Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 18:55   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Circular on Swift Engine Oil : Change from 15W40 to 5W40

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I recall that Maruti had recently signed on a deal with Fiat for an additional 1 lac MJD engines & so, this move might as well be a way to ensure a lower level of risk in terms of warranty issues. And as far as I know, Fiat already uses the 5W40 grade oils in the Punto & Linea employing the same 1.3L MJD.
You have a good point. MSIL used to or still makes Fiat engines under license from FIAL. This could be something that has been driven by Fiat as a condition to supplying a large # of engines to MSIL.

Yes, Fiat already uses or at least strongly recommends synthetic. They use Selenia 5W-40.

Here's an interesting thread for Fiat India car owners -

http://www.****************/pre-serv...nterval-4.html

Sorry guys - this link is being masked for some reason.it is teamfiat dot co dot in pre-service-query/822-engine-oil-change-interval-4.html

Mods - is this default behaviour or is it related to this particular Fiat related site?

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th July 2012 at 18:58. Reason: Strange Behavior? - Link being masked
Old 20th July 2012, 09:02   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
IIRC Maruti have been using the Fiat 1.3L diesel ... Are you sure your car engine is not a Fiat engine?

I think they may have made modifications to the engine or its state of tune in 2012 that necessitated the shift to synthetic.
Let me put it this way:

Maruti licensed the 1.3L Multijet engine from Fiat and used it for its cars that include Swift, DZire, SX4 amongst others. Maruti manufactured these engines under license at its own facility in Manesar. The demand v/s supply from this factory wasn't adequate and resulted in long waiting periods for their diesel range of cars. Maruti therefore roped in Fiat powertrain pvt. ltd. to manufacture the 1.3L Multijet engines for them to meet demands while it expands its engine production capacity in parallel. This could be a stop gap arrangement and Maruti would eventually insource engine manufacturing when it is able to meet demand.

Now, coming back to the point of engine oil specifications, engines manufactured by Maruti Suzuki Powertrain (or whatever it is called), specified mineral oil for replacement and that is how it has been with my Swift. At the same time, engines manufactured by Fiat Powertrain specify synthetic oil for replacement. As a Japanese company that heavily implements strict processes that seldom deviate from standard I believe they wanted to eliminate any confusion or customization for different sets of engines. Imagine the failure points at service station level if the service advisors were given the task of identifying the engine oil specification based on VIN plates. To avoid this they standardized the specification. This is just my belief and I could be wrong.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 15:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulrajeev View Post
As we know this is a very frequently discussed topic. Yesterday I was having a discussion with my friend who owns a 2012 Swift ZDi. He said, he changed the engine to synthetic oil as per service engineers recommendation. I told him that it is not necessary to change it to synthetic. Then he told me about a circular which Maruti service center received from Maruti. I argued with him that it is just a sales tactic of service engineer. But today he sent me the circular as PDF and I was shocked to see the details mentioned. MSL is enforcing the service centers to change from 15W40 grade to 5W40. 5W40 is the one which is used in cars like POLO, which will incur a cost of Rs.4400 for 4ltrs. This will drastically increase maintenance cost of swift diesel, otherwise known for its low running cost. Moreover the circular says that service interval is 10,000 kms unlike other cars using the same grade having 15000kms.

Please find the content of the circular and PDF attached below,

MODIFICATION IN PERIODICITY AND GRADE: 1ST replacement of engine oil
Engine oil grade used earlier in New Swift-D(AZI-413D) was 15W40 which has now been
changed to 5W40 starting from chassis no MA3FHEB1S00179480
Engine oil change which was part of 1st free service at 1,000 kms is not required for
New Swift-D(AZI-413D) vehicles starting from chassis no MA3FHEB1S00179480
If, few New Swift-D vehicles before the above mentioned cutoff VIN No report to workshop
for first free service, replacement of Engine oil should be done at 1000kms(1st free service).

Circular PDF: Attachment 958487
Thanks buddy for your information, i have a query, my SX4 Celebration edition manufactured in March 2012, has VIN MA3FFB1S00210563.

I purchased this car in July 2012, i am really confused shall is this with Mineral Oil or Synthetic oil. The dealer is insisting that it is synthetic oil and oil change will be done at 10,000 kms. I am not sure, this is true or not as the owners booklets say replace oil at 1,000 kms

Would appreciate inputs
Old 6th August 2012, 15:31   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Isnt it strange that 20w50 SHOULD have been more easily available than 5w50 here ?
5W50 will be a synthetic, while 20W50 can be a mineral or at most semi-synth. The cost difference will be 3x minimum.So naturally the former is far more pervasive. With more and more cars having hydraulic tappets I can see the trend to switch towards thinner (when cold) oils. Modern engines are quite happy with SAE40 (or even SAE30) so maybe there is no need to go for a SAE50 limit.

Last edited by sgiitk : 6th August 2012 at 15:32.
Old 6th August 2012, 15:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Thanks buddy for your information, i have a query, my SX4 Celebration edition manufactured in March 2012, has VIN MA3FFB1S00210563.

I purchased this car in July 2012, i am really confused shall is this with Mineral Oil or Synthetic oil. The dealer is insisting that it is synthetic oil and oil change will be done at 10,000 kms. I am not sure, this is true or not as the owners booklets say replace oil at 1,000 kms

Would appreciate inputs
From the information you have provided I assume you are having a petrol SX4. The circular I have shared does not insist on using synthetic engine oil for petrol engines.
You can run your car on any superior quality material, for example using a formula one Tyre will not harm your car any way but will increase the ride quality. So its you who need to decide what is appropriate for you car after referring to the standard recommendations from the manufacturer.

I know many people who run their car on synthetic engine oils and iridium spark plugs even though their cars manufacturer does not recommend that
or their vehicles are not used in extreme conditions. They use it just because of some recommendations or by referring to some enthusiast who use it for some specific purpose.

I would say you can adhere to the recommendations from the manufacturer unless you feel like you are stretching the performance of the car. If your owners booklets say replace oil with mineral oil at 10K Kms then go with that.
Old 6th August 2012, 16:00   #21
BHPian

Quote:
From the information you have provided I assume you are having a petrol SX4. The circular I have shared does not insist on using synthetic engine oil for petrol engines.
You can run your car on any superior quality material, for example using a formula one Tyre will not harm your car any way but will increase the ride quality. So its you who need to decide what is appropriate for you car after referring to the standard recommendations from the manufacturer.

I know many people who run their car on synthetic engine oils and iridium spark plugs even though their cars manufacturer does not recommend that
or their vehicles are not used in extreme conditions. They use it just because of some recommendations or by referring to some enthusiast who use it for some specific purpose.

I would say you can adhere to the recommendations from the manufacturer unless you feel like you are stretching the performance of the car. If your owners booklets say replace oil with mineral oil at 10K Kms then go with that.
Hi Buddy,

Its a Diesel model not petrol. So i am really not sure... whether the manufactured has put mineral oil or synthetic oil. In case its a mineral oil, i don't want to swtich to synthetic too soon.

Amit
Old 6th August 2012, 16:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hi Buddy,

Its a Diesel model not petrol. So i am really not sure... whether the manufactured has put mineral oil or synthetic oil. In case its a mineral oil, i don't want to swtich to synthetic too soon.

Amit
Amit,

Even I too don't recommend changing to synthetic if your vehicle came filled with Mineral Oil from the company.
Old 6th August 2012, 16:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Amit,

Even I too don't recommend changing to synthetic if your vehicle came filled with Mineral Oil from the company.
That is the problem buddy, i am not sure it came with Synthetic or mineral oil.

If its mineral, then i need to change that with Mineral oil at 1,000 oil.
Old 6th August 2012, 17:16   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Let me put it this way:
As a Japanese company that heavily implements strict processes that seldom deviate from standard I believe they wanted to eliminate any confusion or customization for different sets of engines. Imagine the failure points at service station level if the service advisors were given the task of identifying the engine oil specification based on VIN plates. To avoid this they standardized the specification. This is just my belief and I could be wrong.
Exactly my point. This is the only reason I see why Maruti has changed the oil recommendations.

Mine is a March 2012 swift and the manual clearly says first oil change at 10k and service intervals of 10000k thereafter. The recommended oil is 5W4, and I don't think I have an option to change it to mineral one.
Old 12th July 2013, 09:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

What is the current update on this ?

Are you Swift/SX4/Ertiga owners using Synthetic or normal mineral oils ?
I did check at my MASS and SA seem to be very open for our choice of oil. There is no doubt that Synthetic will make engine smoother and good for those with high running, there is nothing like you have no choice but to use Synthetic oil. He even mentioned there is semi synthetic oil from Mobil1 that one can opt if required.

So wanted to know how many people are sticking to normal mineral based oil.
Old 12th July 2013, 09:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
What is the current update on this ?

Are you Swift/SX4/Ertiga owners using Synthetic or normal mineral oils ?
Our ZDi came with mineral oil from the factory and I have used only that till now for every change at 5K.

The car is nearing the 30k service and I am planning to switch to synthetic this time. The choice is up to the customer. I want to check whether its worth giving synthetic a shot for 10K KM.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 09:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Our ZDi came with mineral oil from the factory and I have used only that till now for every change at 5K.

The car is nearing the 30k service and I am planning to switch to synthetic this time. The choice is up to the customer. I want to check whether its worth giving synthetic a shot for 10K KM.
Exactly my point. it should be our choice. not enforcement.

There seem to be some misconception about this and people often debate Maruti service is no longer cheap and they only give example of this Synthetic oil and say your service bill will be very high.

Even maruti service seem to be silent and plays this trick on unsuspecting customers.
Old 12th July 2013, 10:31   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

I'd suggest not to switch back and forth between mineral, synthetic or semi-synthetic. Stick to one type and continue using it.

I have been using Mobil Delvac and continue using it with good results:

Link

Mind you, I had initially thought that only Fiat Powertrain engines warrant synthetic oil as per the circular but I stand corrected. My car's engine is from Fiat powertrain as well.
Old 12th July 2013, 10:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Exactly my point. it should be our choice. not enforcement.

There seem to be some misconception about this and people often debate Maruti service is no longer cheap and they only give example of this Synthetic oil and say your service bill will be very high.

Even maruti service seem to be silent and plays this trick on unsuspecting customers.
I wouldn't call the service cheap even with mineral oil for the Swift D. It is more or less comparable to the other B+ segment cars though.

The trick is to go by the service manual and not by what the SA might fancy. The MASS (Indus) over here even asked me to bring the car every 5K for service even when the manual says its 10K. They sure try their luck with the naive customers.
Old 12th July 2013, 10:34   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Once I was told by the MASS which I frequent that the grade for Swift's engine oil has been changed because some owners were experiencing dipping oil levels. I am not sure if the reason he gave was correct or not, but he told me that the circular issued by Maruti reads so.

Regards,
Saket

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks