Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2015, 19:38   #76
BHPian

Re: Maruti Circular on Swift Engine Oil : Change from 15W40 to 5W40

After discussion with Maruti & ASS, they have drained the old oil and replaced with new oil (10W40 based on availability).
Hopefully a month run (very sporadic though) with 0w20 hasnt damaged anything inside!
Old 30th April 2015, 20:00   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
After discussion with Maruti & ASS, they have drained the old oil and replaced with new oil (10W40 based on availability).
Hopefully a month run (very sporadic though) with 0w20 hasnt damaged anything inside!
Not sure about 10W40, as mentioned, if 5W30 is recommended you can choose 0W40, 10W40 may not be the right spec. 'W' here stands for winter grade and the preceding digit stands for viscocity of the oil. AFAIK, the lower the number the better its cold temperature performance. However if you are in the south it may not make a huge difference.

Please go through the engine oil thread for a better understanding of oil specs.
Old 30th April 2015, 20:14   #78
BANNED

@babu.sundaram; To repeat once more with oil spec at mmWnn you can go lower in mm with not much fear, but for nn stay at the spec or higher. The risk is for the oil film to fail, and then metal rubs metal, with disastrous consequences. In fact towards the end of my ownership of the Hyundai's Accent & Santro I had to specially ask for Magnatec ..W40 since most newer engines were quite happy with SAE30.
Old 30th April 2015, 21:05   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Not sure about 10W40, as mentioned, if 5W30 is recommended you can choose 0W40, 10W40 may not be the right spec. 'W' here stands for winter grade and the preceding digit stands for viscocity of the oil. AFAIK, the lower the number the better its cold temperature performance. However if you are in the south it may not make a huge difference.

Please go through the engine oil thread for a better understanding of oil specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@babu.sundaram; To repeat once more with oil spec at mmWnn you can go lower in mm with not much fear, but for nn stay at the spec or higher. The risk is for the oil film to fail, and then metal rubs metal, with disastrous consequences. In fact towards the end of my ownership of the Hyundai's Accent & Santro I had to specially ask for Magnatec ..W40 since most newer engines were quite happy with SAE30.
Yes sirs, thats why I found this issue. Maruti initially said 0W20 is fine though the recommendation was 5w30. Missed to mention, 10W40 is okay per the manual, but 5w30 was recommended (for fuel efficiency).

It is little surprising that 5W30 has become old in about 4 years.

One good resolution for this year, NEVER trust anyone else (even and esp ASS) on your car!
Old 1st May 2015, 01:03   #80
Senior - BHPian

I had a query on behalf of my friend who owns a Swift ZDi.
The car is nearing its third service at 10,000 kms which will require an oil + oil filter change. The car comes with synthetic oil from the factory but he wants to switch to mineral oil since the car is only used for 7-8k kms a year, all in city conditions and very short runs.

Is it required to do an engine flush before shifting to mineral oil? I have suggested him to switch to mineral without flushing since the car has only done 10k on synthetic but want to confirm from experts here.
Old 1st May 2015, 01:52   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
The car is nearing its third service at 10,000 kms which will require an oil + oil filter change. The car comes with synthetic oil from the factory but he wants to switch to mineral oil since the car is only used for 7-8k kms a year, all in city conditions and very short runs.

Is it required to do an engine flush before shifting to mineral oil? I have suggested him to switch to mineral without flushing since the car has only done 10k on synthetic but want to confirm from experts here.
There is absolutely no need to flush. Just drain the oil hot.

A swift will run happily on a good mineral oil for 10k kms/1 year whichever is earlier. It feels slightly rough after 7k kms but not much. Try to get Mobil Delvac 1400 or Mx 15w40.
However, for very short runs - a synthetic oil will be better than a mineral oil.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 10:07   #82
BANNED

In my old Esteem I switched between Mineral and Synth many times. No issues. Only thing is the 10k/12 months limit.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 12:16   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

I agree with all contributors above me, but the ideal situation is to use Mineral every 3 K until 10 K on the odo, and filter change at every oil drain.

Idea being run in period using Mineral base and filtering off metal shavings from filter. Insertable (even Bosch paper based) comes at Rs. 200 and mineral base at Rs. 1500.

So, absolutely no harm in changing mineral on short intervals and then shifting to full synthetic. But, synthetic tend to be much cleaner when compared to mineral, so if cosmetic is of less importance then shifting between mineral and synthetic should be smooth with appropriate flush.
Old 11th May 2016, 20:04   #84
BHPian

PRO ADVICE REQUIRED: Mobil 5W40 Diesel Engine Oil in my 2013 Swift Petrol ?

Here is what has happened. I had parked my car in Pitampura (Delhi) and somehow, the oil filter was taken apart and the underbody bolts of the engine and gear oil tanks were gone and the oil was all over the road and under my car. I am assuming the mechanics in the area must have mistaken my car for one of their customer's and did not even bother to atleast put those bolts back after realizing it. I dun think it has something to do with a theft attempt because nothing else was tampered with. I checked the hood, windows and rim bolts and everything was intact.

With mixed emotions and wanting to get my car back alive again, I went to a shop nearby that had all sorts of spare parts and oils and he gave me a can of MGO Mobil 5W40 because he did not hv anything for petrol in Mobil. It said "for diesel engines" on the can but nt wanting to go for a fishy looking GS Caltex and something called "SK ZIC", I bought Mobil and with a mind full of questions, I came back home, praying that the engine doesn't give me any more surprises. I did do a quick check on our forum and felt a little assured that it wouldn't do any harm, atleast not in this scorching heat but my mind is still not at peace.

Can someone please help me a little more with this ? Should I be worried about the engine oil ? I just can't put myself to ease after such a long day.
Old 31st December 2016, 19:54   #85
bkc
BHPian

HI,
Mine is 2015 April model, swift ZDI and run 35,000kms. As my 40,000km service will be nearing, I’m confused with the oil grade. I have used fully-synthetic oil right from the beginning. I do not know the grade but did all services at MASS, choosing fully-synthetic always.

I see in the thread that, the circular is of 2012 and even downloaded service manual from Maruti website, dated 06/11/55 and it recommends 5W30. Attaching the below screenshot for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Circular on Swift Engine Oil :  Change from 15W40 to 5W40-engineoil.jpg  

Old 31st December 2016, 21:16   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
HI,
Mine is 2015 April model, swift ZDI and run 35,000kms. As my 40,000km service will be nearing, I’m confused with the oil grade. I have used fully-synthetic oil right from the beginning. I do not know the grade but did all services at MASS, choosing fully-synthetic always.
Go with what Maruti folks at the service centre. They generally stock Mobil/Castrol/Shell 5W40 for diesel engines.

I have a Swift ZDi too but a 2013 one.

Been filling 5W40 oil since day 1. Been 12 services till date (1.03 lakh kms).
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 10:13   #87
bkc
BHPian

:thumbup: Wow, 12 services and 1 lakh kms?? I'll look into your ownership thread now, seems interesting.
Old 12th February 2017, 12:57   #88
BHPian

OK I need some advice but most of the posts I find are for Diesel engines.
I have a 2008 Swift DeZire Zxi. Recently, the rubber gasket seems to have become hard for the age of it and there is a slight leak. Can get the smell after returning back on days where I leave post 12 AM and we have relatively emptier roads and the engine gets even hotter for obvious reasons
Local garage guy says to top it up with oil, something I don't want to do. I don't like the idea of possibly 2 oils being mixed on the heart of the vehicle.
Want to do a complete change of the oil, even though it being changed in November.
Current oil as per the bill of the Maruti Spectra service is 5w30 which is semi-synthetic from what I gather
Local garage guy says Castrol 5w40 is a good choice.
Need to know if I change from 5w30 semi synthetic to 5w40 fully synthetic is ok.
Also more importantly, should I change from semi to fully synthetic? City highway mixed driving around 34kms daily.
I don't expect leakages since the rubber sealants will be changed.
Also, I'd rather choose Mobil 1 in that case since many swear by it. Please guide!

Last edited by GranvilleDsouza : 12th February 2017 at 13:05.
Old 12th February 2017, 15:02   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
Local garage guy says to top it up with oil, something I don't want to do. I don't like the idea of possibly 2 oils being mixed on the heart of the vehicle.
Want to do a complete change of the oil, even though it being changed in November.
Current oil as per the bill of the Maruti Spectra service is 5w30 which is semi-synthetic from what I gather
Local garage guy says Castrol 5w40 is a good choice.
Need to know if I change from 5w30 semi synthetic to 5w40 fully synthetic is ok.
Has the engine oil level dropped a lot? Otherwise a little bit of topping up of engine oil is sometimes fine as per many car manufacturer but mixing of two oil may not be a good idea. What is the recommended engine oil as per the service manual? If your car is been filled with 5w30 semi-synth from the beginning then you can either top up or completely replace the current oil with the same grade and spec. As for changing over to fully synthetic oil, experts recommend not to do it for high mileage engines.
Old 12th February 2017, 15:54   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
OK I need some advice but most of the posts I find are for Diesel engines.
I have a 2008 Swift DeZire Zxi. Recently, the rubber gasket seems to have become hard for the age of it and there is a slight leak. Can get the smell after returning back on days where I leave post 12 AM and we have relatively emptier roads and the engine gets even hotter for obvious reasons !
Do you mean to say the head gasket is gone and oil is leaking?! If that is the case then just an oil change wont do; have a mech check it out as with a blown gasket, coolant may mix with oil with disastrous results. What does the coolant level look like?
Coming back to the oil question, is it a K series engine? If yes then 5w 30 is the recommended grade and I have always used shell helix 5w 30 which is so called semi synth. If not K series just pick any oil of the grade recommended by the manual. Unless you are doing 10k plus in less than a year then IMO, synthetic is overkill. Use mineral and drain before 10k/12 months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks