Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2009, 14:44   #31
BHPian

Sorry no scanner

Sorry guys I do not possess a scanner to scan the service manual pages for you... I bought the manual at my mass centre for 800 rs and is of my BSII alto yr 2004 which I guess is more closer to the alto vx than todays BSIII with a different ecu(32bit) as opposed to my (16bit) I guess so for bsIII cars the couplers that come from ecu to speedo may be different and also have different pin outs as I have heard the bsIII speedos are not compatible with bsII ones....my speedo was the one with black dial and green backlight and 2 trip meters....wil post pictures of my speedo later in the week...must recharge my digicam batteries first.
Old 5th September 2009, 23:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,
check out the below link for the Alto's official web site where you can the instrument cluster in the image is different from the one's i have seen on some of the new Alto's.

Maruti Alto

The image shows the Alto as having a tachometer along with the speedometer.Does the Alto come with a tachometer option from Maruti ?

Old 6th September 2009, 19:00   #33
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
Sorry guys I do not possess a scanner to scan the service manual pages for you..must recharge my digicam batteries first.
Just an idea: You can still click pics of the relevant pages with a digi-cam and upload them. I did this once when I had to send a letter and didn't have a scanner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Does the Alto come with a tachometer option from Maruti ?
They have used a pic from the now discontinued VXi version of the Alto. The new Alto doesn't come with a tacho.
Old 7th September 2009, 11:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Can you still post the picutre of the cataloge that will confirm this. A few Bhp-ians like vid6639, Technocrat and Gansan were all keen on getting the tacho fitted and it will help us all.
Hi, here's the A-Star tach page from the parts catalog.
Alto Lxi Speedo Upgrade-z_astar_tach_2.jpg
Quote:
Can you post pictures or upload a scanned copy of the manual with specific reference to the tachometer and its connections to the ECU?
This will require a few images - first, the terminal arrangement of the Alto's ECM. As you can see, the tach signal is from pin C03-06.
Alto Lxi Speedo Upgrade-z_alto_ecm_3.jpg
Second, the voltage specs of the C03-06 terminal.
Alto Lxi Speedo Upgrade-z_alto_ecm_5.jpg
Third, the console end where the tach signal is fed to terminal K8.
Alto Lxi Speedo Upgrade-z_alto_console_0.jpg
And finally, the instrument console couplers, K8 is apparently connected to a brown wire & I presume draws the tach signal from the ECM's C03-06 terminal.
Alto Lxi Speedo Upgrade-z_alto_console_1.jpg
The Alto's parts catalog does not differentiate between the F8D & F10D ECMs. The differences in the way the fuel-injection & ignition is handled is quite interesting though. Anyway, one needs to look up how the tach's handled in the A-Star from it's workshop manual to conclude whether its tach is compatible with the Alto. I've been informed that the ECM terminal arrangement may not be the same in the newer Altos, i.e. clear-lens ones. Please verify with the terminal arrangement in your car before proceeding with this mod. Else, you could save yourself a lot of trouble & get an aftermarket tach that supports 3 cylinders (yes, some do).

Last edited by im_srini : 7th September 2009 at 11:10.
Old 7th September 2009, 11:13   #35
gpa
Senior - BHPian

im_srini,

Thanks for the pics. I have been trying to get my head around this tacho thing the whole weekend. You pics really help to put things into perspective.

From what I see in the pictures, I don't think the A-Star's tacho will be compatible with the Alto ECU as the connections are very different.

I think the safest bet will be to go in for an aftermarket tacho and draw the signal from the -ve terminal of the ignition coil and draw the power and other connections from the fuse box.

IMHO, this will not void the warranty as there will no wire cutting involved.

What do you think? Am open to inputs from everyone.

Thanks,
gpa

Last edited by gpa : 7th September 2009 at 11:17.
Old 7th September 2009, 12:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hello guys,
check out the below link for the Alto's official web site where you can the instrument cluster in the image is different from the one's i have seen on some of the new Alto's.

Maruti Alto

The image shows the Alto as having a tachometer along with the speedometer.Does the Alto come with a tachometer option from Maruti ?

Quote:

They have used a pic from the now discontinued VXi version of the Alto. The new Alto doesn't come with a tacho.

Thats an interesting Observation, yes the meters are from VXi but its not a VXi because the VXi had neither the rotary A/c controls nor the red Hazard switch in Center.

Do they Export the alto anywhere?
Attached Thumbnails
Alto Lxi Speedo Upgrade-alto.jpg  

Old 7th September 2009, 12:59   #37
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Do they Export the alto anywhere?
AFAIK, the Alto in its current avtar here in India is discontinued, so I don't think it is being exported globally. The replacement being the A-Star.

However, it could be a new version or the now common 'limited editions' version that MUL has come up with to further boost sales. I went through the Alto site, but found no mention of the added features on the specs/ features list.

Regards,
gpa
Old 7th September 2009, 13:03   #38
Senior - BHPian

Yeah man even I am wondering how come they got this picture, got to check out for any limited editions for this.
Old 10th November 2009, 18:32   #39
BHPian

@Technocrat - I bought a new alto last month. A Midnight black LXi.Shortly put, except the tacho, everything else is same.
Old 12th February 2010, 23:51   #40
BANNED

Check out this neatly installed A-Star tacho in an Alto.
http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Album?ui...aid=1264062744

Last edited by Live To Jive : 12th February 2010 at 23:52.
Old 19th May 2010, 23:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

Would there be any need for calibration of the tacho on retrofittment? The Vxi was 4 cylinder and the Lxi is a 3 cylinder right?
Old 20th May 2010, 00:16   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Check out this neatly installed A-Star tacho in an Alto.
http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Album?ui...aid=1264062744
Where did he get the tacho from? Does it work well on the alto? If it does, Then I'm sure it'll also work on the M800.
Old 12th November 2022, 13:27   #43

Re: Alto Lxi Speedo Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi, here's the A-Star tach page from the parts catalog.
Attachment 186356

This will require a few images - first, the terminal arrangement of the Alto's ECM. As you can see, the tach signal is from pin C03-06.
Attachment 186357
Second, the voltage specs of the C03-06 terminal.
Attachment 186358
Third, the console end where the tach signal is fed to terminal K8.
Attachment 186359
And finally, the instrument console couplers, K8 is apparently connected to a brown wire & I presume draws the tach signal from the ECM's C03-06 terminal.
Attachment 186360
The Alto's parts catalog does not differentiate between the F8D & F10D ECMs. The differences in the way the fuel-injection & ignition is handled is quite interesting though. Anyway, one needs to look up how the tach's handled in the A-Star from it's workshop manual to conclude whether its tach is compatible with the Alto. I've been informed that the ECM terminal arrangement may not be the same in the newer Altos, i.e. clear-lens ones. Please verify with the terminal arrangement in your car before proceeding with this mod. Else, you could save yourself a lot of trouble & get an aftermarket tach that supports 3 cylinders (yes, some do).
Hey, @im_srini, where did you get this diagrams from? I searched for the parts catalog, couldn't find one. Is possible to get this diagrams of the alto (2010) for the type 2 with 32 bit ecu.
Old 12th November 2022, 16:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: Alto Lxi Speedo Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensonTom401 View Post
Hey, @im_srini, where did you get this diagrams from? I searched for the parts catalog, couldn't find one. Is possible to get this diagrams of the alto (2010) for the type 2 with 32 bit ecu.
This is from the workshop manual of the respective vehicle. You should be able to order the workshop manual for the 2010 Alto which would cover the variant you have. Inquire with the Maruti Genuine Parts dealer for the workshop manual and ensure its for the correct model year before placing the order. Sometimes there will be a supplementary manual and you may or may not require it.

If someone here has the part number of the 2010 Alto workshop manual and if they could share that it ill make it easier for you.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks