Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2012, 07:06   #1
Team-BHP Support

New Tech: Digital Rear View Mirror?

Audi is coming up with a new technology for safe driving – digital rear view mirror. Could be a boon in the era of diminishing rear glass area. This technology was successfully premiered in the Le Mans 24 hours, and expected to get into production in the Audi R8 e-tron by year end.

New Tech: Digital Rear View Mirror?-largenews_6094.jpg
Detailed write-up here: Digital Rear View Mirror Anyone? - Singapore Motoring News - Oneshift.com

Source: www.oneshift.com

Note: Moderators, please move into relevant section, if the current one is not appropriate. Thanks!

Last edited by vb-saan : 16th August 2012 at 07:08.
vb-saan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 08:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Tech: Digital Rear View Mirror?

An idea that was just waiting to happen. Improved aerodynamics and lower wind noise are additional benefits.

[Humor]However if it comes with a switch then (down the line when this becomes common) most Indian drivers will keep it switched off to "conserve" like they drive with folded ORVM's today. 8-)
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 08:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Audi is coming up with a new technology for safe driving – digital rear view mirror. Could be a boon in the era of diminishing rear glass area. This technology was successfully premiered in the Le Mans 24 hours, and expected to get into production in the Audi R8 e-tron by year end.

[/i]
I believe this technology is already implemented in Lamborghini Urus. They use camera instead of regular OVRM's.
Old 16th August 2012, 11:06   #4
BHPian

Have seen something similar is Volvo buses. With digital cameras becoming cheaper than electric ORVMs, this should soon find their way into all cars.
Old 16th August 2012, 11:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Improved aerodynamics and lower wind noise are additional benefits.
How ? Please explain. This screen is in the centre of your car in the interior where your current RVM is located. And I don't think the side rear view mirrors are the thing of the past with this technology in place.

Good technology for the cars which have very short or non existent rear glass.

Last edited by TaurusAl : 16th August 2012 at 11:10.
Old 16th August 2012, 11:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
An idea that was just waiting to happen. Improved aerodynamics and lower wind noise are additional benefits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
How ? Please explain. This screen is in the centre of your car in the interior where your current RVM is located. And I don't think the side rear view mirrors are the thing of the past with this technology in place.
I think he meant that the designers can design the rear end of the car for better aero dynamic efficiency and lower wind noise without taking into consideration, the visibility issues which put constraints on the design.
The Volvos (atleast the BMTC ones) already have this rear view (albeit a simple camera & screen mechanism), as there is a huge blind spot behind them due to the design.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 11:45   #7
BHPian

this is how the actual camera (for OVRM) may look like:
this is an Audi, displayed during 2009 Detroit Auto Show.
Attached Thumbnails
New Tech: Digital Rear View Mirror?-dsc_6170.jpg  

infotech58 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 11:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Finally! I am eagerly waiting for this to come into our day-to-day cars. How hard can it be? These days reverse cameras have become a normal accessory and the same reverse camera could be used to see the rear view during normal operations(volvo bus like). This would be a boon during bad weather driving and can have in-built rear collision warning. wait I am starting to go into too much of a dream world.
Actually, the trams/trains/buses in some cities of Germany use such cameras for a clear rear view at the entrances.

With Heads up display, Rear view cameras and soon joysticked control(I wish mercedes brought that car into the market!), I am sure, automobiles are getting closer to flying. Only thing missing is a Gas turbine engine with after burners.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 16th August 2012 at 11:59.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 12:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

It was the reverse rear view camera, showing the rear as well as the angle of your car, then was the night vision for the front, and Vow now a rear view camera in place of a mirror.
Its all a matter of getting used to these and getting lazier!! IMO european cars are getting more and more OVER Engineered reducing life cycles and reliability.
Old 16th August 2012, 12:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Acura TL concept for 2004 had video ORVM and air windshield cleaners for better aerodynamics.
I think multiple cameras with some clever combining to eliminate blind corners would be a welcome thing.
Old 16th August 2012, 15:51   #11
BHPian

There is one problem though, you won't get any depth with a digital mirror...
on our normal mirrors we can still perceive depth.

I wanted to do that on my car, one wide screen where i can have 3 feeds [Left, Right and Center] seamlessly stitched, so i don't need to look at 3 individual mirrors all the time, but can see all 3 in one go.
Sprucegoose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 18:03   #12
BHPian

IMO this will be a make-or-break deal if the rear glass is gone, and the camera/display fails. Kind of like driving a power-steering-equipped car with the power steering disabled, but much more difficult and dangerous.

To be fair, I think the view from the camera will be much better than the one we currently have from inside the cabin. With the appropriate wide-angle lenses of course.
Old 16th August 2012, 18:35   #13
BHPian

I believe some of the new gen Volvo cars come with the side view camera's along with the regular ones. Not sure if they are activated only while parking/ revesing..
Old 16th August 2012, 22:25   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
this is how the actual camera (for OVRM) may look like:
this is an Audi, displayed during 2009 Detroit Auto Show.
Guess the image is displayed on the screen that is strapped on to the A pillar.

I feel the wing mirrors are a vital visual design element of the car. A car without wing mirrrors looks like something that's got its ears snipped.

For the IRVM , I can understand. Some cars have small rear glasses and visibility is restricted. But for the wing mirror?? Whats wrong with a simple convex wing mirror? why complicate things unnecessarily? A while lot of electronics and circuitry to display the same thing a simple piece of glass can do. This is over engineering in my book.
Old 16th August 2012, 22:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Guess the image is displayed on the screen that is strapped on to the A pillar.
yes, the image is displayed on the screen mounted on A pillar. there was another implementation of this concept by another company (probably Lexus - will try to find the image) wherein L/R OVRM and IVRM output was fed to a central display on dashboard.

i do not see L/R OVRM being replaced with cameras in near or distant future in normal cars; simple wing mirrors are much cheaper to produce and they add sort of character to the car; however one advantage of cameras in place of wing mirrors may be in cold climates eliminating the need of heated mirrors.

another photo (wing cameras, and front camera/sonar):
Attached Thumbnails
New Tech: Digital Rear View Mirror?-nissan.jpg  

Last edited by infotech58 : 16th August 2012 at 23:00.
infotech58 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks