Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2012, 13:59   #1
BHPian

Alternator bearing issue in Hyundai i10

Gurus,

I have been hearing some whizzing sound from the engine bay in my i10. I took it to the Advaith showroom in Whitefield and they diagnosed it to be an issue with a faulty bearing in Alternator.

Now to my surprise the SA told me he has to replace the alternator as the bearing can not be replaced .

Is this true ? Just for a faulty bearing they have to replace the alternator completely ? I do not have much knowledge on this so just thought of checking with you guys before spending around 7.5K.

Please advise me if you have some other suggestion.

Thanks,
Sam_Boy
Old 27th July 2012, 15:44   #2
BHPian

Re: Alternator bearing issue in Hyundai i10

What make is the alternator? Lucas/Bosch have their service centres which are 100% capable of replacing the bearing and servicing the alternator.

Or else check with an electrician outside of the A.S.S - they should be able to replace the bad bearing.
CrackedHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 15:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Please check with the after market shops if the bearing is available separately. If yes, you can get it fitted at local competent garage.

I got the alternator bearing replaced at TASC for our Indigo XL Dicor. The TASC itself sourced the bearing from outside (local machinery shop) and fitted to the alternator.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 15:52   #4
BHPian

Sealed type bearing is used in alternator which can be replaced easily. Go to a good local electrician and he will do the job. Just make sure you get the genuine bearing. Price will be higher around 1k or something for the bearing but it works for almost for the life of car. There are two bearings in alternator so before opening get inspected which one is making noise.
Hashim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 15:57   #5
BHPian

Most Workshops these days simply replace the parts than diagnose the particular minor issue.
Contact some outside garage or mechanic who is trustworthy and get it checked by him.
negativeH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 16:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Bearing can go faulty because of many reasons:
1. Manufacturing defect
2. Incorrect alignment of belt due to alignment issues in connected parts
3. (Purposeful) over-tightening of the belt.

If it is because of the 3rd reason mentioned above, the problem would surface again even if you change the alternator (this happened to me because of an 'intelligent' workshop).
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 17:55   #7
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions ... I'll check with Bosch workshop near my place and update the thread!
Old 29th July 2012, 12:36   #8
BHPian

I went to the Bosch multi brand service center and they assured me that the bearing can be replaced for 950 Rs.

Before doing that thought of checking with Trident Hyundai service center in Bannergheta Road. Called them and they said they have the bearings. The guy at the parts counter took my vehicle number and mobile number. After 10 minutes I got a call from him and he told me he has to replace the complete alternator again. When i asked the reason ( as he has the bearing spare) he told me those were Santros bearings and can not be put in my car. I remember he asked me which model of i10 and I told him accordingly. Is there any foul play ? The cost of bearing with labour cost is 950 Rs where as the cost of alternator and the labour is more than 7000.

I was impressed with Bosch facilities near Hoodi Circle Bangalore and before replacing any parts in Hyundai Service Center, I will think 10 times.
Old 29th July 2012, 12:53   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
I went to the Bosch multi brand service center and they assured me that the bearing can be replaced for 950 Rs.

Before doing that thought of checking with Trident Hyundai service center in Bannergheta Road. Called them and they said they have the bearings. The guy at the parts counter took my vehicle number and mobile number. After 10 minutes I got a call from him and he told me he has to replace the complete alternator again. When i asked the reason ( as he has the bearing spare) he told me those were Santros bearings and can not be put in my car. I remember he asked me which model of i10 and I told him accordingly. Is there any foul play ? The cost of bearing with labour cost is 950 Rs where as the cost of alternator and the labour is more than 7000.

I was impressed with Bosch facilities near Hoodi Circle Bangalore and before replacing any parts in Hyundai Service Center, I will think 10 times.
Most alternators can be repaired - parts like bearings, stator coils, rotors, regulator/rectifiers are available thru Bosch, Lucas TVS or Denso.

It needs to be replaced only if it is beyond repair i.e. the housing assembly is damaged or if some part cannot be sourced and/or replaced outside the factory. I have only heard of such 'replace only' alternators on high end European cars.

I am not sure of what brand Hyundai uses in their cars - it should be either Lucas TVS, Bosch or Denso. The first two brands can be readily repaired, parts for Denso are less likely to be found in the outside market but a spare parts dealer should be able to source them from Mumbai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks