Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2014, 16:52   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Circular on Swift Engine Oil : Change from 15W40 to 5W40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post
Did the 30000 km service of swift zdi. The engine oil used was Mobil 5w40. Cost was approx 625 per litre(including 14.5 tax). So for 3.1litres its approx 1937 RS.
Which Mobil oil make is it exactly?
Old 9th March 2014, 18:11   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Did the 30000 km service of swift zdi. The engine oil used was Mobil 5w40. Cost was approx 625 per litre(including 14.5 tax). So for 3.1litres its approx 1937 RS.
Can you please scan the bill and put it up here? It will be easy for all here to know and understand.

Surprising to the costs for a 5W40 oil.

Anurag.
Old 10th March 2014, 09:41   #48
BHPian

Confirmed from my service adviser today that 5W40 is a semi synthetic oil, which is put in the factory as well.
Old 10th March 2014, 16:48   #49
BHPian

If the oil they use in factory is indeed a semi synthetic oil then pushing it all the way to 10k kms before 1st oil change is way too much. I had asked a fellow bhpian to change the oil within 1k kms and thereafter follow the manual.
In semi synthetic range, the least no. before 'W' I have seen in India is 10W40. Good to know that such a grade is produced here. Another thing to keep in mind is that the viscosity index improvers(VII) degrade faster for this grade in a SS oil when compared to FS.
Old 10th March 2014, 16:54   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Confirmed from my service adviser today that 5W40 is a semi synthetic oil, which is put in the factory as well.
I went through the entire Mobil diesel oil range but did not find anything in 5W40 other than Delvac 1. If it is 5W40 and Delvac 1 then its a steal of a price. Next time i will get oil from MASS itself for my i20. I paid 4200 for a 5ltr can of delvac 1 recently.
Old 10th March 2014, 19:25   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post

Semi-synth oil for 10K kms is a bit long to be driving around. I don't know what MASS is upto here but I too will get things clear at my end when my car goes for the 3rd service in a month.

Anurag.
Old 11th March 2014, 09:25   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I went through the entire Mobil diesel oil range but did not find anything in 5W40 other than Delvac 1. If it is 5W40 and Delvac 1 then its a steal of a price. Next time i will get oil from MASS itself for my i20. I paid 4200 for a 5ltr can of delvac 1 recently.
Maruti recommends Mobil or Castrol, & as you said there is no 5W40 semi synthetic oil available in these brands. All options are fully synthetic. I do not know which is the wrong part here now. Service Advisor are the ones putting oil, so how can they be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Semi-synth oil for 10K kms is a bit long to be driving around. I don't know what MASS is upto here but I too will get things clear at my end when my car goes for the 3rd service in a month.

Anurag.
I guess to re-claim the low maintenance tag of Maruti cars?
They very well know that the MJD's can take such abuses with ease & most people are happy even if there engine just crosses the 1 lakh mark.
Old 16th March 2014, 12:09   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
There is an engine oil called Mobil super. There is one 5w40 engine oil in this super range. In the mobil website in this page(http://www.mobil.co.in/AP-English-LC...neoils_in.aspx) its written that MOBIL super is semi synthetic The following is copy pasted from the above link."Mobil Super is the global family of premium passenger vehicle semi-synthetic engine oils that provide different levels of protection to match the conditions you face, so that you can drive with full confidence". But check this link from the same website http://www.mobil.co.in/AP-English-LCW/carengineoils_in_products_mobil-super-3000-x2-5w40.aspx
It says that mobil super 3000 x2 is fully synthetic . The following is copy pasted from this link.
"The Mobil Super 3000 range of lubricants are ultra premium synthetic engine oils, designed to provide outstanding levels of protection and performance."
So it seems that MOBIL itself is confused whether MOBIL SUPER is synthetic or semi-synthetic.

Quote:
Can you please scan the bill and put it up here? It will be easy for all here to know and understand.

Surprising to the costs for a 5W40 oil.

Anurag.
In my bill its just written MGDO(5w40) mobil. Cant upload the bill as its at another location.

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th March 2014 at 08:31. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/Multi-quote instead of typing successive posts within 30 minutes.
Old 16th March 2014, 12:46   #54
BHPian

Quote:
There is an engine oil called Mobil super. There is one 5w40 engine oil in this super range. In the mobil website in this page its written that MOBIL super is semi synthetic......................................... ....................................
Mobil Super 3000 X2 costs around Rs.800/- per litre and a semi-synthetic oil won't cost that much.

Mobil Delvac 1300 15W40, a mineral oil, costs Rs.290/- per litre.

MGDO, fully-synthetic oil by Mobil costs around Rs.680/- per litre.

MGDO, mobil semi-synthtic oil mentioned by other members is around Rs.400/- and going by the price it is clearly a SS oil.

I think Maruti has tied-up with Mobil to supply semi-synthetic oil. It is a good move as servicing costs will decrease without compromising too much on the engine wear. Heck, even with a mineral oil (if changed within 10K), the ddis can cross 200k mark with ease.
Old 16th March 2014, 14:20   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
If the oil they use in factory is indeed a semi synthetic oil then pushing it all the way to 10k kms before 1st oil change is way too much. I had asked a fellow bhpian to change the oil within 1k kms and thereafter follow the manual.
In semi synthetic range, the least no. before 'W' I have seen in India is 10W40. Good to know that such a grade is produced here. Another thing to keep in mind is that the viscosity index improvers(VII) degrade faster for this grade in a SS oil when compared to FS.
Absolutely no issues with pushing the semi synthetic oil to 10 k oil change intervals. I change the Mobil Delvac MX 15-40 in my Swift D at 8 to 9 thousand and its not even semi synthetic. Changing the 5-40 at every 5 k is an overkill.
Old 16th March 2014, 17:28   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Absolutely no issues with pushing the semi synthetic oil to 10 k oil change intervals. I change the Mobil Delvac MX 15-40 in my Swift D at 8 to 9 thousand and its not even semi synthetic. Changing the 5-40 at every 5 k is an overkill.
There is no problem in pushing a mineral oil all the way upto 10k. I even mentioned it in my last post.
Most of the Mobil Delvac range contains a good amount of ZDDP.

How much percentage of synthetic base oil does a semi-synthetic oil contain ?
Is there any compulsion that it must be above a certain percentage ?
Just an example :
Is there any law that prevents the manufactures from calling an oil which contains 95% petroleum base oil and 5% synthetic oil as a semi synthetic ?
It could be anything.
Did you know that Shell Advance Ultra(a motorcycle oil) which is marketed as a Fully Synthetic oil is actually a highly refined mineral oil ?

Problem here is not just with the type of oil. When the grade is very wide (5 and 40), a FS is better simply because it would need far less amount of viscosity index improvers when compared to a SS.

However if the grade is same then obviously a semi-synthetic oil is better than a mineral and fully synthetic better than Semi Synthetic.
Hope you get my point. If you need any further clarification then please PM me as we are going off topic here.

EDIT:
Yes, I agree that changing a SS oil every 5-6k kms is overkill.
I just mentioned that using a semi-synthetic oil until 10K kms on ODO before 1st change is way too much.
Even if it was a fully synthetic oil, I for one would change it as soon as the initial run-in of 1k kms is over in a new car.

Last edited by interc00led : 16th March 2014 at 17:35.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 22:13   #57
BANNED

Quote:
In my bill its just written MGDO(5w40) mobil. Cant upload the bill as its at another location.
Thank you for the clarification.

When my car goes for the 3rd Service (10K Kms) in a few days will check with the service guys as to what it is and Mineral or Semi-Synthetic or Fully Synthetic.

Anurag.
Old 17th June 2014, 10:31   #58
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
When my car goes for the 3rd Service (10K Kms) in a few days will check with the service guys as to what it is and Mineral or Semi-Synthetic or Fully Synthetic.
Anurag, I am replying to an old post here and sharing some information which might help.

The oil referred here is called Mobil Super MGDO 5W40 SM. 3.5 Ltr can @ dealer price is Rs. 2082/- in Bangalore which is effectively Rs. 595/- per ltr. Retail MRP price would be slightly higher. In fact recently, when I picked a 5 ltr can of Mobil Delvac MX 15W40 for my Ritz D, the seller recommended use of MGDO 5W40 instead of Delvax MX 15W40. Hope this helps.
Old 17th June 2014, 10:45   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post

Anurag, I am replying to an old post here and sharing some information which might help.

The oil referred here is called Mobil Super MGDO 5W40 SM. 3.5 Ltr can @ dealer price is Rs. 2082/- in Bangalore which is effectively Rs. 595/- per ltr.
Thank you sir for the information and update.

During the third service, the oil filled in was Shell Helix Ultra (5W40) @ Rs 1008 per litre that translates to Rs 3127 for 3.1 litres. This is labelled as MGDO in the bill.

I guess it depends on the dealer profits that they get when buying oils in bulk. Maruti specifies the grade and specifications that the oil should meet. The dealer is free to use any oil manufacturer I guess. I may be wrong though.

Anurag.
Old 19th June 2014, 09:45   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post

The oil referred here is called Mobil Super MGDO 5W40 SM. 3.5 Ltr can @ dealer price is Rs. 2082/- in Bangalore which is effectively Rs. 595/- per ltr. Retail MRP price would be slightly higher. In fact recently, when I picked a 5 ltr can of Mobil Delvac MX 15W40 for my Ritz D, the seller recommended use of MGDO 5W40 instead of Delvax MX 15W40. Hope this helps.
Is this MGDO 5W40 synthetic oil?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks