Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2006, 13:16   #31
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Hmmm Vtec that's a different pump you are talking about right opposite the Ferns & petals right?

Can't vouch for him have only had refills from him a few times. I was talking about the next pump if you continue from there towards Moolchand after the bus stop.
Yup.. even I thought.. about that one.
I have never filled from this pump... which is basically inside GK1.
I don't think its a very famous pump!
Old 18th April 2006, 14:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat
Whenever I go to a PP I ask the attendent to leave his hands free of the lever and stand clear. Do this the next time and see if this could have been the reason why this happened.
Very true Venkat. To avoid being cheated ;
1. Take the trouble to get out of the car and be near the attendant when he is filling.
2. Ask him to set the pump to either the required quantity or amount or auto-cutoff.
3. Ask him to take his hands off and to stay clear till the pump has finished dispensing.
Old 18th April 2006, 14:38   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
Yup.. even I thought.. about that one.
I have never filled from this pump... which is basically inside GK1.
I don't think its a very famous pump!
yeah its the one oppostie ferns and petal's
doubt i'll be refilling from there again..
a bit OT: dont you think the FE that honda claims of 14.5 or whatever + - .5
is taking the fuel tank to be 42litres and acutally pumping in 46-47litres?!?!

another add on to the story..my honda's fuel needle is usually at midway when its done 210km or so..write now its done 220 km..n its like just 1/4th used!!! so i expect it to go above 500km this time..for the first time ever..maybe he actually did pump in 44 litres..and the meter wasnt actually running fast..
Old 18th April 2006, 14:40   #34
BHPian

The honda's stated fuel tank capacity is 45 ltrs(OHC),but there is a 2-3ltr reserve which is not mentioned.

I believe most cars have a reserve of 2-3ltrs,so dont be surprised if u fill in a few more litres of fuel in an empty tank.The gas stations wont mess around with the quantity,its always the quality of fuel.
Old 18th April 2006, 15:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

How would the extra capacity affect FE ? If we calculate from top-up to top-up.

When I took delivery of the Baleno .. the dealer mentioned it had at most half litre of fuel. They gave me a coupon for 5 litres of petrol at a station 1/2 km away. I filled up the 5L and drove to my regular station 20 odd kms away. Topped up there. It took in 47.8 L. So it had 3.2 L in the tank (of the 5.5 L) assuming the 51L on paper capacity - which seems more or less ok.
Old 18th May 2006, 17:04   #36
BHPian

Guys,

I had recently posted a new thread which the mod's has closed as its pretty similar to this one..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-de...tml#post230153

Now,My question is everytime there is a difference in the way we do a tank-full
eg:

1.Fill till auto-shut off.As mentioned in this thread,the auto-shut off may go off at different settings and the setting may vary from pump to pump !

2.if we fill till the brim,again there is a difference as to how exact the filling is ? Should we fill till the petrol oozes out of the cap indicating that its full till the brim??

I need a precise way to calculate the mileage...I am not a mileage conscious person but want to have a fair idea for my new car - thats all..its already run 800 km's now....

Last edited by nitinhegde : 18th May 2006 at 17:06.
Old 18th May 2006, 18:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde
1.Fill till auto-shut off.As mentioned in this thread,the auto-shut off may go off at different settings and the setting may vary from pump to pump !
Exactly. If you want to get a correct idea of the FE, you have to stick to the same petrol pump and the same dispenser.

Quote:
2.if we fill till the brim,again there is a difference as to how exact the filling is ? Should we fill till the petrol oozes out of the cap indicating that its full till the brim??
Filling till the brim is not recommended by the car manufacturers (check your manual - MUL has it in the manual). Instead, ask the guy to put the nozzle in fully, set it to auto-off and ask him to take his hands off. When it auto-cuts off, stop and fill no more. Do the same process the 2nd time also and the FE calc should be accurate to a great extent.

Quote:
I need a precise way to calculate the mileage...I am not a mileage conscious person but want to have a fair idea for my new car - thats all..its already run 800 km's now....
There is nothing wrong in being FE conscious. Infact with rising fuel prices, we need to be very conscious. Heck, even the carefree Americans are conscious today.
Old 18th May 2006, 18:51   #38
BHPian

hey guys,
slightly , but still.yesterday i went to a bp petrol pump(vikram petrol pump,versova mumbai).i came and parked on the left side of a zen.....the guy was filling it up and the owner was sitting inside,not paying attention.the guy kept on filling till the brim...till now all ok.....but then he looked at the owner....who still wasnt paying attention to him..so he started again....the fuel started overflowing ( that being his objective ).he must have filled atleast a liter or two extra....so guys.especially in that area...beware.and get out of ur car no matter what..
Old 18th May 2006, 18:58   #39
BHPian

In times of High Petrol Cost , such utter waste-age...I would partly blame the owner also....Who just could'nt manage to squeeze 2 min out of his schedule to step out and observe the filling..!

According the Lancer Showroom- The Lancer has around 8 litre capacity for reserve fuel, which is used when the light indicates..! The best practice you can follow is that you can specify a certain amount for which fuel can be pumped or You specify the Litres of Fuel you need...! Usually I never fill more than 1000-1500 worth of Power , which lasts us a week or more...!

Please step out, each and every time you fill up fuel...Not Only will it enable to have a view on whats happening, Plus it also serves to protect you..just incase there might be an accident or diasater...! ( This is not applicable,when you have family along)..But I have noticed the same for CNG pumps where they ask you and the passengers to step out and wait...Considering the fact that Petrol has a lower ignition point than CNG ...Petrol being more Volatile than CNG...!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 18th May 2006 at 19:02.
Old 18th May 2006, 20:12   #40
ECM
BHPian

DO this,it pays!
Whenever u fill your tank FULL,Tell the pp guy in advance that You will do this honourable duty and not him!Take the nozzle and put it into the tanks before he say anything.Wait for his reply,if he says no,take out the nozzle and see the difference.I always use my hands and dont depand on him to fill my car,worth trying.
Old 18th May 2006, 20:16   #41
ECM
BHPian

Best time to fill your car is either at 11 P.M or 7 A.M when there is no traffic and no one sees you filling the tank and get a wrong picture of yours as a PP guy,An important msg for those who are single and at an age of 20+..haha Kidding!
Old 19th May 2006, 04:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM
DO this,it pays!
Whenever u fill your tank FULL,Tell the pp guy in advance that You will do this honourable duty and not him!Take the nozzle and put it into the tanks before he say anything.Wait for his reply,if he says no,take out the nozzle and see the difference.I always use my hands and dont depand on him to fill my car,worth trying.
Whatss the logic here?
Old 19th May 2006, 07:54   #43
ECM
BHPian

No logic,just to verify him if he is doing any tricks while filling the tank.I always fill up my tank by myself and it has given me the most suitable results.I don't know how they do this but after a deep observation suggest that they stop in btwn while filling up the fuel which may be the reason why most of members shout for bad FE,I always keep a regular pressure on nozzle when I start feeling my tank and when its full it stops automatically.I get optimum results on the trick I showed here so advise all worth trying.As I have said do this duty when there is no traffic on station so PP guy will also stand near you and see you filling up your tank without any arguements.In short It has paid me and giving me super FE in my car.
Old 19th May 2006, 11:01   #44
BHPian

I think if the auto-shutoff is on,there is no point in filling it yrself....the petrol pump guy anyway doesnot hold it while filling....
He puts the nozzle inside the tank, switches on the auto-shutoff,takes off his hand and simply takes the nozzle out when the auto-shutoff cuts the fuel supply...if you ensure zero before he puts the nozzle in then I think its fine.
-Fill your tank at very reputed petrol pumps.
-Ensure that you come out of the car and observe the routine.

One more thing you can do if you go to a single pump(reputed one) is :
Tip the guy rs 10 everytime...he will remember you and serve you well.There is no harm in doing this when you fill Petrol worth thousands of rupees !

Last edited by nitinhegde : 19th May 2006 at 11:03.
Old 19th May 2006, 11:58   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM
Whenever u fill your tank FULL,Tell the pp guy in advance that You will do this honourable duty and not him! I always use my hands and dont depand on him to fill my car,worth trying.
Well, if I were allowed to fuel up myself, that would be bliss - I would ask for nothing more. But then, I am not sure they will allow you to do it, atleast in Chennai. I am waiting for the day (quite far off though, due to cheap labour here) when we will have self-service dispensers like in the US etc. Then, I would not only be sure of the quantity that I get, but be also able to measure the FE of my car most accurately.

Most Viewed