded to a convenient number. How will we react if the tank was stated as 41.35litres!

Fumes in modern emission controlled cars are not an issue. The tank is semi-sealed, and the canister absorbs the fumes which are then sucked back when the engine is running.

As for full or half it is a matter of convenience. I prefer full to full since it gives me a (rough) check on my consumption. Rough since there may be an error of even a couple of litres in the 'full'. My records show that invariably when I have an unusual consumption figure the next tankful goes the other way.
Old 2nd January 2008, 09:10   #68
BHPian

I go with full tank filling every time for checking the FE. During every filling, I shake the vehicle so that the trapped air comes out and I can fill it to the brim. The FE readings are fairly accurate with this method. I don't trust the low fuel warning lamp for FE checking as many do.
Old 2nd January 2008, 09:45   #69
BHPian

Usually if the tank is topped up it will accomodate 1.5 - 2 litres additional to the specified capacity.This is my experience with my Santro since 3 years irrespective of petrol pums.
Old 2nd January 2008, 10:02   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravbasu View Post
1. What is your Car ?
2. Which of the above practises you follow to refill the car ?
3. How much of fuel you generally fill in each time (on average)?
4. Why do you feel your practise is good for your car ?

1.Hyundai Elantra CRDi

2.I always get the tank filled to the brim

3. 50-55litres

4.Tankfull saves precious time by minimum visits to petrol pump and helps me calculate fuel consumption every time i tank up,for additional weight my car is torquey enough and any minor difference in fuel consumption or acceleration wont hurt me because i waste a lot of fuel idling or accelerating madly.
Old 2nd January 2008, 10:40   #71
Senior - BHPian

i use a verna crdi,i always do full tanks.lesser fuel pump visits,some times i do about 30-35 litres and some times about 40 litres.i get average 15 kmpl in all till date.i have kept a log of all the fuel top ups till date.OT once i had filled in from an unknown pump and the guy put in 48 litres wherein i belive the tank capacity of verna is 45 litres and ofcourse i had about 5 litres in tank.
ram
Old 2nd January 2008, 10:48   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My cars are topped up (full tank) each Sunday or Monday (depending on the car), irrespective of how much fuel is still left in the tank. Generally, about a half tank is used up in the week.

Its also a good time to do a quick visual inspection on the car, and top up all other fluids (oil, coolant etc.) and correct air pressure.
Old 2nd January 2008, 12:06   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
i use a verna crdi,i always do full tanks.lesser fuel pump visits,some times i do about 30-35 litres and some times about 40 litres.i get average 15 kmpl in all till date.i have kept a log of all the fuel top ups till date.OT once i had filled in from an unknown pump and the guy put in 48 litres wherein i belive the tank capacity of verna is 45 litres and ofcourse i had about 5 litres in tank.
ram
Hi Ram

how much do u get out of your CRDi with in city..B2B traffic?

is that normal verna CRDi or verna SX
Old 2nd January 2008, 15:40   #74
Team-BHP Support

Tank Full till auto cut.

Drive about 370 kms or so till next fill.

If far away from my regular bunk then not more than 500 bucks worth of fuel.

Exception: Highway and Reliance bunk buy 1k worth of fuel.
Old 2nd January 2008, 16:01   #75
Senior - BHPian

Tank full to tank full.

Always go to trusted pumps (till you catch them cheating you!).

Most Viewed