Team-BHP - fuel tank 42lt.- fuel in-44lt.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   fuel tank 42lt.- fuel in-44lt. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/12319-fuel-tank-42lt-fuel-44lt.html)

well today..the weirdest thing happened..
i as usual..had gone to get my honda city's tank full..from BP..
assuming the FE my car is giving me..i still had around 3-4 litres left in the tank
so as usual..was gettin speed filled in.. and the auto cut mechanism worked at around 40.5 litres..and im like woah..i just had 1.5 litres left or something..then i told him to fill it up.after 15 seconds i looked up and saw the gauge at 44 and still counting!!!!!
and im like what the......!?!?!! i told him to stop immediately and asked him how its possible as my tank is only 42 litres..!! he didnt say anything..i said i want to check the accuracy of the pump..he showed me..and it was correct..so all i could do was pay the money and leave..but then how the hell did this happen?!!?!?!

boss, which pump was that ? plz share so that we wd b careful!

the one near archana, gk1..near moolchand flyover..im a regular customer there though..!

Quote:

Originally Posted by v.tec
the one near archana, gk1..near moolchand flyover..im a regular customer there though..!

Is it the same pump owned by Shell.... but it supplies BP?

That is a fine pump!... but its a very fast one!... .. my tank takes 28-29 ltr... within a minute.

Normally.. cars can take... 1-2ltrs extra... i.e. in the pipe that leads to the tank. But it is very difficult.... and takes a lot of effort.
1) you had no fuel .. and tank was completely empty.
2) no air inside!

you say you checked the "accuracy of the pump". how did you do this? i smell something fishy going on at that pump.

Oye VTEC this is definatly fishy ... and how did u check the accuracy of the pump ?

All pumps have a measuring beaker in which if you ask to test the accuracy they will fill petrol infront of you to show you that the pump is dispensing the correct amount of fuel. The beaker has markings on it to show how much fuel is being pumped out.

As for that pump I think it is one of the most trusted and finest pumps in Delhi. I regularly go there to fill Petrol & get my car washed.

it is not unusual for a tank to contain another 3-4 ltrs of petrol even after that auto-stop of dispensing nozzle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLK
Is it the same pump owned by Shell.... but it supplies BP?

That is a fine pump!... but its a very fast one!... .. my tank takes 28-29 ltr... within a minute.

Normally.. cars can take... 1-2ltrs extra... i.e. in the pipe that leads to the tank. But it is very difficult.... and takes a lot of effort.
1) you had no fuel .. and tank was completely empty.
2) no air inside!

i very much had atleast 3-4 litres left...and that guy had gone on and on filling..i stopped him..otherwise i'm sure he must have put in a few more litres..
@ SLK : no its not the one owned by shell...that ones at the beginning of the moolchand flyover..

@iraghava : yeah i trusted that pump too..we get our petrol from only two pumps..around gk.. either this or another one in nehru place..that too being BP

yeah he did do it the way iraghava said..got a beaker and told me its 5 litres..and it came at exactly the same amount

@revharder : yeah you're right about that..but then that means the auto cut should have cut in around 38... and not at 40.5 and then moving on another 4 litres lol..

Quote:

Originally Posted by v.tec
@revharder : yeah you're right about that..but then that means the auto cut should have cut in around 38... and not at 40.5 and then moving on another 4 litres lol..

there is no hard and fast rule of auto-stop of dispenser to cut at some exact level. sometimes it cuts even when tank is half full (or half empty!).
try closing the door (near to filler) a bit hardly , while petrol is filling; it might get auto-stopped.

so donot take that auto-cut as some point of measurement!

does the nhc have a 45 liter tank right. i fill it up as soon as the reserve comes in. though when i start filling not more than 30 - 35 goes in so the reserve is 10 litres ?

@ jesal..
i know about nhc zx .. which has a tank of 42 litres.. reserve is 8 litres..

Vtec, what time of the day did you fill up? Many a times you would notice a 5 lit. plastic oil can kept next to the dispenser. On most occassions you will find that it contains fuel rather than oil. What these guys do is, empty the fuel in the hose into these cans. so when they fill your car and since the gun is inside the tank inlet you won't be able to see that for quite some time the fuel would not have actually come out of the gun, enevthough the pump shows the running numbers. They do this only with people who fill their tanks

I don't think this could have happened in your case because you claim that this is quite a reputed outlet.

So long....

Some time back in Mumbai there was a series of scams being exposed by PPs. One trick was to hold the nozzle lever at some half way point. Then the petrol would be slower to fill but the meter would be faster.

Newspapers also carried this in great details.

Whenever I go to a PP I ask the attendent to leave his hands free of the lever and stand clear. Do this the next time and see if this could have been the reason why this happened.

Venkat

Yaar, do not get so overworked on this issue. If this pump is a really trusted one then their could also be a lot more things involved. On thing is that although the tank has a prescribed size that does not really mean it will fill up exactly till that much and then start overflowing. The tank has lot of twists and turns to fit around the car body. This makes it take more fuel at times. To see an analogy try filling up a 10 or 15 liter jerrican the next time. You will see that you can even fill up the hollow of the grip of this jerrican and then fill it up to the brim and it will easily take in 1 or 1.5 ltrs more. Besides that there are pipes/hoses running from the fuel tank which can add up the capacity by another few liters.

After all these, now consider at what time of the day did you go to fill up? Depending on the atmospheric temperature and also the pressure the fuel density can increase or decrease. This may result in more or less fuel going in for the same units displayed by the pump. Have you heard of the suggestions to fill up early in the morning or late at nights? That is because you stand to get more for the same unit of fuel pumped in.