Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2016, 02:09   #46
BHPian

re: The Death Of Side Mirrors ?

Does Anyone remember seeing a mirror on the rear door of SUVs as it was very difficult for the driver to reverse these cars without these and today even a tiny Hatch gets a reverse camera that too night Vision. I feel that same is the future for Side rear view mirrors is. They will eventually be replaced by cameras and help reduce the drag and noise. Let's see how long it takes before all mass market cars are equipped with these.
nik0502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 10:09   #47
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Death Of Side Mirrors ?

This change, if and when it comes into effect, will take quite a while to get used to. Esp. given how multi-faceted OVRMs have become: proximity sensors to show vehicles in the blindspot, heated mirrors, integrated cameras to show lane while turning.

OT: Tesla cars have door handles that go flush with the doors when the car is in motion, the intent being similar (reducing drag, and cool factor).

And you could write a book on the problems with those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
This is something similar to which Honda has already implemented in its cars wherein you can see the complete view of the passenger side on the dashboard monitor the moment you turn the indicator on to change the lane.
But then, the camera that allows that is mounted on the OVRMs! :P
Old 16th February 2016, 11:03   #48
BHPian

Nothing to do with side mirrors but the Saleen S7 did away with an IRVM. Instead it had a camera for that purpose with the camera feed being displayed on the screen on the dashboard. This was back in the early 2000s.

I guess even the LFA has a similar setup. The Porsche 918 Concept Study had cameras in place of side mirrors.
Old 16th February 2016, 11:13   #49
BHPian

Wouldn't it be a little risky - looking at the camera while trying to turn would mean taking your eyes off the road! I'd rather have the side mirrors since you can have an eye on the traffic in front. I guess it would be okay if the camera is positioned as it is shown in the picture in the article. Any lower than that, though, and it would be risky in my opinion.

Also, a little tricky would be judging the distance in a camera vis a vis a side mirror.

Last edited by sanmish : 16th February 2016 at 11:35.
Old 16th February 2016, 11:30   #50
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Old school as it may seem, my view is that technology definitely has a role to play but depending only on it isn't the right thing to do.

I would always say use the mirrors diligently when driving (look at the ORVM's and the IRVM to always get the "feel" for traffic that's moving beside and behind your car) but always "look over your shoulder" when finally making lane changes - this is still the safest and best way.
Old 16th February 2016, 11:49   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
But then, the camera that allows that is mounted on the OVRMs! :P
True, the camera is mounted on the OVRMs but tomorrow if they decide to get rid of the OVRMs can they not completely replace them by cameras? What I mean to say is this is not something new, this option is already available in some of the cars but along with OVRMs.
Old 16th February 2016, 17:48   #52
BHPian

Just for reversing the car and in offroad vehicles (on demand), I would really love to have a 360° out of the cockpit view like the one we get in racing games. Apart from that the ORVMs are more than enough for regular driving.
Old 16th February 2016, 18:10   #53
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Tech: Digital Rear View Mirror?

The tech is good, but it will sure take us a long time to get used to how cars look without the mirrors! ORVMs are an important design element. Doesn't this Jetta seem a bit empty? Like something is missing?

New Tech: Digital Rear View Mirror?-jetta-quarter.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 17:21   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The tech is good, but it will sure take us a long time to get used to how cars look without the mirrors! ORVMs are an important design element. Doesn't this Jetta seem a bit empty? Like something is missing?

Attachment 1477162

In addition to the design element, ORVMs also help in estimating the width of the car while traversing narrow / crowded roads.
The notion that if the ORVMs pass a gap without scraping the vehicles/ obstructions on the sides, then the driver can be assured knowing that the rest of the car will pass that gap safely. 😀
aamateen46 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 09:44   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hahaha yup man they are the car's ears for Christ's sake! Can't take them away just like that Besides, I feel too much digital dependence is not a good thing atleast customers should have the option of sticking to regular analogue stuff in the future like normal ORVMs. What if the car battery is dead and I am steering it out of the garage while it is being pushed by a mate? Or if I am just waiting for someone on a street with the engine switched off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamateen46 View Post
In addition to the design element, ORVMs also help in estimating the width of the car while traversing narrow / crowded roads.
The notion that if the ORVMs pass a gap without scraping the vehicles/ obstructions on the sides, then the driver can be assured knowing that the rest of the car will pass that gap safely. ��
+1 good point.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th May 2016 at 09:47.
Old 29th May 2016, 10:38   #56
BHPian

There is already a way to get this function (albeit in a somewhat limited fashion) with the XUV500 W10 and W8's with cameras installed.

Info>Rev Camera will show you the rear view in the infotainment system if a rear camera is installed.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 24th September 2017 at 11:24. Reason: typo
Old 9th June 2016, 06:54   #57

Hatch back cars not having rear wiper and spray washer, face issues especially during rains. I would like to try rear view mirror with a dedicated monitor, on my Ertiga. i.e during routine driving also (not reversing alone). Any suggestions?
Old 22nd September 2017, 14:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

Was thinking of a DIY project of installing cameras as ORVM's and then came across this article.
https://www.drivespark.com/four-whee...rs-015650.html
Old 22nd September 2017, 14:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

This technology is similar, in essence, to a digital camera user, using an electric viewfinder.
We can go on and on about "benefits" of an electronic screen/viewfinder.
But, in reality a good old mirror/prism is any day faster (works at the speed of light & shows the real perspective).

Same applies to automobiles.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks