Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

I've just enquired with VST Motors.
If the vehicle has extended warranty, then timing Chain is replaced under warranty and we need to pay for Labour, oil, loaders and sealant which comes around 6k. Otherwise it comes around 8k includes chain.
Cars which were replaced earlier during recall with specific chassis no don't need a replacement @ 60k service.
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:53   #17
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD - Timing Chain

Folks, similar news here
Today the Service Advisor at Concorde Motors, Dairy Circle BLR suggested that Fiat is doing a in-warranty (=> no cost for the timing chain) replacement for all cars. He also estimated that the car needs to be taken for 2 days, due to the work load they have.

BTW, I had taken my car there for getting the strut pads changed (this is now the 2nd time I am replacing it at the annual service). I also was informed that the front shocks need to be changed as they have become very weak. So how has been your experience on this
- Have you also faced the issue of having to replace the strut pads every year (after 20000kms)?
- How long has your front shocks lasted?
My car has now done 35000 kms, with regular service and a 70%-30% city-highway ratio (and looked after very caringly :-)).
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

No ways can the labour for the timing chain replacement be more than 1.5K incl of taxes.

The cost of the timing chain is around 980 bucks or so. The cam chain will have an auto tensioner which manages the tightness of the timing chain. So if its been asked to change at 60K, please get it done under warranty which should cover the labour as well. Consumables can be chargeable.

Tell the SA that you would seek a confirmation from FIAT and the labour would be waived off almost immediately.
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap
No ways can the labour for the timing chain replacement be more than 1.5K incl of taxes.

The cost of the timing chain is around 980 bucks or so. The cam chain will have an auto tensioner which manages the tightness of the timing chain. So if its been asked to change at 60K, please get it done under warranty which should cover the labour as well. Consumables can be chargeable.

Tell the SA that you would seek a confirmation from FIAT and the labour would be waived off almost immediately.
Labour is not included in Extended Warranty.
Labour will be charged from 3 year/ 45k kms service though you have an Extended Warranty.
Old 23rd August 2012, 07:32   #20
BHPian

i guess we fiat owners have no option but to get this done.. i am very skeptical of doing this work at the service station.. Just the worry that something which is working properly might screw up.

Other issues i am facing now includes Occasional Air Bag Failure warning popping up. Service advisor indicated that the battery might be on the way out.

Will be taking my vehicle for Engine oil + oil filter change at 52500.
(my oil change intervals have been hap hazard at 3K, 12K, 20K, 29K, 38K, 45K as i am trying to stick to 7500-8000Km interval for oil change. The service advisor at KHT just doesn't understand why!
As of now they all remember me as the mad fellow in a red linea with TBHP sticker who keeps changing oil UN-necessarily!!)

So at the 60K service, i am looking at

1) Engine oil + oil filter + diesel Filter + air filter + A/C filter
2) Brake pads
3) Timing Kit
4) General service
5) Transmission oil & power steering oil change ( guess it needs to be changed at 60K)
6) Possibly a new battery

Regards
Old 23rd August 2012, 07:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdadi View Post
Folks, similar news here
Today the Service Advisor at Concorde Motors, Dairy Circle BLR suggested that Fiat is doing a in-warranty (=> no cost for the timing chain) replacement for all cars. He also estimated that the car needs to be taken for 2 days, due to the work load they have.

BTW, I had taken my car there for getting the strut pads changed (this is now the 2nd time I am replacing it at the annual service). I also was informed that the front shocks need to be changed as they have become very weak. So how has been your experience on this
- Have you also faced the issue of having to replace the strut pads every year (after 20000kms)?
- How long has your front shocks lasted?
My car has now done 35000 kms, with regular service and a 70%-30% city-highway ratio (and looked after very caringly :-)).

What ever do they mean by its become weak!!! either ways i believe it is covered under warranty. I have had my strut mount pad changed 3 times, under warranty. the first two sets conked up in under 38000 Kms. The 3rd set is seeming to hold good.( @50500 Kms now)

Regards
Old 18th September 2012, 10:25   #22
BHPian

Guys, I too had to give my car for service today (4th year routine). I had slowed down a lot on car as I had clocked more miles on bicycle. 50,000 km on odo. I knew that my timing chain was not right as I could make out from the idling noise. Now, concorde engineers told me that the belt and associated gears have to be replaced. 13500 including labour. But my car has not yet done 60000 km.

Needless to say, I had replaced one strut and anti-roll bars (during warranty), strut mounts, clutch slave cylinder sleeves (I hope, I got that right) one of the lower arms. Now this one. I abuse the car a bit and hence I had never blamed them for the suspension related issues. My alloys are witness to the abuse. All four alloys are almost in unusable condition. But this timing chain issue is just too much. No choice. I had asked them to replace it. Else, cam shaft will get cut (as per them).

I had also asked for the ground clearance kit to be installed.

[Edit:] Called up the service advisor. He now tells me that chain (1K) and labour (3K) will not be charged. Other related damages will be charged, which they think will be there (from what they guessed based on the noise). I know the service engineer and he is usually very good in work. I will keep some faith in him now

Last edited by opendro : 18th September 2012 at 10:45.
Old 31st October 2012, 19:25   #23
BHPian

Here is my current situation and the following is the mail I sent to Fiat and on which they are looking at..
My car brokedown on highway and escaped an accident..

Edit:will update shortly
Old 31st October 2012, 19:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Does this recall apply only for the Linea or for Punto as well? From the circular it appears to be applicable to Linea only ; why not the 90 HP Punto then - they both share the same engine .

EDIT : found this from TFI http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/f...2-india-57195/

I find it rather hard to believe a timing chain being replaced @ 60,000 km - and customers being asked to pay for it.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 31st October 2012 at 20:20.
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Timing chain doesn't need replacement. I am running my swift Diesel for 1Lkms without any worries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
My friend's swift diesel has not needed a timing chain overhaul even at 1.1L kms.
Normally the timing kit replacement comes around 1L kms. Please check the service manual and check whether it has asked to changed the timing chain at 1L. If the timing chain does something crazy when used even after it has aged out, then the results could be disastrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post

This is what is my apprehension is, as well. But, they are charging for this.
I guess the ones who got their timing chain replaced during the re-call may not have to replace it again at 60k.
Old 2nd November 2012, 13:25   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

The manual does not mention replacement of timing chain. Only inspection is advised. As per maruti advertisement, the timing chain is totally maintenance free. Taking some exageration into account one can assume around one lakh km of life easily. I know many such examples of six digit run swift D that haven't required a replacement. Of course, preventive maintenance is always preferable but still when maruti does not recommend, why cry about it? They are responsible enough IMO. For cars with belts they advise replacement at 80k kms. So why wouldn't they for cars with timing chains?
Old 5th November 2012, 17:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The manual does not mention replacement of timing chain. Only inspection is advised. As per maruti advertisement, the timing chain is totally maintenance free. Taking some exageration into account one can assume around one lakh km of life easily. I know many such examples of six digit run swift D that haven't required a replacement. Of course, preventive maintenance is always preferable but still when maruti does not recommend, why cry about it? They are responsible enough IMO. For cars with belts they advise replacement at 80k kms. So why wouldn't they for cars with timing chains?
According to some of the previous posts and the article in indiancarbikes.in, only 90HP engines are having this issue. Swift D has the 75HP engine. Maruti has put the 90HP engine in SX4 in 2011 and then in Ertiga this year. It is not likely that any of these cars have clocked more than 60K km till now. I hope Maruti has not overlooked this potentially serious issue.
Old 12th August 2014, 09:17   #28

Hello,

I just got my Linea MJD 2010 model serviced at 60K.

Service included, change of all fluids, (Eng, Trans, steer, etc)

All filters. Cost 12000/-

Apart from the above , the vehicle has several trailing problems.

Clutch replacement, - about 7500/-
Cooling coil, 6500/-
timing belts - 6500/-
plus some misc, like turbo manifold, some transmission C bolt,

In all my billing was about 37600/-

This is the most I have paid for the car ever.

There is still so much more to do.

Lower arms, brake pads,
I have managed to procure a GC Kit from Mr Kartik ( Banglore) but unable to get it to Hyderabad since long.

So waiting for it to arrive then get the work done as I was promised a common charge for completing these jobs.
Approximate dent of Rs 15000/- (Excluding cost of the GC kit).

After my clutch replacement, the clutch action has become butter soft, but when i slowly release the clutch, there is a slight shudder then its ok.
Is that condition normal with new clutch?

The SA said its nothing abnormal.
Old 13th October 2014, 22:38   #29

URGENT.....!!!!! Linea MJD early 2010 done 58000 kms. Out of warranty and out of extended warranty-Lots of engine noise. Taken to the dealer for check up, suggested timing chain replacement-gave the go ahead, when engine disassembly started, timing chain spacer found broken......debris from this part have circulated inside the engine.....cam shaft bushes have scratches.......turbo is leaking....advised to go for a complete engine overhaul....cost 1-1.5 lakhs.....unable to decide....don't want to invest so much in a 4.5 year old car.....any suggestions or comments would be very helpful....I was in Bangalore ....now both me and my car are based out of Agra....
Old 30th November 2014, 22:32   #30
BHPian

I am planning to take my linea for a long travel (around 2000+ Kms). 4 months back, did the fourth paid service at Ramkay Service Center. The kilometer reading was 54000 when I gave for service. They suggested me to replace the Timing kit. Since the total service cost including some worn out spares was almost 35K , I told I'll get it done when it reaches 60K kilometers.
Question to all linea owners is -
1) Can I take my car for the long trip without the Timing kit changed (it's going to cost be around 8k)?
2) Is it recommended to get the car inspected before going for such long drives?

-qARS

Last edited by qAnand : 30th November 2014 at 22:33.

Most Viewed