Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2012, 16:49   #1
BHPian

How do you read a Ford Ikon Tensioner?

Hi all
I'm having issues with the serpentine belt on my Ikon. I have replaced the tensioner, but I'm having issues with the belt- but maybe not. It all depends on the right way to read the tensioner. I wanted to know whether:
How do you read a Ford Ikon Tensioner?-tensioner.jpg
1. A is tension okay and B is excess
2. A is tension on the verge of being too little, and B is okay.

The graphic is something I just came up with in MS Paint, I know it looks ridiculous.
Old 14th July 2012, 15:10   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How do you read a Ford Ikon Tensioner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
...I have replaced the tensioner, but I'm having issues with the belt- but maybe not. It all depends on the right way to read the tensioner.
Not quite sure what you are trying to indicate in the diagram. I presume you mean the V-belt driving the alternator/AC compressor/water pump was replaced, along with the belt tension adjustment device (tensioner).

Is the belt too loose/too tight? Check for correct tightness by checking that the deflection on the longest section of the belt is about 0.5-0.75 inch when pressed hard with your thumb (about 2-3 kg of force).

The position of the tensioner will be dictated by the amount of slack in the belt which the tensioner is taking up, and will vary from belt to belt and between an old and a new belt.

Edit: Photographs might help to highlight what it is that you want to know.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 14th July 2012 at 15:13.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 15:26   #3
BHPian

The belt is automatically adjusted in the ikon. Please post pictures of what you have done in ms paint...)
Old 14th July 2012, 18:51   #4
BHPian

Here the thing: I replaced the tensioner and belt, but it still slips. Now, if the tensioner is twisted with a ring spanner while the engine is running, to a position where it would have more tension (this loosens the belt in practice, but it is where a smaller belt would keep it), the belt climbs the pulley and stays there. My diagnosis- too little tension on the new belt. However, I have to read the marking on the tensioner. What I'm not sure is whether the big indent on the tensioner is the TOTAL RANGE, or whether it is the LIMIT/DANGER ZONE.
P.S. I have added a picture of my old tensioner. The bolt broke when I removed it, I have replaced it with another for the sake of taking the picture. It indicated the tensioner at min tension, way over the mark. It turns clockwise when tensioned. What I want to know is whether the mark on the tensioner is the total range or absolute limit.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you read a Ford Ikon Tensioner?-img_20120714_184624.jpg  

Old 14th July 2012, 20:22   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
I have to read the marking on the tensioner. What I'm not sure is whether the big indent on the tensioner is the TOTAL RANGE, or whether it is the LIMIT/DANGER ZONE.
The notch on the left is the ideal pre-tension setting. The raised block towards the right is a stop, to prevent over-tightening.

Irrespective of the position of the notch, with an after-market belt, please adjust belt tension by checking the deflection of the belt manually.

Adjustments to the tensioner are STRICTLY to be avoided with the engine running, for safety purposes.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 23:54   #6
BHPian

Aha... now it makes sense to me. The notch is the "too loose" setting and the raised block is "max tension".

The tensioner fiddling with the engine running was a pure diagnostic with appropriate safety measures taken. It looks like I now have more troubleshooting to do.

Thanks a lot, you have made things very clear.
Old 15th July 2012, 09:50   #7
BHPian

Okay, it looks like I got it reversed in my sleep deprived state last night. As the belt loses tension, the tensioner will rotate counter-clockwise. So if it is at the notch, it is as tight as it can be. If it is at the raised block, it is quite loose.
Old 15th July 2012, 19:29   #8
Team-BHP Support

I really couldn't make out much from the diagram or the pic. The bolt that is posted holds the tensioner pulley? If you can take a picture showing the whole assembly (wider angle) might give better understanding of the part.

My understanding the tensioner should not move around once its set (move around=loosen or tighten), its supposed to be tightened and then hold the belt tension there. Doing it while engine running is a bigger mistake. Its the belt that can get loosened coz of usage/stretch. As the belt loosens, the tensioner needs to be moved to tighten the belt. This can be done by just adjusting the tensioner bolt, if there is a check nut loosen it first.

I have noticed two types of adjustment, one is a simple bolt type where you tighten the bolt and correspondingly the tensioner tightens up the belt. The other type is the whole assembly can be moved clock wise or anti clock wise to adjust the belt.

Ensure the engine is cold and use your thumb to press the belt at the mid point between two pulleys to see if its loose or tight.

The notches as SS-T mentioned might be the end position, for full loose or full tighten.
Old 16th July 2012, 01:43   #9
BHPian

Finally everything has been set right. After a hell lot of money spent on mechanics who couldn't diagnose the issue, I fixed it- even with the replaced tensioner.

Now the tensioner on the Ikon is spring loaded- simply wrench it, put on the belt, and release. There is no way to "set" the tension per se.

The bolt does indeed hold the tensioner. And the bolt was loose, causing the pulley to mis-align. I fixed it today, and couldn't be happier. No more slipping, no more tensioning issues. I checked the tension manually as you suggested. I feel 2240 must be the right belt length, aftermarket manufacturers have had eight years to come up with the right numbers! On the other hand, if the belt is the right length, then the raised bump is indeed the complete range and not the "warning" region.
Now I have a spare completely fine tensioner (minus the bolt). Might sell it off to some poor soul who needs one.
RM2488 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks