Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2016, 00:58   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tips on filling fuel

Floating roofs are to be found only in tanks in the storage yards and not in an automobile.

The underground storage tanks in a fuel station are not connected to each other. Further when filling fuel the corresponding pumps are in any case switched off. Getting debris (if those are there) from another dispenser in the same station is improbable.

Scenario #5 of filling a different amount than asked for has never ever happened in the three plus decades that I have been buying fuel.

Scenario #6 is again not very likely to happen because one always checks the amount punched in to the card machine before feeding the pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I read this article on musclecars zone and found it very helpful. The article has tips, which helps you get maximum fuel everytime you go to a fuel station.

4. So, more fuel means less air and less evaporation, although some tanks have floating roofs to prevent this problem.

5. Whenever there is a petrol truck at the gas station that is pumping gas into the underground reservoirs, move on and stop at another one! By refueling your car during that time, you might get some dirt with your petrol in your tank that will cause you additional problems.

While I knew about point 1 and 2 the rest have really been an eye opener. In addition to this I ensure to follow below:
5. You ask attendant to fill 20L but he fills only 10L. Now you tell him that you had requested for 20 and he acts as if he has not heard properly and tells he would add another 10. I always say thank you, 10 is enough for now and shut the fuel cap. The chances are very high that they try to confuse you and fill incorrect amount/overcharge.
6.Lastly after paying the bill, cross verify the card receipt,message in phone. I have had atleast 3 instance where the attendant overcharged and refunded in cash.

Completely agree with you Sree73.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
This fuel return pipe mechanism news is a hoax. Do not pay heed to this.
Old 23rd December 2016, 13:18   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: How do you refill your fuel tank? What is the best practice?

Car : Dzire VDI

Which of the above practises you follow to refill the car:
full tank, top up always. I generally refuel when the tank is at the halfway mark,

How much of fuel you generally fill in each time (on average):
Around 26lts of diesel and around 1500-1800 depending on which way the government decides to go with the prices. This is usually once a month, so I get the air checked up once a month as well.

Why do you feel your practise is good for your car

No specific reason, I have always done this for the past 10 years of driving my own cars and have found this method to work for me on a convenience stand point.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 12:03   #123
BHPian

Reviving an old thread to find answers around some myths related to fueling.
Need help from the experts!

1. Don't get a tankfull in summers - This is an advice being floated around, mentioning that some vacuum is created due to heat and can lead to explosions.
2. Don't fuel for exact multiples of Rs.100, mentioning some calibration issues/tampering.

For#1, Recently saw a clipping of National Geographic program wherein they try to explode cars with (almost zero, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full tank) of fuel. Contrary to popular belief, the car with the lowest fuel made the biggest bang and the full tank car didn't even budge! However this does not include the Summer heat scenario, as well as the vacuum effect(if any).

For#2, folks who fill till the 1st Auto-cut could care less, but majority of the folks seem to fill for Rs.500/1000 at a time. So what gives?

Appreciate any inputs/experiences.
Old 17th April 2017, 12:21   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
Reviving an old thread to find answers around some myths related to fueling.
Need help from the experts!

1. Don't get a tankfull in summers - This is an advice being floated around, mentioning that some vacuum is created due to heat and can lead to explosions.
2. Don't fuel for exact multiples of Rs.100, mentioning some calibration issues/tampering.

For#1, Recently saw a clipping of National Geographic program wherein they try to explode cars with (almost zero, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full tank) of fuel. Contrary to popular belief, the car with the lowest fuel made the biggest bang and the full tank car didn't even budge! However this does not include the Summer heat scenario, as well as the vacuum effect(if any).

For#2, folks who fill till the 1st Auto-cut could care less, but majority of the folks seem to fill for Rs.500/1000 at a time. So what gives?

Appreciate any inputs/experiences.
I have been filling my car tankful-to-tankful (auto-cut) irrespective of the season or the usage. I haven't faced any issue till date. I go for a refuel when there is enough fuel for about ~ 100kms in my car. Each refill is for 27-31 ltrs mostly and I have refuel 2-3 times every month.

Regarding the second point, I am clear of this practice but would wish to share my opinion. If calibration is an issue then anyone would face it irrespective of the amount. Just ensure you identify a good fuel bunk and try to stick to it ALWAYS. Ensure a Zero reading on the fuel dispenser before your topup starts.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 11:13   #125
BHPian

There is a video on this where a experiment was done with different levels of fuels in the tank. Will try and post the video here sometime. As a matter of fact, full tank did not explode when the residual charge was set.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 11:20   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
There is a video on this where a experiment was done with different levels of fuels in the tank.
I had already seen and mentioned about that video in my post, but they have used cars which are stationary, hence do not replicate the actual scenario.
Old 18th April 2017, 11:24   #127
BHPian

Quote:
I had already seen and mentioned about that video in my post, but they have used cars which are stationary, hence do not replicate the actual scenario.
How much does that change things?
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 11:52   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

I top up the tank of my Celerio every weekend. Since every week, I consume about half tank of petrol and sometimes less. However, I reserve sunday night before dinner for this. It gives me the following benefits:
  • I get to fill up when there is no crowd.
  • I will not be in a hurry and leave the place without topping up the tyres.
  • If I fill in between a journey, the tyres will be hot and tyre pressure wont be set correctly.
  • My commute time and routes arent reliable enough to accomodate a pitstop. A ten minute pitstop will increase travel time by ten more minutes since I always commute a little ahead of peak hour traffic and any delay will drown me in it.
  • I never have to bother about low fuel for those unplanned journeys and some sudden strike/fuel shortage.
  • I get to calculate FE on a weekly basis
Hence, I have been following this practice and have kind of got used to it. If running is not much, then it is a different story. Also, this time is also used to carry out a minor inspection of the car, topping up of the windshield washer fluid and so on. Helps to keep the car in top shape always.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 11:54   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
How much does that change things?
That is THE question!
Old 18th April 2017, 13:32   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't see a reason for this. I do this only on my bike, more for convenience sake of dealing with cash.

For car, its always full tank, though in some highway bunks I do tend to round off if dealing with cash. In the latter case, it is auto cutoff and fill to nearest multiple of 100.
---
For full tank, I've mostly filled to the brim in my car. Though I usually fill late in the evening, this again is more for convenience than a purpose.

Like Ashish, I've always stuck to a single pump when in town for all my vehicles. I also don't let it till reserve. At the most I've let till the warning comes up.

Last edited by narayans80 : 18th April 2017 at 13:34.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 20:07   #131
Senior - BHPian

I fill up between 8-9 in the mornings while going for work. Any earlier and the air top up guy wouldn't have started his shift and that would be an inconvenience for me. The perceived benefit of filling up early in the morning because of the supposedly denser fuel is an incentive too.

I always ask the attendants to fill till auto cut-off and not even a drop more. It helps that they know that I pay by card and hence don't try to round off the amount.

As far as possible I fill up at the same pump and try to use the same dispenser. The petrol bunk I regularly frequent has a slightly inclined entry and flooring and the car, when parked at different locations, takes in slightly different quantities of fuel for auto cut-off.

Apart from the regular bunk, I avoid buying petrol from other bunks unless it is COCO or a Shell.

Last edited by dailydriver : 18th April 2017 at 20:08.
Old 18th April 2017, 20:54   #132
BHPian

I am confused with the current rumors doing round. I normally fill the tank to full in my motorcycles and car. What I have observed is that my Yamaha R15 makes strange sound while standing still. When I inquired with the Service Engineer in my initial days of owning this machine, he said that it is the gas built in tank which is released that makes this sound. Then asked for my Swift at the MASS - they also informed that the latest car have the release mechanism of the excessive gas from the fuel tank. Does this stand true ?
Old 18th April 2017, 22:34   #133
Senior - BHPian

I fill up the tank like how audioholic does it. Sunday / Saturday night before dinner. Full tank each week. Indian oil supply co pump. Takes about 30-35 liters of diesel. Tire pressure check every alternate week, usually 1st and 3rd weekends of the month.

I rarely allow the tank to go below the quarter tank mark. But there are calculated instances in which I have done that, knowing I can get to my preferred pump.

I have read that the fuel pump is of wet type and the lubrication for the same is the fuel in the tank, so I prefer not to run it at empty scared of a fuel pump failure.

Is it recommended to clean the tank at regular intervals? If so, what are they? Can a regular service center do this job?
Old 18th April 2021, 14:40   #134
BHPian

Need your valuable suggestion, usually I will follow tank full to tank full method of refueling. However, now the usage of car is very minimal, in this scenario what method should I follow? If I follow the same method, will the fuel be evaporated due to minimal usage? Appreciate expert opinion.
Old 18th April 2021, 15:49   #135
BHPian

1. What is your Car ?
Creta 1.6 Petrol
2. Which of the above practises you follow to refill the car ?
Fill to the auto cutoff and not a drop more
3. How much of fuel you generally fill in each time (on average)?
40Litres
4. Why do you feel your practise
A.Avoid visiting feul pumps every now and then.
B.Peace of mind that the tank is full in case of emergency.
C.With ever increasing fuel prices you might get lucky to have a tank full at a lesser cost even if the difference is minimal.

Last edited by Artyom : 18th April 2021 at 15:51.
Artyom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks