Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2012, 20:48   #1
BHPian

Maruti WagonR CNG : Starting Problem

My Wagon R CNG has completed 11000kms. Since the last 1000kms or so I had been seeing a weird starting problem. The car which used to start with the first turn of the key would often take two or even three cranks to start her up. I suspected the battery to be at fault, checked and found that the battery as was good as new. Went to the dealer workshop, about 40kms from my place. After reaching there the car started to start with the first crank, no problems could be detected. The car returns a uniform CNG mileage of 27/kg w/o A/C. I requested the dealer to send somebody over to my place preferably in the morning so that the problem could be experienced on a cold engine. People turned up today. Problem seen twice. Problem traced to the ignition key system. They said would have to replace. Agreed that it could only be a manufacturing defect but needed to check up if it was covered under warranty. Am waiting with crossed fingers.

Any one else with other problems with this car please share.
Old 25th July 2012, 21:56   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti WagonR CNG : Starting Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONESTabdul View Post
My Wagon R CNG has completed 11000kms. Agreed that it could only be a manufacturing defect but needed to check up if it was covered under warranty. Am waiting with crossed fingers.
How old is your car HONESTadbul? Did you opt for an extended warranty? If it is out of warranty (mfr + extended) then the ignition components may not be covered.

However from your posts I am not quite convinced its the ignition circuit or the ignition key assembly. Do let us know what the dealer says
Old 25th July 2012, 22:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am no expert in case of CNG vehicles. But have the spark plugs checked for deposits (I don't know if the spark plugs come into play if the car is run on CNG). Also get the Petrol Filter cleaned/replaced (I guess the car starts on Petrol and then it switches over to CNG).
Old 25th July 2012, 22:34   #4
BHPian

hi R2D2, YES i do have extended warranty . i suppose that means i shall have to pay for the labour only. The maruti guys called up today. The part (i still don't know for sure what) shall be replaced under warranty. The problem occurs when the key is turned to crank the engine. All the warning lights go off. Turned a little more the lights come back on the fuel pump starts up again. Turned further the starter motor cranks and the engine starts up. If turned in one go the starter motor tries but cannot start the car. Having diagnosed the problem i have become quite adept at starting the car at one go. You just have to switch on the ignition and then turn the key in micro milli-meter installments till the whole OFF - ON mess passes and then crank.
Old 25th July 2012, 22:42   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I am no expert in case of CNG vehicles. But have the spark plugs checked for deposits (I don't know if the spark plugs come into play if the car is run on CNG). Also get the Petrol Filter cleaned/replaced (I guess the car starts on Petrol and then it switches over to CNG).
Yes, the plugs are operational even when running on CNG/LPG. As gas is a much cleaner fuel, deposits on the plugs are minimal.

Quote:
hi R2D2, YES i do have extended warranty . i suppose that means i shall have to pay for the labour only. The maruti guys called up today. The part (i still don't know for sure what) shall be replaced under warranty
Thanks HONESTabdul (nice ID by the way), Curious to know what part they replace. Ignition lock? Do let us know please.
Old 25th July 2012, 23:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sparks going bad this early is not likely. The CNG waggie comes with sparks which have a different spark plug gap, can work on both in petrol and CNG for atleast 15K kms. The waggie we have is 34K kms. now, without any sparkplug change. If starting is a problem and battery is alright, then the ECU would throw up a CNG flash on instrument cluster ( i.e. error in CNG system ) and/or engine check light would come on.

The problem you are facing is more like what it has been diagnoised, i.e. bad ignition switch. Its highly unlikely that sparks, cables, CNG system has gone bad. May be you can clean injectors, but at 11K that exactly cannot create problem.

However, if your car is not run regularly run on petrol, clean fuel filter. Its also possible that unused petrol for a long time can cause sledge and lead to a mild clogging in fuel filter as the fuel is old.
Old 25th July 2012, 23:42   #7
BANNED

Good to know your problem is resolved and will be covered under extended warrenty.

what exactly is this extended warrenty? Worth going in for?

For Maruti it is 2K for 1 yr and 4K for 2 Yr.

Last edited by idea : 25th July 2012 at 23:44.
Old 26th July 2012, 17:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONESTabdul
YES i do have extended warranty . i suppose that means i shall have to pay for the labour only.
Warranty covers part cost as well as labour cost. So you don't have to pay labour charges either.
Old 27th July 2012, 13:37   #9
BHPian

Re: Maruti WagonR CNG : Starting Problem

starting issue on cold engine was resolved by "Tappet Adjustment" in my swift.
Old 13th August 2012, 13:53   #10
BANNED

Quote:
hi R2D2, YES i do have extended warranty . i suppose that means i shall have to pay for the labour only. The maruti guys called up today. The part (i still don't know for sure what) shall be replaced under warranty. The problem occurs when the key is turned to crank the engine. All the warning lights go off. Turned a little more the lights come back on the fuel pump starts up again. Turned further the starter motor cranks and the engine starts up. If turned in one go the starter motor tries but cannot start the car. Having diagnosed the problem i have become quite adept at starting the car at one go. You just have to switch on the ignition and then turn the key in micro milli-meter installments till the whole OFF - ON mess passes and then crank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
Good to know your problem is resolved and will be covered under extended warrenty.

what exactly is this extended warrenty? Worth going in for?

For Maruti it is 2K for 1 yr and 4K for 2 Yr.
So what is update here? Is your car back? Any charges to be paid?

I too have WagonR CNG.
Old 13th August 2012, 20:29   #11
BHPian

Service center called up to say the part shall be replaced under warranty. Part has been ordered since it is not readily available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks