Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2012, 11:48   #1
BHPian

Restoration of my Premier Padmini

Hi everybody,

I need help from all possible corners, as you can see from the title of this thread, I am going for restoration of our 'Premier Padmini Deluxe BE' (lets just say, fiat) that we bought about 25 years ago. This is my first thread on team-bhp or should I say in my life! I have always been a mute spectator here, but after a few meets with fellow bhpians I have decided to open up and share my thoughts and feelings with you guys and seek your expertise.

At the outset itself, I would like to state that I am a complete noob when it comes to the technical aspects of cars and bikes and this is going to be a long story. Kindly ignore my ignorance (ha ha) and bear with me. My dad bought our fiat in December, 1987 (I was 7 years old) when he didn’t even know how to drive. Below are a couple of snaps which we took when we bought it home.

Til date it has done a little over 1 lac kms of which about 90% was logged by my dad. It was regularly serviced and cared for by my dad, so much that even I was not allowed to drive it (even after I turned 18). I applied the story of jackal & sour grapes to me and stayed away from our fiat. I knew that driving is in my blood, but couldn’t convince my family to let me learn & drive our fiat. It’s a shame that I learned to drive at a driving school (didn’t stall even once in those 15 days of training) and worse still I have not logged a single km in my fiat till date.

Gradually, the Pune traffic worsened day by day and dad seldom took our fiat in Pune. Its commute was restricted to the PCMC area. The car had started to rust in few places. Whenever we told dad to either sell it or restore it, his standard reply was ‘we will use it for another year and then sell it’. Though there were never any big issues, but minor things cropped up every now and then due to low mileage done by it. Things got worse for our fiat after the Alto joined our family in April 2009. Now dad preferred to be driven around in the Alto (he doesn’t want to learn the Alto, citing the traffic excuse). Now the even the occasional running of the fiat had altogether stopped. For days and weeks it stood under the sky and faced the scorching heat and the rains. Once a month I get a call from a guy (who took my number from the guy who washes the Alto daily) asking if I am interested in selling the fiat. He is a small time dealer/broker and wants to sell the fiat in Mumbai as a taxi. One day I was having a chat with one of my society member (who didn’t knew the fiat belongs to my family). Our talks steered to cars and ….
He: Have you seen the khatara ambassador in our society.
Me: There is no ambassador in our society and what you are talking about, is my fiat.
He: ohh.. I am sorry. I didn’t mean it.
Me:
With a heavy heart and a fallen head I move on. I have always had a soft corner for our fiat. It is special in so many ways. I remember when we (4 guys, 3 ladies and 4 kids) went for a holiday in it. The numerous times we went to our village and stuffed people in it and had joy rides. I could no longer see the beloved fiat rot in rust and dying a slow death in front of my eyes. Few days later I muster the courage to talk to my dad.

The scene : lunch hour in our office.
Cast: me, dad and my sister.
Me: dad, I need some money.
Dad: How much?
Me: About 35,000/-
Dad & sister (with eyebrows raised): What for?
Me: I want to restore our fiat
Dad: But why? And even if we restore it, it will have to be driven around to keep it in good condition.
Me: If we restore it, I will stop using the Alto for minor errands and take the fiat.
Sister (lets out a loud laugh and gives a shocked expression): I never thought even in my dreams that you would like to drive the fiat.
Me: That car is a classic. Petrol heads would never let go a chance to own it. The exhaust is music to ears and if properly restored its gonna be a head turner.
Dad: Well if you are ready to drive it around for a few hundred kms every month, I have no problem. Rather than spending 5-6 lakhs on a new car for a monthly running of 500-600 kms, this option is cheaper. But I don’t want any unnecessary expenditure. Just make it road worthy and reliable. You can choose the colour you want.

Voila! Mission accomplished.

Coming up soon, pics of the car as on date and other details.

thanks for the patience.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of my Premier Padmini-premier.jpg  

Restoration of my Premier Padmini-premier-1-custom.jpg  

Last edited by altoman : 16th July 2012 at 19:16.
altoman is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 12:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Restoration of my Premier Padmini

Dear Altoman - please PM me your mobile number, I'll call you. I work in Pimpri only, I will see the car and guide you in totality. Please don't do anything till then. You can see all the detailed posts of my 4 fiats in this forum.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 12:43   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Altoman - please PM me your mobile number, I'll call you. I work in Pimpri only, I will see the car and guide you in totality. Please don't do anything till then. You can see all the detailed posts of my 4 fiats in this forum.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Sir,

I am quite excited about your reply. Thanks a lot and I really mean it. I have read some of the posts/thread by you and had wishful thinking that I get guidance from someone like you.

My residence and office is in Pimpri Chowk bang opposite the PCMC building.

thanks,
Altoman

Last edited by altoman : 16th July 2012 at 19:08.
Old 16th July 2012, 12:57   #4
SMK
BHPian

Nice way to put up a story there altoman, waiting for the details about the restoration, are you done with it? or is it WIP? Anyways all the best! Looking forward to know more about the car.

Keep us posted!
Old 16th July 2012, 19:04   #5
BHPian

@SMK - The restoration is yet to begin. I had a talk with our fellow bhpian Mr. DHABHAR.BEHRAMji in the afternoon today. And he will personally see the car in 2/3 days.

My main objective to restore the car is to make it road worthy and reliable. I won't mind if it is not a head turner. I want to be relaxed while driving with no fear of what issue will crop up. The car will driven strictly in city and no highways / long distance traveling in it.

As of now I am attaching the pics of my car as on date. One can clearly see how desperately it needs attention. I have already got a quote from a mechanic whose garage is right next to my office. The list (I couldn't understand half the words in it) is as under:
  • Door Patta – (3*210) – 630/-
  • Boot bottom patch – 200/-
  • Rear bumper patta – 480/-
  • Boot corner – 340/-
  • Boot thali – 450/-
  • Running board (RHS) – 1200/-
  • LHS mudguard patch – 220/-
  • Body finishing – 2000/-
  • Body welding (welding rod + gas + carbote) – 2000/-
  • Full painting (metallic) – 17000/-
  • Roof tapestry - 1600/- (or may be 600/-)
  • Door panel ply wood (4*160) – 640/-
  • Door panel rexin + foam (4*180) – 720/-
  • Door beading 1 set – 980/-
  • Door garnish patta 1 set – 650/-
  • _______ 1 set – 780/-
  • Rear glass & windshield rubber - 1320/-
  • Tail light set glass 1 set – 180/-
  • Reverse light glass – 50/-
  • Number plate light assembly – 430/-
  • Front parking light glass – 80/-
  • Head light ring 1 set – 380/-
  • Glass filming – 850/-
  • Floor matting set – 1150/-
Total – 36,030/-

Note that the above does not include any technical work to be carried out (if any). Dad has told me that being driven single hand, there will not be any major work to be done. Also a few years ago some 'half-engine' work was done (I have no idea what it means).

Having waited for so many years, I am ready to wait for a few more days and will start the project only after a go from you guys and Behramji. Request everybody to please advice on the restoration job.

thanks,
altoman
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of my Premier Padmini-dsc00822-large.jpg  

Restoration of my Premier Padmini-dsc00845-large.jpg  

Restoration of my Premier Padmini-dsc00824-large.jpg  

Restoration of my Premier Padmini-dsc00829-large.jpg  

Restoration of my Premier Padmini-dsc00834-large.jpg  

Restoration of my Premier Padmini-dsc00835-large.jpg  

Restoration of my Premier Padmini-dsc00836-large.jpg  

Restoration of my Premier Padmini-dsc00841-large.jpg  

Restoration of my Premier Padmini-dsc00837-large.jpg  

Restoration of my Premier Padmini-dsc00838-large.jpg  

Restoration of my Premier Padmini-dsc00826-large.jpg  

Restoration of my Premier Padmini-dsc00839-large.jpg  

Restoration of my Premier Padmini-dsc00843-large.jpg  

Restoration of my Premier Padmini-dsc00847-large.jpg  

Restoration of my Premier Padmini-dsc00848-large.jpg  

Last edited by altoman : 16th July 2012 at 19:09.
altoman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 10:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the photos by the way where are you in those photos?, I am also planning to buy a Padmini, few ads are there in Classifieds in teambhp itself. I want to restore it and use sparingly on weekends. It was my favourite car in childhood days. Whom can I approach for restoration work in Bangalore
Old 18th July 2012, 10:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see yet another restoration thread in TBhp!!

We hardly get to see such Padmini pics when brand new! Awesome!

Restoration costs totally might come upto 80k minimum if done with best practices.

All the best for the restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Thanks for the photos by the way where are you in those photos?, I am also planning to buy a Padmini, few ads are there in Classifieds in teambhp itself. I want to restore it and use sparingly on weekends. It was my favourite car in childhood days. Whom can I approach for restoration work in Bangalore
You can reach the Bangy Fiat Club Guys on Facebook Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB] page.

Last edited by funkykar : 18th July 2012 at 10:56.
Old 18th July 2012, 10:38   #8
BHPian

Nice story Altoman. Glad to know that you're restoring your fiat.
All the best and please keep us updated.

Cheers
Old 18th July 2012, 10:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

How much we wish that those thin white wall tires shown on first two pictures were available now. We miss them a lot. Love your period pictures.
Old 18th July 2012, 11:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nice Nostalgic story Altoman. Even we had a "Fiat" when I was a kid and sadly was sold off before I could start driving, don't even have pictures of it. Wish you all the very best in the restoration and if you have DB to guide you, you definitely need not worry. If I had one to restore, this would be the look I would go for:(Image taken from Net)
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of my Premier Padmini-fiat.jpg  

Old 18th July 2012, 11:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
If I had one to restore, this would be the look I would go for:(Image taken from Net)
Dear Maverick5490 - thanks for your gracious comments. The car could maybe look like this also. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of my Premier Padmini-cimg8190.jpg  

Restoration of my Premier Padmini-061120115596.jpg  

DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 11:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Maverick5490 - thanks for your gracious comments. The car could maybe look like this also. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Of Course Sir! She looks the best in her Rallye avtaar!
Old 18th July 2012, 11:40   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Nice Nostalgic story Altoman. Even we had a "Fiat" when I was a kid and sadly was sold off before I could start driving, don't even have pictures of it. Wish you all the very best in the restoration and if you have DB to guide you, you definitely need not worry. If I had one to restore, this would be the look I would go for:(Image taken from Net)
This car belongs to our Chennai T-BHP member and a Distinguished Vintage car restorer & Collector Mr C S Ananth, I have personally seen this car, and its awesom

With Behram sir's guidance in this thread, i see no reason in a perfect restoration. All the best
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of my Premier Padmini-p030710_13.02.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 11:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
This car belongs to our Chennai T-BHP member and a Distinguished Vintage car restorer & Collector Mr C S Ananth, I have personally seen this car, and its awesom

With Behram sir's guidance in this thread, i see no reason in a perfect restoration. All the best
Yes Sir! I had seen the car in his thread and was very impressed by it. Sadly could not relocate the thread, that's where Google cam into play!
Old 18th July 2012, 20:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Great project, will be frequenting this thread. Haven't seen restoration thread of any Padmini Deluxe here.
BTW here's a link to my PP S1 restoration thread, will help you in actual identification of various body parts your mechanic suggested for replacement.

LINK: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ecial-one.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks